Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Anything you can put on your skin to repel them?

(6 posts)
  1. devil_youknow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 2 2010 9:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I have bed bugs and with pesticide treatment (after thermal treatment didn't work) they are slowly going away, haven't seen any in weeks.

Just curious though, is there anything you can put on your skin when you sleep to repel the buggers (just in case). I don't want to feed them, I want them to die. Thanks

2. need 2 sleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 0:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard that they do not like scents and perfume. They don't like lavender or cinnamon. I put perfume on my pulse points, neck, temples, ankles and sometimes my feet when it's too hot for socks. I put lavender oil on my 2 small dogs that sleep with me because I think they might be getting bit.

I hope this helps. Maybe its just coincidence but when I remember to do this, I don't get bit. Give it a try.

3. ladywithkids

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 4:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

need 2 sleep - 3 hours ago  » 
    I heard that they do not like scents and perfume. They don't like lavender or cinnamon. I put perfume on my pulse points, neck, temples, ankles and sometimes my feet when it's too hot for socks. I put lavender oil on my 2 small dogs that sleep with me because I think they might be getting bit.
    I hope this helps. Maybe its just coincidence but when I remember to do this, I don't get bit. Give it a try.

I actually love the smell of lavender. I'm going to give it a try and put it on my kids. The thought of them or I being bitten torments the hell out of me.

4. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 6:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Every repellent works against BBs until they're hungry enough to ignore it...

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 12:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

As EffeCi pointed out, in general repellents are a bad idea when it comes to bed bugs.

For starters, they aren't very effective. (I explain it to people this way. Imagine that you haven't eaten in three days and you're really hungry. You have to walk across something that smells like garbage to get to the steak you can smell beyond the garbage smell. Is the garbage smell going to keep you from going after the steak? Yeah. Like that.)

Secondly, many repellents aren't good to have on your skin for that long. While it's not true of essential oils, it is true of products with DEET which are likely to be slightly more effective for short periods of time.

Thirdly, remember that you really don't want to repel bed bugs as doing so can cause the infestation to scatter into more rooms or hide themselves deeper away, making the infestation harder to treat which means more time before it's eradicated.

If you are having trouble sleeping during treatment, isolating the bed is a much better option to prevent being bitten by bed bug than using repellents.

6. sickofbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 20:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Never put essential oils directly on your skin or an animal's skin. You can become deathly allergic, sometimes in a very short time, and if that happens, then you can't have any product/food that contains that oil ever again.

Mix a few drops with about 2 - 3 tbsp of oil (olive oil, etc.)

And I do agree that it is dangerous to try and repel them much as you want to.

sickofbugs

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,682 posts in 31,249 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear