1. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 18:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw this site and video.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_12181173_kill-bed-bugs-baking-soda-mixture.html

Any thoughts? Does it work? Is it a DON'T? Will it repel or kill bed bugs?
    I don't know if I do have bed bugs or not, but I have bites. So I think about the possibility of it being fleas, and I web searched that we can kill fleas with half baking soda and salt. But I don't even know if I do have fleas or bed bugs or something else. So I was going to try this :
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111107175500AAFEgy5
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4561018_fleas-naturally-baking-soda-salt.html

But I'm scared that I might be having bed bugs and putting salt and baking soda on the floor , etc. will repel the bed bugs and spread them in the rest of my house?

PS.: I have already look for bed bugs but haven't found any.

Thanks

Further question : Does the other insect spray (tick, flea, etc.) repel bed bugs?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 1:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, RN.

You kill bed bugs by identifying where they are (or are likely to pass) and focusing on those areas. Repellents are not a great idea with bed bugs, as they can drive the bugs into more difficult to treat areas. To the best of my knowledge (and I believe the more expert participants here will agree), if you have bed bugs in your environment, repellents (on you, such as DEET, etc.) will not keep bed bugs from feeding on you long-term.

Many household cleaning products will kill bed bugs that you hit directly. Such contact killers have some value, but will not always solve your problem, as they have no effect if a bug later walks over the surface you sprayed and they have no effect on eggs.

It's unclear what the point is of the video you linked to, despite it being a supposed pro. So, you spread baking soda on the rug. How does that deal with bed bugs that are not on the rug, like ... in the bed frame? Why is he demonstrating in the laundry area, when bed bugs most typically harbor next to where people remain motionless (beds, couches)? If this kills bed bugs, why do you need to vacuum it up weekly? Does baking soda break down? And why does he qualify that after a year of this regimen, you "might" rid your house of bed bugs? Is this a really helpful article, or is this something someone through together in order to score points for posting on eHow, without regard to integrity?

Our FAQ will serve as a good foundation for what you need to know about bed bugs and how to fight them.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 11:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hi, RN.
    You kill bed bugs by identifying where they are (or are likely to pass) and focusing on those areas. Repellents are not a great idea with bed bugs, as they can drive the bugs into more difficult to treat areas. To the best of my knowledge (and I believe the more expert participants here will agree), if you have bed bugs in your environment, repellents (on you, such as DEET, etc.) will not keep bed bugs from feeding on you long-term.
    Many household cleaning products will kill bed bugs that you hit directly. Such contact killers have some value, but will not always solve your problem, as they have no effect if a bug later walks over the surface you sprayed and they have no effect on eggs.
    It's unclear what the point is of the video you linked to, despite it being a supposed pro. So, you spread baking soda on the rug. How does that deal with bed bugs that are not on the rug, like ... in the bed frame? Why is he demonstrating in the laundry area, when bed bugs most typically harbor next to where people remain motionless (beds, couches)? If this kills bed bugs, why do you need to vacuum it up weekly? Does baking soda break down? And why does he qualify that after a year of this regimen, you "might" rid your house of bed bugs? Is this a really helpful article, or is this something someone through together in order to score points for posting on eHow, without regard to integrity?
    Our FAQ will serve as a good foundation for what you need to know about bed bugs and how to fight them.

Thank for your reply.
    But actually, I wanted to put baking soda and salt to kill fleas. I was asking if baking soda and salt would repel bed bugs. Like I said I have to clue iif I do have bed bugs or fleas.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 11:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear random,

If you use the words: baking soda, bed bugs, kill & repell in the same sentence I'm pretty much not reading any further.

Baking soda & salt to kill or repell fleas and/or bed bugs is unheard of and not because it's a newly discovered viable treatment methodology.

Sorry for the sarcasm but let's not believe everything we read or see on a U-tube video. Additionally, any product/methodology that is being touted as "also kills bed bugs" is dubious at best !

It's easy to put a bunch of crap together in a container, mae a bunch of marketing claims and sell it to those who are desperate for relief. Let's all be smarter than that !

