Anyone has site info about mold, info, images, causes?(6 posts)
Interested because of the questions that come up about steamers.
If one does not use the $500 steamer that is dry steam but uses say the $40.00 Shark can the SHARK be used properly without causing mold? If your home is on the dry side, humidity at 30 to 45% can a "wetter heat" steamer be OK?
Mold is always a moisture problem.
There is no problem with using the "Shark" steamer as long as any excess moisture is dried out within 48 hours or so.
The professional models utilize a pressure tank to create a hotter steam with a lower water content. You can easily create mold growth with the more expensive models, if the treated materials stay wet for too long (48-72 hours for many organic materials).
The example from another thread was using steam treatment in a car interior. If the car is closed up before it is dried out properly, then you may create mold growth on organic materials.
You can speed up the drying process by utilizing fans, dehumidifiers or air conditioning to remove any excess moisture. Under low humidity conditions, it can be as easy as opening windows. No excess moisture = no mold growth.
Steam is a thermal treatment. We want the heat carried by the steam to kill any bed bugs that are present. The inexpensive steam machine will kill bed bugs, if it is able to heat the specimens up to a lethal temperature.
Thanks again for your help.
When you stated that "The professional models utilize a pressure tank to create a hotter steam with a lower water content. You can easily create mold growth with the more expensive models, if the treated materials stay wet for too long (48-72 hours for many organic materials)."
If I am understanding correctly mold growth can happen with the expensive models of steamers. How would one detect mold growth? Can you see it, smell it, touch it? I have seen black mold growth in people's apartments.
Also, if mold starts to grow can taking moisture out of the environment kill mold once mold gets started to grow?
Yes, mold growth is determined by the amount of moisture, not the source.
It should be visible as long as the mold growth is in an accessible place.
Mold has a unique odor that you can smell. Some species have a strong odor and the substrate that it is growing on can also affect the odor.
Fungal growth will usually smear when you touch it. A water stain will not normally smear.
Here is a link to a EPA document called Mold, Moisture & Your Home.
For example, in a carpeted area there are wooden tack strips under the edges of the carpet. The wood part of the tack strip is an attractive food source for many species of mold.
Some carpets have a jute backing which will support mold growth, while many newer carpets have a synthetic backing that will not support fungal growth. Still even a synthetic carpet can have deposits of organic material that will support fungal growth.
If the moisture dries out the fungal organisms will die, but keep in mind that even dead mold can trigger a reaction in a sensitized individual.
Thanks again DougSummersMS,
I guess in battling bbs we have to take some chances. I believe most people after the PCO has visited for the last time will have to take some measures and fight on their own because a PCO will not come back again due to lack of bug evidence, also I believe it is good for a person's mental health to feel as if they are not helpless and they are contributing in efforts to get rid of these pests.
If you are legally able to tell us what is your opinion on a bb sufferer getting involved and to what extent?
You must log in to post.