Baking Soda

(5 posts)
  1. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 17:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'll admit this is a dumb question. I'm doing spring cleaning and using baking soda on the carpeted area (allergies so don't use scented items on carpet). Does baking soda repel bedbugs? When I google it, it looked like some people use it to kill them...

I thought I better come to this site to get the right answer...

Thanks!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  2. MyWorstFear

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 18:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

This might be a dumb answer, but since no one's answered you yet I'll do what I can, so that you don't dump a whole container of baking soda unnecessarily throughout your house.
    The "powder" that people use to kill bed bugs is DE or diatomaceous earth, which acts like tiny sharp razors and kills the bugs if they walk over it, but not instantly. Baking soda will take away odors, but I'm pretty sure it won't have any effect on bed bugs. Hope this helps!

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 18:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

That does, thanks. I thought since it was baking soda, the sodium might negatively impact them...and I've read here that DE will "repel" them if laid down too thickly. Since my spring cleaning involves dumping a lot of baking soda all over carpet...I thought...hmmm...

I don't think I have them, but I'd hate to do something stupid. And, I was wondering if people really use it if they have BBs. There are several videos on it. I always thought it was for fleas.

Thanks again!

4. bedbugsuptown

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 20:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember a time when people spread baking soda on kitchen cabinets and counters but that was for
    cockroaches!

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 21:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BB Uptown: Thanks! I vaguely remember that as a kid at my grandmas (i'm middleaged). Row house.

I'm OCDing....I like to shake it around the carpet and leave it for a while...it just smells fresh to me..but I like to clean with vinegar...

I saw a video online when I googled it and it says it kills BBs...and I was like...isn't that fleas? And then I thought I better ask...I figure it would be all over this site if it killed BBs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.