Apartment building still refuses to check surrounding units

(5 posts)
  1. bbmd

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 9:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had bedbugs (found in bed frame) and now am post two steam/pesticide treatments. My guess is one came into my apartment somehow (hitch-hiked)

My building continues to refuse to inspect surrounding units as they feel bedbug issues are rare in the building and if there was an issue the tenants would let them know. They have come to my unit and somewhat sealed cracks/crevices.

I have emailed multiple times, my PCO recommended inspection and I had sent them the NPMA guidelines also and they said inspection of surrounding units is unwarranted.

So knowing they have not inspected:

How can I prevent them from coming back if they did come from a neighboring unit

What are the odds they came from a neighbor

How can I monitor and tell if they come back from a neighboring unit

Basically WHAT SHOULD I DO? I am so paranoid they could go hide in a neighboring unit during my steam/pesticide treatment and then come back at a later time.......

2. Bugsadness

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 17:19:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! My apartment manager is a real douchecanoe and has also refused to check other units. Obviously, there's only so much you can control, so for my peace of mind, here's what I did:

Alerted neighbors with whom I share a wall. Something reassuring, like, "Hello! We have a small bed bug problem and are taking all necessary precautions not to spread the problem to other areas of the building. A pest management professional came on [instert date here]. Please keep an eye out for signs of bed bugs, and let me know if you'd like help or more information."

About a month after the chemical treatment, I dusted with Cimexa, especially in boundary areas where I thought it might be likely that bed bugs could come in from other apartments.

Finally, and, I think, most important to give you a sense of control: passive monitors in the rooms where you had them/where they'd be most likely to recur. This way, should they come back in, you get them at the beginning and prevent an infestation.

We found the critters in June and have been BB free on the passives since mid July. The certainly can migrate from apartment to apartment. It doesn't mean that they will. Best of luck to you (and to me, and god bless us every one, esp. on these sad forums).

xo

3. bbmd

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 9:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to my neighbors today and try to take precautions

Which passive monitors did you use?

Best of luck!

4. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 16:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

bbmd - 7 hours ago  » 
    Which passive monitors did you use?

Mr. Cain's passive monitor is the original, and in the US it is sold under the brand name Packtite. Any other brand you find is 'knockoff' or 'replica' of his work, and lacks the fine details of his product. I would highly recommend sticking with his.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
  5. Bugsadness

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 21:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, we use David Cain's/Packtite. They're $20 each and we have one on the bed and one on the couch. Good luck to you. You're doing a great job. I like to tell myself that I can only control what I can control.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,050 posts in 42,686 topics over 129 months by 18,734 of 19,281 members. Latest: Vincent601, bedbug, Why2Us