Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed bug activity in winter?

(26 posts)
  1. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 11:14:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Our infestation was found in the spring. I believe that the bugs may have been brought in during the holiday season. (If it was from the source I think it was, it may have been brought in much earlier than that and we just didn't react to the bites for a LONG time, who knows)
    In saying this, I have a question about bbug activity during the winter months. If cold slows their activity down then one would expect to get less frequent bites, no?
    But then I'm thinking that the structure/room temp would still be about 70 degrees so then activity/bites would be the same? Anyone know stats on this? Or anyone dealt with their infestation during the cold season to clarify?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 12:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If the bed bugs are indoors, it is only indoor temps that matter. Unlikely to change much since you probably have your home at a fairly even temp.

(Mine, in fact, is warmer in winter than in summer, since I live in an overheated NYC apt. and love my summer a/c.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 13:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I thought
    This coming spring I predict to see a huge rise on this site and infestations in general. All the holiday travel..flying, hotels, kids coming home from school etc.. then in march/april....people will be noticing what else came into their home.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 14:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Paula,
    I used to say that too: after holidays, at the end of summer, at the beginning of holidays when kids come home from college, that's when it will spike.

In fact, if the readership of the blog correlates with the number of people with bed bugs, as I suspect it does, there don't seem to be obvious spikes (except when the site is mentioned in the press). It just grows and grows. The popularity of this site is bad news: it means people are suffering. What a drag.

5. chrismarker

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 15:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

everyone I know who has gotten bedbugs has gotten them during the fall right after school starts. hmm

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 16:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I think when you get them often can be different from when you first detect them.

Sometimes it takes a while for the population to build up to a point where people notice them. Sometimes it takes a while for the host to realize it's not allergies, or mosquito bites, or adult acne, or spider bites, or scabies, or a skin reaction to something ... sometimes it even takes a while to get out of the sheer, simple denial that "It can't possibly be bedbugs!" Look at the people here who have to convince people who live in the same space that it is bedbugs.

7. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 18:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Chrismarker... The people you know, are they families with college kids or little ones may I ask? or both?

8. chrismarker

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 21:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

paula- everybody i know that has gotten bedbugs has been adult graduate students or young professionals in NYC who live in apt buildings or two family houses. and they started noticing/treating their infestations in early fall
    (of course, that is the demographic I work with and know socially).

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 22:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Chrismarker, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea on how much it's spread so far. I hear the bbugs are in schools and such now in areas. (Obviously it's in the college dorms, but thinking more of grade schools) That worries me for one of my children starts school next year. Once it hits a school I don't see anyway not to bring the bugs back in the home. It's not like I can teach a 4 yr old how to be leary and check for bedbugs. And having twins 18mnths younger than her I don't know how I can attempt to get everyone in the van and home "bug free" everyday. Thanks for the info.

10. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 22:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Chrismarker, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea on how much it's spread so far. I hear the bbugs are in schools and such now in areas. (Obviously it's in the college dorms, but thinking more of grade schools) That worries me for one of my children starts school next year. Once it hits a school I don't see anyway not to bring the bugs back in the home. It's not like I can teach a 4 yr old how to be leary and check for bedbugs. And having twins 18mnths younger than her I don't know how I can attempt to get everyone in the van and home "bug free" everyday. Thanks for the info.

11. stamps

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 10:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Paula --

Also wanted to throw in my $.02 . . . I do believe I got my bedbugs from grade school, where I'm a teacher. I work with an extremely low-income population, much of which lives in substandard housing. I think a lot of the kids live in a local apartment complex which is probably crawling with bugs (yuck).

(I teach in a suburb of Denver, by the way, -- my apartment is in the city and no one else in my building has the critters, keep your fingers crossed they never do!).

I see lots of kids with bites. I hate that it comes to this, but I can no longer hug kids and it breaks my heart. I just tell them that I'm sick and don't want them to catch my cold. I'm the art teacher so I don't have to deal with a steady classroom, but I shudder to think about the regular classrooms and all the backpacks, coats, lunchboxes, etc piled together.

My job makes me more paranoid than anything else these days.

12. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 10:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Stamps. Thanks for the input. I'm sorry you are going thru what you are right now. I believe whether it's low income or not the spread, once in school will mean a town insfestation shortly after.
    It kind of sucks that one has to take the joy out of their profession due to this. Hopefully there will be an end soon.

13. nyjammin

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 20:47:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Stamps: That is sooooo sad What are the ages of your school children? Do you think they know what's going on? I cannot believe that in an era of where humans have walked on the moon, use Star Trek like cell phones for communication, can't even control a damn bug that was once controlled. Or maybe we can w/pesticides that are outlawed now. The older, better, stronger, workable pesticides. But....let's not go there.

14. stamps

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 12:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

nyjammin --

Sorry it took me forever to reply, I actually was in Las Vegas the past few days (unfortunately not a millionaire or else I'd buy myself a nice bed bug-proof bunker!)

Anyway, I teach kids grades K - 5. I think most of them are quite aware of their situation but the parents cannot afford to move them out of that situation. I know lots of them deal with secondhand furniture and clothes (used to see lots of them when I'd go to the local thrift store to buy magazines for collage projects -- not doing that any more!)
    Many of our families are in a no-win situation, work several jobs apiece and live with extended families. Most are here from Mexico and have a language barrier on top of the poverty issue which I'm sure makes the problem even worse. The apartment complex does nothing and some of the older kids have told me that they've never had a treatment despite there clearly being a problem. A lot of the kids have a huge number of bites. It's just so sad that they have to deal with this situation and as far as I can tell, very little is being done to ameliorate things. It's not fair that kids whose families cannot even afford winter coats have this problem on top of everything else.

