At last - a BB proof bed tent!

(14 posts)
  1. stillsmiling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 17:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

At last a bed tent - something we've all been hoping someone would invent. I recently found out about "Nitesafe," a BB proof tent just developed by Mattress Safe. Yea! I ordered one (I believe I am their first buyer), put it together, and have slept soundly in it for three nights without bites. The cost is $162 for a single and $198 for a double. http://www.mattresssafe.com/NiteSafe-sup-TM-sup-Sleep-System-p/ns-tent.htm. My advice would be to order one as soon as you know you've got BBs. That way you'll get the sleep you need to stay focused as you plan your treatment options. Jeff Klein at Mattress Safe recommends you disassemble the unit every day or two and run it through a hot dryer (minus the metal pipes that hold it up) for 15 minutes, just to be sure. Make sure you keep scrupulously clean bedding inside, clean your feet before you get in, and keep it zipped up during the day. I have mine on top of a mattress and box springs in encasements with bed legs in climb-ups. It comes in a bag so you can take it on trips - although I will store it in a Ziploc and launder it as soon as I get home. I plan on sleeping in it for 2 years until I'm absolutely sure the bugs haven't had a meal from me and are hopefully dead and will never travel without it. Good luck.

2. Louise

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 18:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

While this could be useful for a night spent in a hotel room or for a night or two of secure sleep at home (by avoiding potential bites), I'm having trouble seeing how it would prevent bed bugs from feeding on someone in the long term. If the bed bugs can't get to us at night while we sleep, won't they just seek us out elsewhere in our homes during the day?

And then the problem spreads from our bedrooms to other parts of the house...exactly what we *don't* want...

This tent could certainly be a tool in the arsenal of weaponry to be used against these bloodsucking vermin, but I hope it isn't being marketed as a stand-alone eradication (as in "starve-them-all-to-death-in-two-short-years) method.

Of course, if you have multiple beds to deal with instead of only one, this tool becomes very costly rather quickly.

3. stillsmiling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 19:21:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Louise. It definitely isn't being marketed as a stand-alone solution. And I agree it isn't inexpensive. It's main value is in providing a safe haven so I can relax and get a good night's sleep (I don't function well without it). Of course one would then have to take the usual steps to eradicate the bugs. Before getting the tent I found myself getting more and more frantic because I kept waking up thinking that something was crawling on me. That led to exhaustion and depression. But with the tent I can at least sleep soundly while waiting for the pest control/canine people to come in and do their jobs. After that I'll still sleep in it until enough time has elapsed without getting bitten. Of course I still have my PackTite to zap anything that comes into the house plus I'll be taking all the other precautions against getting re-infested.

4. Louise

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 19:33:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I was hoping that was the case (both that you were just trying to get a couple of nights' worth of good sleep, that is, and that it wasn't being marketed as a stand-alone eradication method), but I wanted to make sure that anyone new to bed bugs who reads this doesn't get the wrong idea about how to use (and not use) this product.

Believe me, I totally "get" the importance of a good night's sleep in the midst of such a stressful situation. Enough rest often leads to wiser decisions (and vice-versa).

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 22:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

There was already an existing product along these lines called the Travel Tent. People who used it eventually experienced bites, which suggested they were not being cautious enough. (And being cautious enough may actually be very difficult over time.)

Remember that washing your feet is not enough. If you are sitting around the home before going to bed, you may pick something up. Bed bugs may not initially be living in other areas besides the bed, but once you deprive them of food while in bed (if you do this successfully), experts suggest they will move to other areas of your home in order to feed on you when you sit in chairs or on the sofa, etc.

In other words, while it may be helpful for people who are really suffering, keep in mind that using a product like this may lead to bed bugs spreading in the home and this could make the problem harder to eliminate.

By the way, is there really a Jeff Klein at Mattress Safe or are you thinking of Jeff Klein of A3 Superior, the NYC PCO, who participates on the forums?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. stillsmiling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 22:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I spoke to Jeff Klein at Mattress Safe today to give him some feedback on the tent since I believe I may be their first customer. He is interested in receiving user comments in case the design can be modified and improved. We talked about including an inside pocket for a cell phone (to be encased in a Ziploc bag) and he suggested getting one of those lamps for the bedside table that go on and off when you clap so you can zip up the tent and not have to open it again to turn off the lamp (I like to read in bed). As for the bugs moving to the rest of the house, I'll be relying on the bedbug dog to sniff them out and then the pest control people to spray, and I have traps and monitors at the ready. My fingers are crossed that all this will work. As others have said, this is war, and like all wars it's eating up the budget.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 23:20:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Stillsmiling,

Thanks for your response.

