Bed / Bat bugs in my new apartment

(13 posts)
  1. damntheseparasites

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

This may sound like a rant, but I've been losing my mind. Nobody to talk to about this.
    I moved about 2.5 weeks ago into a new apartment.

Bug #1
    On my fourth day in my new place I found one of these little bastards in my bathroom next to the sink. I document all insects I don't recognize when I move to a new place and do my best to identify any potential species of pests (I identified and eradicated German roaches in my last apartment). As soon as I zoomed into the pictures and started googling bugs I realized I was dealing with BED BUGS?! WHAT THE FUCK? Unfortunately I had already killed it after taking the picture but here is bug #1:

Bug 1

I documented the absolute shit out of the situation, and blew up the phones at my leasing office. Gave huge color print copies / documentation of the same email I'd sent my landlord to the woman who runs the front desk. I was very clear with the apartment management that I'm 100% not fucking around with bed bugs in a brand new lease. Even the carpet in this place is brand new. My landlord had a pest company come out the next day. They couldn't find anything, and the bug I squished was too mangled to identify. Both the exterminator and my landlord gave zero shits about the photographic evidence I provided. I was told to catch another one and they'd come back to ID it.

Bug #2
    This Monday I found this little piece of shit in the SAME EXACT SPOT on my bathroom counter top while brushing my teeth. I snapped a ton of pictures, gently picked it up with a piece of scotch tape and took even more high res pictures. I put it in a plastic container. I look out the window and see my landlord pulling into the office. I walked right over there and made it her problem before she even had a chance to get out of her truck. I said "this is #2, it's still alive so don't lose him in your office. Expect full documentation from me later today."
    Once again I blew up high res color pictures and attached them to an email with a full write up and sent it to my landlord. I also made her a another folder with a physical copy of the email and pictures and threw it on her desk after work. I wanted her to understand I'm going to be relentless.
    Here is a picture of bug #2:

Bug 2

Fast forward to yesterday. It had been 2 full days since I gave my landlord her new pet and I had yet to receive a single phone call or email from my apartment management. I sent them another email from work yesterday morning.

The email asked them specifically WHAT they had determined the insect to be, WHEN they would have someone come inspect my apartment, and WHY they had gone 2 full days without communication. I immediately got a response from one of the managers, apparently it just slipped their mind to get back to me. She said the insect had been identified as a bat bug. At this point I'm relieved but skeptical. She basically told me they don't have a game-plan but it could be something in the attic (my unit is on the top floor).

I started putting two and two together. The 2nd night in this unit I could hear some kind of rodent bouncing around in the ceiling. I reported it to management but they didn't do a goddamn thing. Then I remembered the weird material on the outside of my building. There is a wire mesh netting on the front of my apartment building. I asked management about it today and they confirmed it was "a deterrent to make it more difficult for bats to enter the attic."

BAM. Now I understand why I have bat bugs. They have scheduled to have someone come out next week. They have not mentioned anything about dusting for bat bugs, they only seem to care about making the noise in the ceiling stop. The place I've found these 2 bugs is directly under an air vent in my bathroom ceiling. I fear that whatever has been living in the attic has damaged air ducts and insects are coming directly from the attic into my apartment.

I haven't been bit yet but I'm scared shitless about these things being in my apartment. Should I demand that my landlord hires an exterminator because bat bugs are known to feed on humans too? I really hope they actually identified this thing. I lived in another unit with this same apartment complex for eight months before moving to this unit due to terrible neighbors and barking dogs. They put forth minimal effort whenever I contact them. I don't trust them at all.

Thanks for reading, and for any feedback you can offer.

Kill them all....
  2. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I got bed bugs in my new apt either, and the landlord blames me for that, and now the PCO won't even help me, I just feel extremely helpless!

3. damntheseparasites

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Helplessstudent - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I got bed bugs in my new apt either, and the landlord blames me for that, and now the PCO won't even help me, I just feel extremely helpless!

Don't take that shit from your landlord. Is it a house or apartment? If they truly care about their property they will work with you. My first piece of advice is to start documenting your communications with your land lord. Does he or she have an email address? Send them an email summarizing the bed bug situation, use clear sentences, and ask them for help. The point of doing so is to create documents that you can utilize in the future to defend yourself if you end up going to court with them.

How long have you been dealing with this?

4. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

damntheseparasites - 1 minute ago  » 

Helplessstudent - 4 minutes ago  » 

Don't take that shit from your landlord. Is it a house or apartment? If they truly care about their property they will work with you. My first piece of advice is to start documenting your communications with your land lord. Does he or she have an email address? Send them an email summarizing the bed bug situation, use clear sentences, and ask them for help. The point of doing so is to create documents that you can utilize in the future to defend yourself if you end up going to court with them.
    How long have you been dealing with this?

It's an apartment, and around 1 month, but I didn't know what was actually going on, so I just notified the landlord last week. Landlord did send PCO to my apt, and implement heat treatment, BUT I still found bugs the night right after the treatment, and after successfully charged me, the PCO now doesn't seem willing to help me again, this is my story: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pco-wont-help-me?replies=3#post-247299
    Is that correct for me to pay for the heat treatment? And should I try to move out? OR at least let the landlord changes me to a different unit ( in a different building which I had lived in for 2 yr without bed bugs)?

5. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm alien to this country, and my home country( or at least my home city) does not have bed bug problem, so I feel reall really helpless, I have to face this all alone, and no one is really willing to help me out. I can barely sleep at night know, I feel I'm dying. Is there any method to overcome the fear to sleep tight?

