Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Are the grains in my bed and on my skin (ACCKKK) bed bug eggs?

(11 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 20:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

THanks for the info on the above. When I run my hand on my sheets I feel some small grains. Are these the eggs? I am so grossed out. Is it just dead skin? Thanks.

2. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 21:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ewww. I'd suggest looking at the sheets with a magnifying glass or something similar. I saw a few egg shells in my apartment but none in my bed. They were just in the same area as the fecal spotting... however, that doesn't mean they wouldn't lay some on my bedding if given the chance. Maybe take a photo and post it here for others to look at?

3. LindseyNicole

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 21:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

accidental double post. oops.

4. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 20:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Just guessing, but I would say those grains are probably not eggs. Eggs are probably laid in a safer place, a harborage. For example, in baseboards, spaces in the wood in wood furniture, etc.

Grains in the bed can come from anywhere--they can be totally inorganic, usually little bits of sand or stuff like that. They can come off you hair for example. Or off the bottom of your feet.

But, to be sure, you can get a child's microscope, or even cheaper a child's magnifier, and look at these grains closer. I have both, the magnifier magnifies about x 40, and shows fluff and grains of sand quite clearly. I have found many many things on my skin, and in the bed or sofa that I thought were certainly bugs, but were not. It is nice to know that that crawly feeling in your sock is just a bit of sand, or grain of something.

I have caught some dark bugs in my traps, which turned out to be carpet beetle larvae or some strange flies with wings.

5. Bugologist

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 23:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Grains on your bed needs to be a bit more descriptive. Grains randomly on the top surface of your bed? Grains along the piping on the side of the mattress? Is there any spotting?

You won't find muliple eggs without spotting (usually).

Based on what you've said so far, probably not BB eggs.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2008 1:50:52
    #

Login to Send PM

There are egg photos on the blog (look at "Photos of Bed bugs and signs of bed bugs". Or search for "bed bug eggs" in the blog search box.

Some people have described grains of something like sand. I do not know what this is, but probably not bed bug eggs which are quite distinctive looking (use a magnifier).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Itchybutdealing

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2008 12:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. The grains are on the surface of my sheets. My husband says that he is pretty sure that it is dead skin or sand, I just was really grossed out at the thought. I have never examined my skin or bed so closely in my life. Still haven't seen anything and neither has our PCO, PAC Exterminating in NYC. We just get bites. I am starting to feel a bit Howard Hughesish!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2008 13:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are getting bites and see no evidence its always worth double checking and trying the two following things:

1 Use a quality mattress protector to rule out a dust mite allergy (quick tip try saran wrap or pallet wrap as a short term substitute but not for more than a week or so)

2 Try a plug in flea trap, for a small investment its been the solution of many of the unidentifiable cases I have seen.

Keep an accurate bite diary and look for patterns and links between activity. I am not ruling out bed bugs but its often sensible to consider other options as well.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 2:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy, in my experience, people find all kinds of "new stuff" in their beds and homes after they start looking for bed bugs. Specks, miscellaneous material, and more bugs than you ever imagined, of every variety. In most cases, it's harmless stuff.

David's suggestion of a flea trap is a good one, to rule them out, and also, another PCO Sean suggests using glue traps with those disposable handwarmers placed in the center (giving off CO2 and heat) to attract and trap bed bugs. You would have to leave the latter in your bedroom in the evenings, preferably when you're not home, and it might take many tries to snag a sample, but it has worked for Sean. You'd need a new handwarmer each time (they can last 6-10 hours). Obviously, if you are in the room, it's less likely they will go for the "dummy".

10. Itchybutdealing

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 15:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. We do have them because the K9 says we do, but I think that I am getting OCD over every little speck. Just trying to keep it in perspective (imagine living in the Middle Ages). We are on treatment #3.

11. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 11:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchybutdealing,
    I think that bed bug lay eggs in seclusion most of the time but some reports indicate that people have found eggs in their hair.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I think nobugsonme was one of them. I believe that the possibility exists that eggs may be found just about anywhere. Magnification and a bright light is needed. If you get a photographer's 10 power Loupe this would help you to see eggs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.