Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Anyone know - can bed bugs have red heads?! Identification please!

(3 posts)
  1. sagrawoo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2011 11:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I stupidly smashed a bug I saw in my bed instead of capturing or taking a picture first. It was flat, the size of a bed bug, IN MY BED, but it had a dark/black body and it's head was distinctly a different color - red. Upon smashing it it exploded blood, so my sheet now has a large smear. We had bed bugs over three years ago and took care of them with constant laundering and an exterminator. It was not a large infestation, we could never find any when we looked for them, just had the bites. I am hoping we don't have another bed bug problem on our hands now. I don't want to worry my husband if it's nothing.

Facts:
    We live in the NYC area, which is known for problems
    We returned from a trip to Paris and various places in Italy one month ago

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2011 11:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you save the bug? Take a picture and post, send me the bug for identification, if you like.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  3. sagrawoo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2011 11:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't, I stupidly smashed it before taking a picture. !

From what I have looked up, some people say they don't ever have red heads. I looked at tons of pictures of bed bugs and did not come across any that had dark bodies with red heads (they are all brown or clear).

But I am assuming the blood inside was not only it's blood. So WHATEVER it was bit one of us. Is there any other type of bug that bites/takes in blood that could be found indoors and resembles a bed bug in flat shape?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,795 posts in 31,272 topics over 95 months by 13,528 of 14,303 members. Latest: scaredofbedbugs520, HALP2k14, Camoo