Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Anyone have experience with "Bugstop" brand mattress encasements?

(5 posts)
  1. Callisto

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 19:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I asked this question in another thread and I'm making a separate thread for it. I need to re-encase my mattress (13") and box spring (5.5"), and while I am impressed by the durability of the Allerzip encasements, in total it's going to cost me between $300-400 CAD to encase both (I can't use the standard box spring encasements because they're all 9", so I'll have to use a 6" mattress encasement). However, the Canadian online retailer "The Allergy Guy" sells "Bugstop" brand mattress encasements, which will save me about $100-200 including shipping. I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with these encasements in regard to their quality?

Here's a link:
    theallergyguy.com/twin-bugstop-mattress-cover-39x75.html]http://www.theallergyguy.com/twin-bugstop-mattress-cover-39x75.html[/url]

Thanks!

2. Callisto

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 22:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Whelp, since I've gone and purchased both an 11" deep terry Allerzip encasement and a 6" bugstop encasement .www.theallergyguy.com/bug-mattress-covers/

I can now compare the two.

Similarities:
    Both encasements are made of 100% polyester stretch knit with a (poly)urethane coating on the inside
    Both have the "3-sided" zipper design and have a zipper with tiny teeth

Differences:
    The bugstop encasement is thicker than the allerzip, but less stretchy. The allerzip stretches in all directions, while the bugstop only stretches in one (the sides stretch the length of the mattress, while the ends stretch in the direction of the depth). Can the bugstop stretch the claimed 2 inches without much trouble? Probably.
    The endstop design:
    Here's the allerzip, which has been proven to not let any stage of bedbug pass through:
    http://imgur.com/qsdwz.jpg

And here's the bugstop:
    http://imgur.com/ey9J0.jpg
    Note that in this case it is a 6" encasement on a 5.5" box spring, whereas the allerzip is 11" and on a 13" mattress. I don't know whether bb's will be able to escape from this endstop or not, because this design hasn't been tested in the fashion that the allerzip has in the FAQ. This is what The Allergy Guy claims.

(I know this post is link-heavy, so I know it's likely to get munched by the spam filter, so no worries Nobugs, I know not to repost ^_^)

3. aaghbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:01:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I liked the mattress safe mattress cover I got a while ago for cheaper, but now that the box spring cover has torn, I noticed that the price has doubled! Seriously, I guess they are cashing in on the demand. Sigh, I guess that is capitalism.

4. bbgirl

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 11:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also very interested in whether Bugstop encasements have been tested - on my own bed I used the more expensive Allerzip but in the guest room which is not being used I put the cheaper Bugstop which I saw at a pest control shop. Since the second bed is not being used I wasn't as worried about wear and tear but the quality doesn't seem to be as high. Would hate to go through all of this prep and treatment only to have a "weak link" in the chain

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 15:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

You can write to the manufacturer and ask for the data on independent entomologist's testing of the product. If you get a link for such data, please share it.

Update: you can download Bugstop test results here (PDF). As Callisto notes, the testing does not appear to be the same escape test as that which was done on the Allerzip encasements.

The Bugstop encasement test (conducted by Snell Scientifics) describes testing the fabric to see if bed bugs can feed through it, and testing the zipper and seams by having bed bugs try and feed through them, and by trying to "shake" bed bug "debris" (eggs, first instars) "through" the zipper/seams.

Mattress Safe (PDF of test results) were tested by the same firm (Snell Scientifics) with what seem to me to be the same tests (feeding through fabric, feeding through zipper/seams, "shake" through zipper/seams).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,640 posts in 42,612 topics over 128 months by 18,700 of 19,228 members. Latest: Tinybug0912, Greg_ooo, hpgirl2008