Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Are these signs the heat treatment might not have been done properly?

(9 posts)
  1. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 21:12:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    we had heat treatment done a week ago. I have not seen a bed bug since. But I had two bumps on my feet. It is in the middle of the summer, very hot and there are insect everywhere. The bumps do not itch, but I cannot hep but freak out. After the heat treatment it ws ery hot in the partment, however: There were a few things about the heat treatment that made me worried whether it worked, so I decided to ask whether these are actually worrying signs?
    1) The books were not removed from the bookcase
    2) removable parts from the ottoman were not removed
    3) the drawers under our bed (a platform bed) were not removed
    4) I could not find any dead bodies.
    5) two days later i already foud other insect in the apartment (quiet a few)

Regarding 4: We might have had a light infestation: I caught a bed-bug on the bed one night when I woke up at four. I was getting bitten with one bite a night, never more . I think we had them for at least two months before I caught that one. We never found any fecal traces, but our bed is black, so we could only have found them on the matress or in the surrounding. A bed-bug dog didn't alert that was brought in about three weeks before I caught the bug.

2. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 21:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

They also didnt double it with chemicals, that doesnt seem to be common here in canada

3. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 20 2013 11:18:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I would call them and ask why they didn't spray and if they can. Are you still within the 30day warranty window? For our follow up ''re-spray'' the PCO guy only treated the upstairs and not the downstairs. I'm guessing his reasoning was b/c the bb's were only found in one rm upstairs. When the supervisor called to check on my satisfaction, I let him know that the guy was nice but not thorough, and that two of my kids were still getting bit. He immediately set me up with another respray with a different guy. A good reputable company will make sure that they rectify their mistakes, or at least try to make the customer happy.

4. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 20 2013 19:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Kater - 22 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    we had heat treatment done a week ago. I have not seen a bed bug since. But I had two bumps on my feet. It is in the middle of the summer, very hot and there are insect everywhere. The bumps do not itch, but I cannot hep but freak out. After the heat treatment it ws ery hot in the partment, however: There were a few things about the heat treatment that made me worried whether it worked, so I decided to ask whether these are actually worrying signs?
    Regarding 4: We might have had a light infestation: I caught a bed-bug on the bed one night when I woke up at four. I was getting bitten with one bite a night, never more . I think we had them for at least two months before I caught that one. We never found any fecal traces, but our bed is black, so we could only have found them on the matress or in the surrounding. A bed-bug dog didn't alert that was brought in about three weeks before I caught the bug.

This just reflects my own experience, and I'm not an expert. My heat treatment worked though, although it did take them two tries due to a weird wall issue in my apartment.

1. Neither were mine, but my bookcase was not in a heavily infested area so this didn't concern me.
    2. Same with mine. They didn't need to be. The fans blew the heat through it I was told.
    3. Are you sure? I also have a captains bed. The company that did my treatment put the bed back together after treatment. I only knew they removed the drawers because all of the stuff in them had been moved around to distribute the heat and they put the drawers back in the wrong order.
    4. They vacuumed the dead bugs up after my treatment. I saw them do this when I returned home. I found a few dead ones though in the back of my bedroom closet a few weeks later though.
    5. As long as they clearly arent bed bugs I wouldn't worry. It's bug season right now so things will get into your home through screens, doors, etc.

The company I used didn't put pesticide down, but I'm in the US. I had to pay a seperate company for that.

5. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 12:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a heat treatment four weeks ago, along with the adjacent apartment (and possible source).

Mine didn't remove my books either, although he did note that his company prefers that the shelves not be packed too tightly, so I pulled down books to "loosen" up the shelves. Your PCP may have thought your books were fine. In addition, I had a light infestation; my understanding from quizzing my PCP is that they usually see them in books in heavier infestations or in books that live right next to the source (and in my case, that was a concern). It's possible your PCP assessed your situation and decided your shelves weren't a risk.

Most of my furniture cushions were "tossed", but I had specific concerns that I had transferred bugs from my bed to my sofa.

The drawers in my nightstand/chest, etc weren't removed, but they were pulled open somewhat.

Me either. Again, it was a mild infestation.

I live in VA and it's summer, and my apartment is in an old building. Within a week, an optimistic spider had moved into the corner, and I've found a few critters that likely crept in from under the door.

Incidentally, my PCP doesn't follow up with chemicals either. They did apply a light application of DE.

6. Blood-bug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 22 2013 15:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Partial treatments have a slim chance of working, it will only disperse the infestation. Whatever method is employed the key to success is to be thorough and methodical throughout the process. Proper kill temperatures have to be achieved and maintained during the process. D.E. along with heat is a great combination.

7. Mike_Heatsolete

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 22 2013 20:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Partial treatments have a slim chance of working

Whatever method is employed the key to success is to be thorough and methodical throughout the process.

That is good information right there.

As a heat treatment provider, I find it quite necessary to remove at least some books from the shelves so that air can circulate through them thoroughly. Using a thermal imager, it has been very clear to me that books present a unique challenge for the treatment because a lot of times they are very dense. Book cases and books them selves are usually the last things to be fully penetrated by the heat and is usually the source of longer treatment times. If your shelf is packed tight with books and at least some were not removed, I would say the treatment may not have been completed correctly. If you miss one spot and do not reach kill zones in every nook and cranny, there is risk of survivors.

I'm not too sure it was necessary to take apart the ottoman, but it wouldn't hurt.

Drawers should be at least opened and even better removed. Sometimes bed bugs can survive where your bed frame rests on the floor, usually with carpet. I usually stand the frames up if possible or at least move them during treatment.

Not finding dead bodies should be of no concern.

Finding other insects 2 days later does not necessary mean the treatment was not performed correctly. They may have made their way in after the treatment.

All in all I think you should place some monitors and don't worry too much unless you get more bites or find live bugs.

Might I ask how many square feet your home is? And how long was your treatment? And did they use a thermal imager?

8. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 22 2013 21:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

They didn't remove my books either. In fact all they did was scatter my clothes and linens on the floor, but since nearly half of the tenants in my building were found to be infested, some very badly (There are lots of elderly and disabled tenants here whose units were found to be completely overrun with bed bugs) and all were heat treated in the same week by Orkin and then that was followed 2 weeks later by a spray treatment I presume they did the treatment correctly, as a canine was brought back to inspect the units 3 weeks later and confirmed all units but 1 were now bug free (The 1 unit that failed has a hoarder living there who removed countless items BEFORE the scheduled heat treatment and took them to a storage she rents then she brought all that crap back after the treatment day, thus she re-infested her place).

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  9. Blood-bug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 15:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The most difficult home to treat for bed bugs is an apartment in a high rise, where there are common areas for people traffic and of high risk of bugs moving from unit to unit.
    The easiest treatment situation is a detached house where neighbours are not a concern and the occupant is in control of people traffic.
    There is no one "Silver Bullet" to treat bed bugs but Integrated Pest Management, IPM should be utilized, this means using a combination or series of measures, even after a successful treatment eradicating the infestation.
    Remember, a tolerable level of a bed bug population is zero.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,264 posts in 46,530 topics over 141 months by 20,521 of 21,382 members. Latest: Worrybug, bugBgone123, Wings83