Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

are these bed bug bites

(9 posts)
  1. guy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 17:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    I stayed at a Vegas hotel 4 weeks ago. The first night I went to bed for a few hours then woke up at 4am to see bugs in my bed. Got security - only saw 3 bugs and they moved my room. When I squashed one of them blood came out - does that indicate been bitten?
    I didn't notice any bites at time and forgot about it. 4 or 5 days later I have a whole itchy rash and "welts" a whole lot on right arm (say 10) and 3 or 4 on my left. I'm not sure if my skin was allergically reacting to the dry vegas water or if they are bites. Is it possible that they can take so long to show up?
    Now 4 weeks later I still have the marks. They don't bother me that much but they are itchy. Do they take that long to disappear?
    Do these sound like bed bugs?

2. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 19:00:48
    #

Login to Send PM

They could be.

Are you getting bitten now? Perhaps you dodge them. Bringing them back home is not pleasant. I would start looking around for signs of infestation. The ideal behavior is for beg bugs to look for a blood meal (my guess anyway). Look for the closest bed from where you may have opened your luggage when you unpacked or drawers where you returned clothes to. At 4 weeks, if you carried adults, you should have been bitten by now. You might have carried nothing, eggs, nymphs, adults, or any permutation or combination.

If your luggage was always zipped up, off the floor, and away from the hotel bed, the chances of a hitchhiker bug is reduced. If your luggage was wide open next to the bed for days, then chances of picking up a hitchhiker bug is increased.

If you didn't pick up anything, I would say you were lucky in Vegas.

3. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 19:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Guy, sorry is that sounds not so hopeful. Most of here have them and think it's the worst, so the words to be vigilant and detect them early. But don't stress. It's hard to go off of bites alone, but you haven't been bitten recently so that's hopeful.

4. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 20:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Guy, I sure hope you didn't bring them home!

In regard to the length of time for the bites to disapear, yes the bites can remain for 4 weeks and more, even if the initial reaction was not too intense. My neice has bites on her back from 4 weeks ago at least, they are still there, and even keep itching from time to time. My own small pin prick bites which really do not itch remain on my arms for more than 4 weeks.

As well, after doing a lot of reading, I believe that the reaction time from person to person varies a great deal. Some react within the hour, but there are cases where the bites do not show up for 5 or more days. That is why it is so difficult at times to know where one has been bitten. Let's say, I first was aware of a bite in the late afternoon. Then it might be difficult to say whether I was bitten in my bed, or on my sofa as I watched TV.

I do hope you have only the bites, and not the bugs.

5. currentinsomniac

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 0:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

By the sounds of it, bed bugs is what you found in Vegas. My husband's welt bites from the end of October are still visible. (And it's the second week of Dec) They aren't so red anymore and have turned a light pink or brownish color, but all of our bites last at least a couple of weeks.

6. guy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 13:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the posts - just one other question - are the bites harmless or would I need to go to doctor?

7. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 13:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as I have read, the bites do not carry disease and unless you have a severe allergic reaction to the bites, you should be okay. Keep a look out for severe swelling and signs of infection as these would probably be your only medical problems from the bites. Yes, my bites lasted for 4+ weeks and itchy like crazy. They even left scars on our legs and arms. Hopefully you only got the bites there and the saying holds true..."What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 16:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Guy,
    It has been a 14 months since our discovery and I still have a rash that pops up after a hot shower, I never really had itched.

9. Lelaine

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 13 2007 20:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's OK with Nobugs, please tell us the hotel's name. If it's not, post a review on Trip Advisor. I live in Nevada, and I hear that bed bugs are a big problem on the Strip.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,727 posts in 29,322 topics over 90 months by 12,644 of 19,897 members. Latest: sarahackler, waitingforbyebugs, TroublesBehind