Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

bed bug bite huge swelling

(17 posts)
  1. bview

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 18:48:56
    #

Login to Send PM

This last year our apartment had been infested with bedbugs. We had a PCO come out and it seems cleaned. I always show bites and did not have any for a few months. I noticed last night what looked like a mosquito bite on my arm. As the night went on I saw four small marks and some swelling around them that could have been a bedbug bite. Today it has swollen up extremely large. I have pictures below showing it but it basically goes from my armpit down to my elbow and wrapped its way most of the way around my arm. I always had large swelling from the bites but I have never reacted this extremely to a bite before so I am not sure if it is a bedbug bite or somthing else.
    picture 1

more zoomed in where the bites seemed to be
    picture 2

Oh also the actual four bites that were visible before are quite hard to see now.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 19:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Goodness...do you think you could get a doctor to look at this very quickly? Could it be a spider bite?

Very large and very swollen.

I vote for the emergency room

Is it itchy?

Painful?

3. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 20:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ohhhh, that doesn't look good. I have to put in my vote for the emergency room as well. If it gets bigger and you start developing other symptoms, it could turn ugly quickly. Better to be safe than sorry.

4. bview

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 0:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Just now seeing your posts. I did not go in to the doctor but I had been thinking about it esp. if it got worse. It is itchy yes and somewhat warm to the touch. Other than that it just kinda feels swollen. It doesn't hurt or hinder the use of my arm, but yeah is just huge. I don't know if it hasn't gone down by morning or gets any worse tonight I will probably run into the ER quick.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 1:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Warm, red, and swollen can indicate a serious infection. You need to have a doctor check it out.

6. OCDthx2BBs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 1:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't open the pics for some reason, but your bites sound like mine were. They started out as bites, became swollen welts and then covered large areas that became hives. You can get hives from any insect bite that you have a reaction to though. Sure it's BB's?? You can go to the ER but I would try to take oral benadryl or zyrtec first. If it doesn't improve, the ER or any dr can prescribe you corticosteroids to help.

7. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 2:04:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This is not a case where OTC antihistamines alone are called for.

There's a lot of swelling there; get in to see a medical professional as soon as possible. It could be something serious. If it's not bug related, you need to get it seen to.

And if that's your body's allergic reaction to bug bites, it would seem to me that you're in real danger of developing escalating responses that could easily shade from the "wow this really itches" variety into the "I can't breathe any more" variety.

I don't say such things lightly because I don't want to cause undue alarm; however, that first photo isn't like anything I've seen here before. since I don't know what it is and it looks substantial, medical help is in order.

8. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 7:19:26
    #

Login to Send PM

i wonder how you're doing, bview...

9. bview

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 9:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm feeling fine. Gonna run into the doctor before work this morning here. The redness has spread a little but overall it feels less swollen. It doesn't seem like it would cause any immediate harm but like buggyinsocal said its so extreme that I want to get it looked at because I've never had this kinda thing happen before.

10. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 10:34:14
    #

Login to Send PM

please let us know how you make out...

11. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 12:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

never saw anything like that.
    if bb free for a while now...it could surely be something else? Get to the dr. i would.

12. jknyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 12:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually very similar bites when I had bedbugs (and they might be back...), not quite as large as yours, but I did have a couple times where the bites started out as a small red mosquito bite-like mark, and grew over the next day or 2 to be about the size of a softball, if not larger. I have pretty sensitive skin, so even mosquito bites tend to react worse for me than most people, so I always assumed that was the reason. I'm lucky that the bites I had that reacted so badly only occurred a few times a month, and it was during the winter so they were always covered with clothing on my legs or arms. Now that it's getting into summer, I'm very nervous that mine might be back...had a couple bites appear last week and am having my PCO come back for a follow-up treatment tomorrow, so hoping for the best.

Definitely let us know what your doctor has to say, I'd be very interested since mine were so similar and I never actually went to get a medical opinion for mine.

13. jknyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 13:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

and just to add in a little more info on when I was regularly getting bedbug bites like yours a few months ago. I had been getting about 3-4 a month from around Sept/Oct. of last year through March (when I finally found an actual bedbug and had a PCO come). After getting my apartment treated, the PCO was asking me questions about how long I had been getting bites, etc...when I told him how that it had been months, he was 100% positive that there was no way the bites all the way back to Sept/Oct. The evidence of my bedbugs was so minor that he said if it had been bedbugs that entire time, the infestation would have grown incredibly larger by then. He was convinced that the older bites were from something else; mites, spiders, anything else he said.

Although his theory did make sense, it still seems so unlikely to me that I would start getting random bug bites from something completely unknown at the SAME time I got bed bugs?

14. bview

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 21:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Doctor said it was infected and diagnosed as cellulitis. Its swollen up a lil more than the original pictures I posted but on antibiotics now so it should start going down quickly otherwise I need to go back.

15. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 23:15:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there bview, hope you're on the mend soon

16. eaten_alive

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 1:53:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes, those look like how some of my bites ended up when I would first get bitten. I'm allergic to all bug bites (mosquito, spider, bee stings, etc) so I was told to elevate and ice any bites I get and applying a prescription cream (betamethasone dipropionate) twice a day for 5 days, once a day for 5 more days. I had an infected bite once and had surgery though, so def see docs if you can.

17. GruvngurL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 21:05:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Same thing has been happening to me. I just discovered today that it must be bed bugs that are causing cellulitus. (I found one inside the fold of the mattress) My first one I thought it was a spider bite. Mine was on my elbow and swelled uncontrollably and itched and burned and was very tender, red, and painful and within 8 hrs I was in the ER! They said it was cellulitus and gave me antibiotics and steroids. I ended up with a few more shortly after but was already on antibiotics and they eventually went away.

Just 2 weeks ago I was hospitalized from one on my knee which turned into staph!! My entire leg doubled in size!! This morning I had 3 bites-2 on one elbow and 1 on the other and knew immediately it was the same prob (that was when I tore my bed apart and found one of the little blood suckers) so I took Benadryl ASAP but they are continuing to swell considerably. I guess it's another trip to the ER for me. This will make trip #4 in 2 months. But at least now I know what the bites are from and that I'm not the only one having severe reactions.

I got my first one at work, then 2 from my car, so I must have brought them home from my job because until I started working in that house I never had them. I work in a home with a mentally retarded person. Looks like I need to report this to my agency and get them to treat my client's home as I will be doing the same.

Good luck everyone and if your bite swells considerably and feels warm get to a Dr. ASAP! At the ER I was told I could have actually became septic from it and possibly even had to have my leg amputated or even died from it!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,157 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter