Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Are the tiny white bugs on my clothes BB Nymphs?

(7 posts)
  1. carla

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 0:17:04
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently went to the laundromat and the clothes we brought back had tiny translucent yellowish whitish bugs that looked like tiny white balls of lint on our clothes. I was itching alot especially on my back. We were having a lot of head itching and thought we had lice, so I was combing my sons hair out with some conditioner on it and it dripped on my legs. A little while later I looked at my legs and the tiny white nymphs were all over my legs clinging to my leg hair. It sounded like mini velcro ripping when I pulled them off of me. A few of the bugs turned red. I was convinced we had bed bugs. I had an exterminator come out, I told him about the tiny white bugs. He looked all around the house and in the mattresses and said we did not have bed bugs and that the tiny white bugs were young fleas. They did not look like fleas at all. They were tiny round white bugs that squish if you pull them off.

I put all of the clothes in the drier on high and it did not kill the nymphs. I washed them in hot water then dried them on high and that seemed to work. However, I still have lots of clothes in bags in the garage that haven't been washed yet. We are still working on them.

What should I do?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 0:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

carla - 22 minutes ago  » 
    I looked at my legs and the tiny white nymphs were all over my legs clinging to my leg hair. It sounded like mini velcro ripping when I pulled them off of me. A few of the bugs turned red. I was convinced we had bed bugs. I had an exterminator come out, I told him about the tiny white bugs.
    I put all of the clothes in the drier on high and it did not kill the nymphs. I washed them in hot water then dried them on high and that seemed to work. However, I still have lots of clothes in bags in the garage that haven't been washed yet. We are still working on them.
    What should I do?

BBs can't really cope well in hair so I doubt they would cling in any way. The dryer had to be hot enough, 140F or better to kill BBs.

Possibly crab lice based on the round white and turns red description. They actually use their claws to grip hair and there are head, and body lice so don't just think the head lice you are used to. Google up some images of crab lice and compare.

Jim

3. carla

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 10:51:13
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs can't really cope well in hair so I doubt they would cling in any way. The dryer had to be hot enough, 140F or better to kill BBs.
    Possibly crab lice based on the round white and turns red description. They actually use their claws to grip hair and there are head, and body lice so don't just think the head lice you are used to. Google up some images of crab lice and compare.
    Jim

I googled pictures of every nymph they have...I had crab lice when I was a teen and it definitely wasn't that. The nymphs did not look like body lice either. The bodies were not elongated. The nymphs looked exactly like the bedbug nymphs. Do BB nymphs cling to clothing?

Has anyone ever heard of someone bringing home BB nymphs on their clothing?

We went to the laundromat and about a week later a lot of the clothes were covered in these tiny whitish/yellowish translucent round bugs. They looked like tiny balls of lint, and they didn't move much. Except they must move a little because there was one on my cheek. They were also clinging on the seats in our car.

I got bit by something in my bed this morning, could have been a flea, but I am afraid that these nymphs have moved in and will grow into a full blown infestation if I don't do something now.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 20:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Carla:
    Continue to pursue a correct identification. Capture as many specimens as you can and take them somewhere else to be checked. Some cities have a Public Health Dept that will do this, or you might find an Entomologist or another PCO. If you can get a picture and post it on Flicker and link it here, people might identify it.

Also, there is another website - http://pestcontrolcanada.com/ where you can post a photo and visitors to the website will post if they can identify it.

Good luck.

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 20:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably the best way to capture some to get the ID'd is to keep some clear tape handy--when you go to the laundromat, in your pocket when you go out to the garage to deal with the still bagged items--anywhere you think you're likely to encounter the bugs.

If you can catch some of them on the clear tape, you can then stick the tape to white paper or card stock and stick that in a ziplock until you can get a PCO or an entomologist to identify the exact bug. Hope that helps.

6. carla

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 1:10:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all, I have been looking for the bugs when doing laundry and can't find any! Do the nymphs crawl out of plastic bags and out into the environment?

We are no longer going to the laundromat, we bought a washer. Thank god!

The PCO from Orkin said he thought we just had fleas, which we do....however the nymphs on our clothes and on the car seats did not look like baby fleas at all. Nor did they look like body lice. It is so hard to identify them because all the pictures on the net are magnified and I never saw one of the bugs magnified.

One thing is, they did not move when I saw them on my legs, on my cheek, on the clothes and on the car seats. They just sat there clinging. It sounded like micro velcro ripping when I pulled them off. The really clung tight to my leg hairs, cheek hair and the fabric fibers. On my clothes they looked like tiny white lint all over. When I pulled them off, they squish easily.

Does any of this contradict bed bugs?

Thanks, Carla

7. lastthreadted

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 8 2011 8:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

sounds a lot like my problem? did you get rid of it? how so ?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,384 posts in 29,444 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,969 members. Latest: hinfungyik, abq671, skittles1234