But enough of that rant. When will the problem be big enough before something is done? Does it have to start affecting the rich and powerful of Denver before action is taken?

Just really frustrating.

15. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 11:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I have noticed that my bed bugs are not eating as much as when it was warmer. I have about 10-15 that I am monitering in their environment (my home) and they are not very active at all. Believe me, I am watching them closely. I have noticed that 3-4 of them have molted and you would think that they would be hungry but they don't come down or at least not while I'm awake. They don't seem to be engorged in the a.m. either. Yes they are alive as I like to tease them. This may sound strange but its how I keep my sanity! They are staying very close to their original spots if they are coming down to feed. Only one I observed this morning looks like he has eaten recently.

16. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 12:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

We discovered our infestation in October 2006. My wifeand dog was reacting to bites and I was not but three months later I had skin reations to bites/past bites/chemicals/stress or all off the above. At that time we had no children and we live in a single family attached row house. My point is that yes schools can be a vehicle for spreading bed bugs but you cannot rule out other things like library books, new or used furniture, public transportation, a newly installed cable box etc... these pests are all around.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 0:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Angie,
    I am confused. They are living "wild" in your room and you see them, but you don't attempt to kill them? So they are still biting you (and therefore breeding new generations)? Am I getting this right?

18. NotSoSnug

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 3:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps Angie is making a noble sacrifice for the betterment of our understanding, they are interesting and intriguing critters I'll give them that. But for me, they're either starving stuck on tape or starving in a jar. No mercy!

19. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 11:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah,I sound like a fruit but I'm am doing this to see what they do and how they live. I am curios about their feeding cycles which to me seem to be less often than I thought. Like I said, only one is engorged and this morning I noticed another one wondering around on the ceiling. He realized that it was daytime when I shined the flashlight on him and high-tailed it back to his hiding spot. As I have said, if they come down, I will kill them. For right now, I am just watching and waiting. I have to do this for me to better understand them and I am also relaying my observations on to the PCO. I don't believe they are biting cuz of their sizes but I am still getting bit. But from below!! They are from the ones I can't see living in the carpet and under the trim that are getting me. I have an apartment on the west of me and one below me that are infested and will be empty in January so that will help when they come to spray me again. I'm really quite sane and am only doing this out of curiosity. No babies have been spotted above but I know they are below.

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 11:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just wanted to add a few points to this one.

I am predicting an resurgence over Xmas because more people will be traveling and thus more exposure events will occur. Either via transport or locations that people stay in.

As people have noted there is a spike in new infestations around holiday times when more people are in transit and stay away from home. In short this is a case of more exposure events relates to more out breaks.

Is a current infestation likely to reduce because of the cold weather outside, sorry no, not unless you start turning all the heating off. It is also worth noting that if you spend time away from an infested location they are more likely to be active when you get back at they may have missed a meal or two.

Well apart from that I hope people managed to get some rest and enjoyment over the festive season.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 12:09:15
    #

Login to Send PM

angie,
    I am sure you realize this but I would assume there are many, many more you don't see, if you see some out in the open. Many people never do.

22. NotSoSnug

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 21:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs: you sure you have enough 'many'? If there's a carpet, doom is at hand.

Angie: I think you are cool for your curiosity, not a fruit.

23. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 21 2007 10:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I had to kill one of my buddys this morning. Actually it was one that I didn't know about. It was in my 9 & 6 yr olds room and it was a full one. It must have fallen off the wall it was crawling up after feasting on one of my kids cuz he got stuck in a tupperware bowl. 9 yr old wanted to keep him but we flushed him instead. I do daily checks of all cracks and crevices and I hadn't seen any in there but the apartment down below is now empty and they are coming up for food. My sanity is waining today. Under ALOT of stress!!!

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 21 2007 11:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, Angie. What's the status on your PCO treatment (last one, next one)?

25. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 21 2007 12:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm having it done after the holidays but now I have another bump in the road. Save that for another time. I wanted to wait til after Christmas so my girls will be back in school and less stress for me but now I am getting evicted so I'm hoping for mercy from the judge to allow us a couple more weeks so I can get sprayed at least one time. Most of our stuff has been bagged and put out in the garage since it is cold now. I'm still watching the bugs on my ceiling cuz I want them for proof for the paper or the t.v. or who ever cares to listen. Want to hear something funny? I found out that the apartment to the west of me is moving and they are giving their couches to an apartment on the 1rst floor. I warned the recipient and my friends who are their neighbors. People are sooo stupid and they don't realize that "I haven't seen any lately" doesn't mean they aren't there. It is cold and they are a little sluggish but not dead. Sorry for getting off track, lots of issues in my head right now. Needing the support!

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 21 2007 12:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Angie,

So sorry you're going through all this.

If you do get on the news about your bed bugs, and you move, and you bring bed bugs to the new place (which can happen even if people take very little), your new landlord might give you a hard time. Frankly, s/he might blame you for any bed bugs that happen to be in the new place, even if you DON'T spread them there, for example, if they are unaware of them or someone introduces them.

I think being on a news report is a great thing to do, but you might use caution in doing so before moving to a new rental. Just something you might want to consider.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,998 posts in 29,382 topics over 90 months by 12,672 of 19,930 members. Latest: bbgoneextreme, Lito, emitchy