baby powder

(16 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 22:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard baby powder dries them up like diatomaceous earth.

true?

I have steamed and vacuumed for hours for weeks the baseboards and floorboards. They are dwindling. I want something to finish them. I am also caulking the bedroom baseboards and the large cracks, which is a considerable effort--lots of cracks in the floors. I am very chemically sensitive, so I have stayed away from chemicals. Even the caulk gave me a reaction before it dried. I have heard talc can be hazardous too though. The caulk was cool though. As I applied it, two little bugs came running out and I was like--ha!--found you. I will be moving actually in a couple of months I think in with my partner, but it would be great to get rid of them here first or else I put everything away.

thanks-
    Amy

2. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 23:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beth,

That's interesting what you say you've heard about baby powder. At least it would make your place smell nice at the same time! I am curious to see what others have to say.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 23:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think talc will dry them out the way that DE will, but I don't know for sure.

I do know that talc is sometimes used in passive monitors like the Climb Up interceptors, and I'm pretty sure it's used there because it's hard for the bugs to get a grip on the sides of the interceptors to begin with, but with talc in there, it's next to impossible.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 9:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

No. Talc isn't as hard as DE and likely doesn't scratch the exoskeleton enough.

Jim

5. upagain

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 9:36:11
    #

Login to Send PM

AFAIK DE is like shards of glass to bugs and cuts their exoskeleton up. I am not sure if talc has the same structure.

6. flabergasted

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 9:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I had asked if I should add some DE to the talc in my interceptors to make sure I killed them if they got out. I was told I didn't need to because it hampers the BB's ability to walk and they smother. I read in the faq's that the Rutguer boys use a mixture of talc and DE in there interceptors.

I have sever allergies but was able to find a high quality food grade DE that hasn't casued me any problems. I apply a fine layer with paint brush along the base boards and under furniture. Just make sure you have a particulate mask on. You can pick them up at any construction saftey supply I use the disposable one for asbestos removal a little more expensive but you do not want this stuff in your lungs.

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 12:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

flabergasted--

what brand DE do you use? I tried a cruddy brand that was light brown, opened the package and immediately got ill. I have an N95 respirator.

Bit 4 times last night after vacuuming. ARGH!

thanks-
    Amy

8. bitebedbugsback

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 22:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I was actually going to ask this question a week or two ago. A reputable pest control company told me to vacuum up some baby powder after vacuuming my place to kill any bed bugs I vacuumed. I also noticed that bbs seem to die pretty fast in interceptors. So I was wondering myself if baby powder adversely affected bbs.

9. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 22 2010 23:26:55
    #

Login to Send PM

they told you to vacuum up baby powder??

wow, what the pco's don't share up front before we drown in debt.

10. flabergasted

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 23 2010 9:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beth just what you said about you allergies your bites probably swell up bad to? Know that feeling when your trying to hide your body under long sleves and turtlenecks when its 80 above outside.

I ordered my DE through canada-begbugs.com a company out of Vancouver it 99.5% Premium food grade DE-10. It comes in a kit for I think it was $35 you get two bottles a mask and 1" inch paint brush.

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 23 2010 13:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

ow, what the pco's don't share up front before we drown in debt.

Beth,

I'm sad if you had a bad experience with a PMP because bad PMP give all of them a bad name.

However, I've never heard a PMP say that talc is an effective way to kill bed bugs. Keep in mind that it's entirely possible that a PMP told bitebedbugsback that, but just because one PMP said it doesn't make it true.

Just as in any other profession, there are good and bad PMPs out there, and there are multiple ways for one to be bad. A bad PMP might claim to find an infestation where none exists or treat ineffectively, but a bad one might also use a susbtance like talc that isn't effective at killing bugs or tell a client to use something that won't work.

I certainly don't think there's a PMP conspiracy out there in which there's really a cheap solution to bed bugs that they aren't telling us about.

I'm also not especially confident that talc would do anything to kill the bugs. It might make it harder for them to move and slow them down, but I don't think it kills them. If there were a cheap, over the counter way to kill bed bugs, I'd be the first one to sings its praises from the rooftops. So far, it doesn't exist.

As for the reaction you had to DE, I've never heard of DE having that effect on someone--even someone with chemical sensitivity. (Remember, DE is basically the exoskeletons of a kind of plankton, and its sharp edges mechanically erode bed bugs' exoskeletons.) There are some DE preparations that are DE combined with a pyrethrin, and if you're chemically sensitive, it would make sense that a combo product like that might trigger the chemical sensitivity.

If there isn't a chemical in it and you're having that response, I would be very wary about using any DE as I can't imagine that one food grade DE is very different from another food grade DE, and you may well have that same, if statistically highly uncommon, reaction to another preparation.

12. bitebedbugsback

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 23 2010 14:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Beth,

Actually I was told this as a tip during the inspection, before I even agreed to go with them; so I don't think they're trying to hide anything. Actually, the guy who gave that info only did the inspection to verify that I had them. He's not a PMP and didn't do the actual treatments; so maybe he just gave advice when he shouldn't have.

13. bitebedbugsback

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 23 2010 17:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Just found this. Note they say it 'may' help.

"Vacuuming up a little bit of talcum/baby powder before you start vacuuming and just after you finish may also help reduce the survival rate of some of the bugs that are vacuumed up." (http://bedbugcentral.com/bedbugs101/topic.cfm/i-have-bed-bugs-now-what)

14. Bitten in Brooklyn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 27 2010 3:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I was told the same thing by my PCO (Apt building's PCO) They told me when I vacuum to vacuum up some baby powder also. I have DE now I rather put DE down and wear the baby powder to bed @ night I'm gonna use a Medicated powder when I go to bed! (I.E. Gold bond )

15. fernanda21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 4:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok sented baby powdee a
    Has prove to me to get rid of bed bugs but now I have them on my walls they dont get near the smell of baby powder what I did is that under my bed I cover it up with baby powder and I havent seen or anything a bedbug they dont like the smell of it so if u use alot of smelly stuff like perfume vacum powder and stuff around the house u can get rid of them they fallow me they used to bite me all the time and then I stared to used baby powder when I go to bed I cover the bed in baby powder and it has worked for me lil by lil there leaving on there own hope it helps they dont die and it does not dry them its just that they dont like good smelling stuff and what I have notice is that they follow the smell of dipers like dirty dipers I just put them in the harmer bags there sented I find them at target for 3 dollars and am cure!!!!

16. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 5:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

> Has prove to me to get rid of bed bugs but now I have them on my walls.

Thank you.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.