Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Are landlords responsible for inspections?

(3 posts)
  1. bedbug_OCD

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 16:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what's buying me and my son but from talking to pros on here it's seems most likely not bed bugs. So I want to figure out what it is, we had a rat problem a couple months ago and had to pretty much handle everything cause our landlord took so long to even put up a trap. I'm curious if maybe what I'm experiencing could be rat mites or done kind of mite. I already paid for a k9 inspection and now want an inspection that can figure this out. I live in California Santa Clara county and don't know if my landlord is responsible for the inspection cost. I tried googling it and can't find much. Any Websites that can let me know ?

Mites are tiny, are there mite inspections? Lol Please help.

2. Blackheart

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 17:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugOCD, not sure where you are located, but here in Ontario the Landlord IS responsible for any bb issues and any other kind of pest.

I would google Landlord/Tenant rights and (name of your state or Province) and you should come up with some info on what the rules are where you live.

Hang in there and let us know what happens.

Sam

P.S. : Sorry missed that did you google Landlord tenant Rights Califorma?

3. Bed Bug Armageddon

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 3:18:05
    #

Login to Send PM

In California the law is pretty clear on this. The landlord is responsible...

The landlord is responsible for ensuring clean and sanitary buildings free from debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents, and vermin. (Civil Code section 1941.1).

So unless there is a clause in your lease agreement that specifically adresses pest control and frees your landlord of responsibility, it is their responsibility.

The landlord should at least offer to share the cost of treatment. If they refuse, take photos, keep samples you've collected and report them to the local housing authority or health department. A local non-profit or legal aid office might be able to help in filing any legal documents.

Hope you're able to get rid of whatever is biting you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,684 posts in 29,311 topics over 90 months by 12,641 of 19,891 members. Latest: katherine8325, Evilbugs, thatznotokay