Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Bean leaf technology

(9 posts)
  1. sassy123

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 6 2014 8:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know what's going on with developments regarding this new technology? It looked promising. Do you think it will work?

I was looking at Fibertrap who was supposed to come out with something. Does anyone know anything about that or any other company that's working on this new technology.

2. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 23:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I was looking at Fibertrap - yesterday. I wrote to the email address on their website at http://www.fibertrap.com yesterday, and have not seen a reply yet. I called them this morning and left a voice-mail. I've not gotten a return call yet.

I imagine that if they start getting hundreds of calls, and perhaps thousands of calls from us on bedbugger.com and elsewhere, perhaps it'll drive some more action.

I applied for a patent two years ago, and still don't have one - been through a lot of rebuttal letters back and forth to the US Patent Office, and so far, 75% of my original ideas can be patented (not bed bug-related invention). Inventions take time.

I believe Stony Brook University Materials Science's Dept is at their prototype stage at the moment. I sure would like to buy some of their prototype. Or, at least get the recipe, and hire a factory to make it for me.

We can look at the US Patent website to see if perhaps their application is public, and then maybe they have the recipe there so others can make it (not to sell it, as that'd be patent infringement). It's in a patent pending state now though, as far as I know.

The idea was spun up by 3 high schoolers in Dix Hills, Long Island. It's cruel that mankind is still befuddled by this tiny bug! Go high schoolers, go!

3. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 23:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

There are guidelines online to grow one's own kidney bean plant - the trouble is it takes about 3 months to harvest. Or one can try to buy one already grown from a bean farmer. I googled to buy one to try it out - to strew kidney bean leaves under and around my bed (they need to be fresh, apparently, and dry out quickly). I wasn't able yet to find a farmer to buy that from. I see a market niche though.

I believe UC Irvine is working on an artificial leaf, but so far, have found that the artificial spikes on the artificial leaves don't work like the real thing. Their research began about a year ago, and I've not seen anything up to date on that.

At a point, I half-dream of buying a thousand hungry spiders, setting them loose in my bedroom, leaving for a week, coming back and fogging the house for spiders, and then living happily ever after.

4. Daylight

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 8 2014 14:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

This would be a great tool if it were accessible and practical . Hopefully some ambitious heroes will get it rolling for us. I read in another article that after they (people from the Balkans and Eastern Europe) gathered the bean leaves up off the floor with the bugs attached, they would just burn it all together (not possible in most city limits or small developments). We could bag it up and place in trash or destroy another way maybe..

We need people to continue to think outside the box for ways to combat this bug. It's encouraging to know ideas are out there, and hopefully they can someday help in the control and elimination (wouldn't that be nice) of this scourge.
    Kudos to our high schoolers too!

5. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 8 2014 14:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Daylight and Sassy123, I've sent you messages on this site to exchange things we find helpful in reducing and (hopefully) exterminating this scourge.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/pm.php

6. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 8 2014 14:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Daylight, we do need people to continue to think outside the box, you're right.

Off I go to get a glass bowl to build me a hopefully better bed bug trap, based on the "Missouri Method", which you can google.

7. sassy123

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 8 2014 14:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for your reply. Yes, it would be good. On the other hand I have heard about a fungi that has been submitted for EPA approval that has been shown to kill them. Below is the website. I hope this works because there are too many people suffering because of these pests.

http://www.heritagepestcontrolnj.com/blog/2014/06/20/penn-state-asks-epa-for-new-bed-bug-spray-approval/

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2014 2:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 12 hours ago  » 
    Hi Daylight and Sassy123, I've sent you messages on this site to exchange things we find helpful in reducing and (hopefully) exterminating this scourge.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/pm.php

Just curious-- why wouldn't you have such discussions on the actual forums themselves?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2014 12:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have, nobugsonme. The private messages are to make some pals along the way. As anyone knows, having bed bugs is quite lonely due to the social stigma, and the loss of sleep (causes crankiness), so as they say, 'misery loves company.' People without bed bugs find it hard to understand, so it's nice to have some pals as mutual support, even if it's in the online world.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234