6. damntheseparasites

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Helplessstudent - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I'm alien to this country, and my home country( or at least my home city) does not have bed bug problem, so I feel reall really helpless, I have to face this all alone, and no one is really willing to help me out. I can barely sleep at night know, I feel I'm dying. Is there any method to overcome the fear to sleep tight?

I don't think it's right that your landlord is charging YOU to fix this problem. Your landlord cannot prove that it was you who brought the bugs into the apartment. It could be one of your neighbors. I've never heard of someone charging a tenant for exterminators.

What state are you living in?

It's hard for me to sleep too, I pulled my bed away from the walls and I don't let my sheets or blankets touch the ground.

7. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 13:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

damntheseparasites - 11 minutes ago  » 

Helplessstudent - 8 minutes ago  » 

I don't think it's right that your landlord is charging YOU to fix this problem. Your landlord cannot prove that it was you who brought the bugs into the apartment. It could be one of your neighbors. I've never heard of someone charging a tenant for exterminators.
    What state are you living in?
    It's hard for me to sleep too, I pulled my bed away from the walls and I don't let my sheets or blankets touch the ground.

Spingfield Missouri
    My landlord insist my neighbours and previous tenants do not have any bed bug problem

8. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 15:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Helpless student, I'm not sure how most cities work but majority of the time the landlord is suppose to take care of the situation and pay the exterminator and anything else. I live in the city of Chicago, bed bug capital city in the nation, and we have certain laws and rules about it. The landlord is suppose to be notified asap and they are suppose to hire an exterminator to come inspect the unit and treat if any evidence is found as well as inspect any adjacent units if living in an apartment building. You need to see if you can find someone who can help you out with this. You should not be taken advantage of. It doesn't matter where the bed bugs came from what matters is getting rid of them. Also, from what I know bed bugs become much more active after treatment. I just don't know how your heating treatment worked. It's suppose to be a certain degree in temperature for a specific time frame or else it won't work at all and it was all for nothing.

Damntheseparasites,
    I would've screamed bloody murder until management fixed the situation. What have you done so far besides moving the bed away from the walls? Do you have any interceptors? Also is your bed frame metal? Usually that helps. See if you can buy bed encasements to at least protect your mattress. It helps to also monitor the progress of treatment. I've never dealt with these things before this year and it's terrible. I never knew how utterly chaotic and real it could be. I don't even wish this on my worst enemy. And have your heard from management regarding a PCO coming to inspect the unit?

9. damntheseparasites

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 16:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

damnbb - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Helpless student, I'm not sure how most cities work but majority of the time the landlord is suppose to take care of the situation and pay the exterminator and anything else. I live in the city of Chicago, bed bug capital city in the nation, and we have certain laws and rules about it. The landlord is suppose to be notified asap and they are suppose to hire an exterminator to come inspect the unit and treat if any evidence is found as well as inspect any adjacent units if living in an apartment building. You need to see if you can find someone who can help you out with this. You should not be taken advantage of. It doesn't matter where the bed bugs came from what matters is getting rid of them. Also, from what I know bed bugs become much more active after treatment. I just don't know how your heating treatment worked. It's suppose to be a certain degree in temperature for a specific time frame or else it won't work at all and it was all for nothing.
    Damntheseparasites,
    I would've screamed bloody murder until management fixed the situation. What have you done so far besides moving the bed away from the walls? Do you have any interceptors? Also is your bed frame metal? Usually that helps. See if you can buy bed encasements to at least protect your mattress. It helps to also monitor the progress of treatment. I've never dealt with these things before this year and it's terrible. I never knew how utterly chaotic and real it could be. I don't even wish this on my worst enemy. And have your heard from management regarding a PCO coming to inspect the unit?

Management has told me they'll have someone coming to look in the attic strictly regarding the noises up there. They have not mentioned any intention to try exterminating the bat bugs. My worry is that the attic access point is in my living room closet. I've only seen 2 of these things because somehow they dropped down into my bathroom from the attic (assumption). I'm terrified that they're going to send someone from maintenance up there and he's going to come back down into my living room and walk around, dropping them all over the place.

I have to go turn in my rent check in half an hour, I'm going to request that management gets a qualified PCO to inspect / treat the attic. I cannot afford a mattress encasement but it's on the list. I got a 10 lb bag of diatomaceous earth and a professional applicator. My entire bathroom has a border of DE, along with my kitchen. I have not put any in the bedroom yet because I haven't been bit, and I haven't seen them anywhere else but the bathroom.

My bed is wood frame but there are not many hiding spots, it only contacts the floor at 4 points (each corner). No box spring because it's a big memory foam mattress. I comb over every inch of the bed at night and haven't found anything.

I'd like to get some climbup points for the bed but I just paid all my bills and it'll have to wait. If I see another one anywhere in my unit I'll be putting DE in my bedroom carpet.

Honestly it seems like management doesn't give a shit about 'bat bugs' because they don't reproduce from human hosts. The first time I get bit I'll be filing a report with the health department, and providing a copy of that report to management. I'm not sure what else I can do right now.

10. Sarrita02

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 23:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a large number of people who don't react to the bites so you may get bit but not know it. We've been dealing with this twice in the last year, body count is up to 21. I'm highly allergic, only been bit twice. No one else is reacting or maybe no one else is getting but we won't really know I guess!

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 4:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

damntheseparasites: Can't see any images via your links.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. Mawiwala

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 11:52:19
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an old thread. Pictures not up anymore i think.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 13:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 1 hour ago  » 
    This is an old thread. Pictures not up anymore i think.

Yes, a year. I thought the most recent post was from someone who was able to see the old links.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

266,826 posts in 43,337 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7