Are Bites Recurring? Or have I brought them home? :(

(11 posts)
  1. misterx

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 18:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've just noticed two little bites on my thumb and I did have them in the same spot when I had my initial encounter.
    Does anyone know if the bites are capable of recurring or has the worst case scenario happened.

2. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 19:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Mister X,

Is it the exact same spot on your thumb? Some people here do say that bites can fade and then re-flare up. This has not been my own personal experience, however. ie: My old bites fade, and all I see are new bites. But I have an active infestation.

If I remember your story correctly, you were heavily exposed during your hotel stay. I would say it's possible you did bring some home. I did the same after staying in NYC, despite knowing I had been exposed, and taking significant decontamination measures upon return home.

Stay watchful for more signs, and keep posting here. BTW, until you know for sure one way or the other, I would recommend you implement protocols to avoid possible spreading to others, or your workplace, car, etc. This mostly means keeping your clothes clean and isolated in plastic bags, and changing into fresh garments right before leaving. Be sure to keep coat, bags, briefcases, etc, isolated as well.

MF

3. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 21:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

my bites fade and flare up, fade and flare up, repeatedly over a period of months. at first they would look like new bites when they flared back up, but now many months later they sort of just look like normal flesh colored pimple type things that itch - but always in the same spots as the bites of old. it IS possible they are old ones flaring up, but if you are able to have a bedbug dog in to inspect your home for peace of mind it might be worth the cash to do so. pm me if you'd like, i used a dog out of toronto and feel pretty good about the experience.

4. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 21:03:25
    #

Login to Send PM

i should clarify that by saying that according to the dogs, i no longer have an infestation. presumably the bites that i have that are flaring up over and over are NOT new bites, but rather lingering allergic reactions to old ones. sorry if i was a bit murky on that point...

5. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 3:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

misterx - I don't know what your original story was and did not look it up, so I can't form an opinion on the odds of you having transported the bugs home with you. However, if you didn't (hello, sniffer dogs!), I can second Lilbit's experience with the bites. Mine still flare up and itch in the old spots, 4+ months later. Not only do hot showers and exercise seem to trigger this, but I'm beginning to think plain old nutty, PTSD anxiety does too. Aaackk, the thought of bugs! - look, bites!

Seems reasonable to me, don't know what's wrong with the rest of you ;o)

6. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 3:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh now I remember. Gruesome story, but unfortunately we've heard it all before. Yes, there would be some chance you brought them back with you. If you can get a dog inspection, that might be good.

7. misterx

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 13:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Now I am sure of it. They are recurring.
    On my right wrist there are a series of former bites that flare up for a day or two if I'm having a 'stressful' time.
    You can feel the elevated skin and the itchiness returns.
    I was extremely paranoid about having brought them home with me but now after having had this recurring experience 3 separate time I know it's the same bites flaring up again.

Here is a link I posted with graphic overlays and some original photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863160@N06/sets/72157604641242970/

You can see the extent of the inflammation on the right wrist and the positioning of the returning flare-ups is the exact same.

8. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 14:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine are itching now as I read your post. Unless obvious signs of infestations, I would try not to obsess over it, there are days when the bites don't bother me, and other days where I can not seem to stop itching.

9. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 18:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

it has been four and a half months for me since i moved to a new place, and i still experience "flare ups" occasionally in spots where i was bit.

10. aballen

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 20:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband has three bites right down his neck in January the night we returned from a lenghty vacation. I had about 15-30. Just tonight, I noticed the worst of his three bites was visible again. If he is working around the house and gets warm, I can see it clearly. I only notice simi-old bits, month or less, flare up when I take a hot shower. However, I do have two spots on each shoulder where I was bitten in January and March that sill itch like heck every single day! No marks though in those itchy area.

11. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 20:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Mister X,

I am glad to hear you feel more certain you are having old bites flare-up, as opposed to new bites.

Two things:

1. Wow, your flickr photos are extreme!! You were bitten quite a lot in a short period. The left hip photo is particularly fascinating.... pretty much a perfectly-straight line.

2. Just for your own sanity, did you ever have a canine inspect your home? Just curious.

MF

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.