PLEASE note that when something really, really works and works well the PROS will know about it and will most likley be using it first.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  5. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Dear random,
    If you use the words: baking soda, bed bugs, kill & repell in the same sentence I'm pretty much not reading any further.
    Baking soda & salt to kill or repell fleas and/or bed bugs is unheard of and not because it's a newly discovered viable treatment methodology.
    Sorry for the sarcasm but let's not believe everything we read or see on a U-tube video. Additionally, any product/methodology that is being touted as "also kills bed bugs" is dubious at best !
    It's easy to put a bunch of crap together in a container, mae a bunch of marketing claims and sell it to those who are desperate for relief. Let's all be smarter than that !
    PLEASE note that when something really, really works and works well the PROS will know about it and will most likley be using it first.

Thanks for the info.

But now, what I should do? I'm still getting bites, my family too. Still don't know why. Do you know any bug trap (flea trap ie) that can be home made?

6. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

random-name - 1 minute ago  » 

Dear random,

Thanks for the info.
    But now, what I should do? I'm still getting bites, my family too. Still don't know why. Do you know any bug trap (flea trap ie) that can be home made?

also, if I clean my house with baking soda (because it's known for a natural cleaning product) will it repel bed bugs spreading them?

7. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

random-name - 17 seconds ago  » 

random-name - 1 minute ago  » 

Dear random,

Thanks for the info.

also, if I clean my house with baking soda (because it's known for a natural cleaning product) will it repel bed bugs spreading them?

info: I don't want them to spread!!!!

8. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

though, not even sure i DO have bb

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

There are ways to make home made traps for fleas and bed bugs.

Check out my previous posts where I tell folks how to do that.

10. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

random-name - 30 minutes ago  » 

though, not even sure i DO have bb

(My bed doesn't have any leg.)
    Can you tell me what is the category of the forum? There are so much forums I can't find!
    thx

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I had trouble finding the thread Paul was referring to -- the search engine here works very well for threads which aren't "tagged" with keywords (like "flea trap").

In this case, the word "flea" was misspelled, so the search engine did not stand a chance.

I tagged the thread "homemade flea trap" and you can find it here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/homemade-flea-trap

Note: David Cain often recommends a plugin flea trap, and if you want to consider that option, there's one in the Amazon store linked from the Useful Stuff page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear NB & Random,

1. I need a crash course training class on how to effiticently use this website better ! Clearly, I suck at this and Nobugs has to step in and help clean up my posts from time to time.

2. Perhaps I need to start wwwdotplatformbedssukdotcom. They are difficult to use blockers on and hotels that have platforms have this problem as well as homeowners. However, we need to keep thinking on a solutions approach and not take "no" for an answer.

In some cases a platform may be "propped up" using suitable spacer type devices to get it up off the floor and make it more difficult for BBs to access.

There are a bunch of things that may be used successfully as such spacers. The only limit is your imagination and ingenuity. : )

Remember that they're "just bugs" and we're supposed to win !

(OK, I gotta go clean the basement & the garage, watch the Giants win and play hockey at 7 PM. Shhh ! Mary Ann is gonna peak when she hears'a about the game at 7 tonight. After all, I'm the third of her children. I'll check back with you guys later. : ) )

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:28:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul, since you have nearly 500 posts in under two
    months, I think everyone would agree you're doing just fine at this website stuff!

The odd typo happens to everyone, and me
    as much as the next guy. I just have the luxury of being able to edit after an hour has passed.

I just wanted to make the post easier to find and to remind everyone of the two ways of searching for things -- and how these sometimes don't work for logical reasons. I hope it didn't sound like I was getting on your case.

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

No, not at all !

The truth is that I must have a hidden phobia for learning how to do stuff properly.

I'm so busy running all the time that I'm afraid to take the time to learn how to organize my posts, store the info and cut & paste it like others seem to do.

I know how to do pest management but this "e-stuff" is a blurr to me and I apologize if it causes you more work to "clean up" or redirect someone after me. However, it is appreicated that you can do this as it helps them and me.

Gotta go, thanks ! : ) paul b.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem, Paul.

It works well if others can answer the bed bug questions and I can try and help people navigate the forums better. There's a lot here and it can be overwhelming for lots of reasons.

16. random-name

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 14:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I'm sorry for my multiple questions (i'm new with bugs, never dealt with it), but do you know some bed bugs trap also for bed that doesnt have legs? I did some research and only read about trap to put under legs. thank you

17. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 15:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

About tagging posts:

Here's the thing about tagging posts to make them easier for other people to find.

The only thing that I consistently see new people do "wrong" when it comes to tagging posts is to put any key term into the same tag line.