Your initial post above was removed from another thread where you also posted it. Please do not repost messages.

8. stillsmiling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 10:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about that. I'm a beginner at posting here and was not aware of the rules. Where are they listed so I don't make any more mistakes?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 11:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

stillsmiling - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry about that. I'm a beginner at posting here and was not aware of the rules. Where are they listed so I don't make any more mistakes?

Hi stillsmiling,

The rules are under Terms and Conditions and (just in case this applies to you) Warning to those in the bed bug product/service industry.

The "rule" about not reposting messages on multiple threads isn't explicitly stated there and this is among a number of things on my to-do list. My apologies for that.

However, FWIW it's a fairly common assumption on forums that reposting messages on multiple threads is a form of spam (especially if that post promotes a product and links to it).

10. stillsmiling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 16:01:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for including the link to Terms and Conditions. I am learning more about doing this sort of thing and can see now why you may think I have some commercial interest in promoting the tent and why you need to guard against that sort of thing. Perhaps I should not have been so effusive in my original post. Please know that in no way do I represent the company. I am merely a satisfied customer who wanted to share information about a helpful product.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 22:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

stillsmiling - 6 hours ago  » 
    Thank you for including the link to Terms and Conditions. I am learning more about doing this sort of thing and can see now why you may think I have some commercial interest in promoting the tent and why you need to guard against that sort of thing. Perhaps I should not have been so effusive in my original post. Please know that in no way do I represent the company. I am merely a satisfied customer who wanted to share information about a helpful product.

Hi stillsmiling,

I did not assume you were associated with the company, though it is not unusual for people to post glowing reviews if they are being compensated in some way by the firms -- and this is of course not welcome here. I also noted that you had never posted before, which is often the case when people come here just to rave about a product.

I am glad that you are a genuine customer, however, I would still urge others to exercise caution with such products due to concerns about bed bugs spreading away from the bed area.

It may seem like no big deal to you to have bed bugs spread further in the home, but keep in mind that they can then bite you when you sit in chairs. As they feed, they keep multiplying. It can make it harder to wipe them out. And it can make it harder (and take longer) for pest management pros to kill them.

It's important that people do not misunderstand and think that this product will eliminate bed bugs biting them at home. From what I gather from experts, preventing bed bugs from biting you in bed will simply spread that activity to other areas of the home and other times of day. This can lead to time consuming battles trying to eliminate bed bugs from various types of furniture, or costly replacements.

12. jeff@mattresssafe

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2011 15:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello BedBugger forums,

This is Jeff Cline from Mattress Safe.

I ran across these forums and just wanted to chime in.
    "Stillsmiling" was indeed one of our customers (choosing to keep the name private) and while we appreciate the endorsement it is genuine and Mattress Safe has not compensated for that endorsement, but it is greatly appreciated. So thank you very much!

The NiteSafe Sleep system by Mattress Safe, Inc. is intended to be an addional layer of protection against bed bugs. NiteSafe provides relief from bed bug bites during an infestation, but should be used in conjunction with an integrated pest management solution including the use of mattress encasements which eliminate the primary hiding spots for bed bugs.

In all cases we recommend that consumers suffering with bed bug infestations educate themselves thoroughly and consult thier local pest management professional. Combating bed bugs should not be taken as a do-it-yourself endeavor.

For more information on bed bugs, and how to combat them visit BedBugGeneral.com or any of the other bed bug resources available.

Also, a thanks to the bedbugger forums for ensuring that consumers are very well educated on these dificult to manage pests.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 16:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jeff and Paul,

Promoting products or services (or commercial websites) in forum posts is against the rules of the forum. Please read the Terms and Conditions and this warning to professionals.

Paul, your post promoting NiteSafe was deleted for this reason. (It's okay to answer questions about the product, but it should not turn into a commercial.)

I'd be happy to see you advertising in the appropriate spots on the site, and you can get in touch with me about that via email or the contact form. Thanks for understanding.

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 16:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, I was just going with the flow. No harm intended.

This said, I didn't view my post as overly commercial as much as it was to further explain why & how it works.

If this was "over the line" so be it.

paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,817 posts in 31,276 topics over 95 months by 13,528 of 14,306 members. Latest: Camoo, nobedbugs, PolkaBox