Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

are bites in the picture from bed bugs?

(8 posts)
  1. betyou2007

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 19:48:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I suspect I have bed bug problem for over a month. I got new bites on my body every a few days. Sometimes it is just one or two tiny red dots, sometimes it is lined pattern (as shown in the picture) of red dots, only once I got a group of red bumps on my belly (that's when I started to consider this a bed bug problem).

The problem is that the PCO (BugMaster in my local) of the apartment refused to acknowledge the existence of bed bugs. They said there are carpet beetles in my room but not bed bugs. I caught some bugs which look like beetles larva as well as bed bugs.

I did quite some inspection/laundry over the past month and the biting is not as often as one month ago. It is still very annoying to find I get another line last night before I went to bed (around 2am). Can someone look at the picture in the link and verify if it is indeed from bed bugs?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16993848@N06/

I will take another picture of dead bug body near my pesticide powder and upload later.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 21:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi betyou,

First, NO ONE can tell by looking if what you have is bed bugs. There are no tests that can determine that a bed bug did this, though in some cases a dermatologist can test to see whether an arthropod did it.

If you look at this page:
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

... the photos and links to photos show various bed bug bite possibilities, but by no means all.

I will tell you this: I have had marks that looked like this. The first few times, I thought they were scratches--they look kind of like something scratched across your skin. (And could be, I guess.) In all cases, I had no idea what actually happened, but no memory of being scratched, and I think if I were, while asleep, I would have noticed.) Then once I got one that was like this (appeared to be like scabs from a scratch) but it was in a weird pattern: like a filled in circle, with lots of the little dot scabs. It was so weird and so unprecedented, that it kind of freaked me out.

I had many more marks that I did attribute to bed bugs that did not look like this, but I never figured out what caused these, and I am really interested to see this photo.

Maybe they were caused by bed bugs and for some reason did not appear as the others.
    Maybe they were caused by something else--another insect?
    Or maybe scratching a severe bed bug-induced itch at night caused this?

So let me ask you a few questions:

Did you _usually_ have other bites that looked more like mosquito bites or pimples or any of the marks on the link above? Can you compare them to any of those on that page?

Also, you said, "I caught some bugs which look like beetles larva as well as bed bugs."
    Since you caught bed bugs, did you show them to the PCO? If not, why not? (If you still have samples, there are scientists who will ID them.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 14:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

betyou (& NBOM),
    Your fascinates me. I have bites like all of the ones on the bedbugger photo page AND some very similar to yours. I, too, have been suspecting bedbugs for about a month and have not found the bedbug signs (my ability to do a thorough inspection is hampered by serious clutter, which I'm addressing). I do have carpet beetles...

4. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 14:16:19
    #

Login to Send PM

* meant to say 'Your photo fascinates me'

5. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 15:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you say you caught Bedbugs? Then it's all you need as proof. Otherwise, you will have to eventually find one as evidence. Or at least telltale blood stains on sheets.

Since it may be illegal to spray unless evidence is found, you must give positive proof. Bite marks are non conclusive. It is possible to spray for other insects.

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 15:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

betyou2007,
    Your bite does look like it could be a scratch but who knows for sure.
    I once was in a desert and found a weird catapilliar climbing up my leg. It turned out that this type of bug can and did leave a mark which looks like yours, it also itched. Just thought that I would mention it.
    To me the bug picture looks like some sort of roach. Google roach pictures and see if you see something similiar.

7. kraystone

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 17:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't look like bed bug bites to me, the last one look like a scratch. But never know for sure unless you caught one.

I have allergic reaction to them and will notice new bites within an hour.
    After being bitten for over a month, my skin reaction to new bites became more severe and develop into blisters, swollen and very itchy:
    http://www.wretch.cc/album/show.php?i=evaworks&b=7&f=1091815962&p=16
    http://www.wretch.cc/album/show.php?i=evaworks&b=7&f=1091815965&p=19

I had to see a dermatologist who gave me pantel cream and antibiotics prescription.

8. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2007 22:17:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Betyou. The pics of the bugs that you have I don't think are carpet beetles. I think the are baby silverfish are firebrats. They are common to live in the walls, like attics and basements. Carpet beetles look like a small beetle that has different colores on it..like dots or calico kind of. To help you identify the bugs you do find try http://www.whatsthatbug.com as well.
    My mom had or has bebugs...she described a bite from what she said "looked like 6-7 small red marks in a straight line like a sewing machine went thru her arm" That's what one of your photos look like to me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,265 posts in 29,422 topics over 90 months by 12,691 of 19,952 members. Latest: IvyGreene, Shawna weaver, SFgirl2345