If you were doing tags for a post about homemade flea traps, I would use each of the following tags:

flea
    fleas
    flea traps
    flea trap
    homemade
    homemade flea trap

Now, this is probably overkill, but I will explain why.

(Fair warning: we're about to take a detour into what I do at my day job.)

One of the librarians I work with who routinely teaches the library instructional sessions in which college students are supposed to learn how to use the resources in our library, points out that computers are fast but very literal.

Since I'm never sure how sophisticated a particular search paradigm on a site is, I err on the side of caution.

Some searches are set up so that the computer has been programmed to understand that flea is really the same word as fleas. But unless a computer has been programmed to understand that fleas is just the plural version of flea (a fact any speaker of the language gets immediately), the computer might view those two words as totally different. Google is a search engine that excels at understanding the way humans use language, but that's because they employ a lot of people to do so and they have the resources to work very hard at it.

When any of us tag posts, the trick is to figure out the key words that we think *most people* will likely type in when they go looking for a particular subject.

You can see where this is going, right?

Not everyone thinks of the same key words.

If someone else types in baking soda, and no body has put in baking soda as a tag, the post won't come up.

As a result, I try whenever I'm here to tag posts with any key words that I think of that might help people find posts that I think are worth adding.

However, to give an example that I used, I watched a whole class of students look for articles on binge drinking among college students.

They all dutifully typed in the key words you'd expect, but they forgot that some articles would use university instead of college. When I pointed that out and they configured the search right, they got a ton more articles.

My sense is that searching here is much more user friendly than the average database on a college campus, but the fact remains that it's less about doing it wrong as far as tagging and more about everyone getting better at adding more and more generally usable tags AND about people who are searching getting better at trying different variations on keywords to find the posts in question.

At my day job, there are days that I curse Google. It's made my students think they're better at searching than they actually are, and as a result, when I have to teach them the basics that they never learned because Google did it for them, it's that much harder. Google style searching will get you pretty far, but when you're working on an upper division college paper and just any old article won't do, if you never built those baseline search skills, having to start from scratch sucks. I still wouldn't
    give Google up; I use it all the time. But I'm old enough that I learned how to search databases the hard way before I learned the easy way.

Anyway, my point is that I don't totally understand the searching on the site, but even I sometimes have trouble finding the posts that I want. To minimize that, when there's a post a refer back to frequently, I try to give it extra really specific tags to make it much easier to find. But effectively tagging and effectively searching are much trickier skills than many people give them credit for, so nobody should feel bad if they sometimes seem to struggle with either end of the process.

18. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 16:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, got that.

What is and how do I make a "tag" ?

paul b.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 16:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, buggyinsocal.

It seems the search box here works pretty well (it's at the top right of the main forums page).

I try to tag others' posts too.

Paul, there's a box for adding "tags" when you start a thread, or you can add them to an existing thread by typing them in the box at the top right of the page (just below the title on the right).

The crucial thing is to type and add them one by one OR type in several, with commas between them, to be added at once. "Commas between them" is crucial. Omitting them yields pointless tags, like

Bed bug dogs k9s

What you need to do us type

Bed bug sniffing dogs, k9s

And then you get two tags:

Bed bug sniffing dogs
    k9s

The other common mistake I see is people typing out thoughts like

Help me I can't get rid of these things

That's not a tag-- you want to instead
    select some relevant keywords like

Bed bug treatment
    Treatment

Thinking of tags as terms you'd use to do a "Google search" is exactly the right idea. If you pick something really idiosyncratic and unusual, it's going to probably be used only by you.

Tagging is not essential if people use the search function, but enough people seem to use tags to make them worthwhile, and I am not sure of this but Google may be picking them
    up more quickly than the same words hidden in text.

20. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 17:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Ooooo, I'm learning something cool, my brain is all tingly ! (Plankton/Spongebob reference there. See the Friends/FUN episode ! )

Giants about to win 24 - 2 ! ! ! : )

I have seen these topics on Google recently so that's a good thing to, right ?

I added my first tag ever to this thread. It was easy, and tingly too ! : )

paul b.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 17:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,

Yes-- seeing forum threads on Google is good in the sense that it means the thread can be found by search engines looking for certain keywords, either via tags or keywords or some information provided by the website itself.

22. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 17:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

And if you were familiar with spongebob you'd be laughing now !

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.