Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Any chance a "spray fumigant" called Bifo or Bifro could be legit?

(17 posts)
  1. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 0:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to help my mom long distance with an infestation after dealing with my own 2 yrs ago. The PCO she contacted claims to be able to "fumigate" a closet or bag by spraying "Bifo" or "Bifro" into it. I asked her if he could be talking about spraying pesticide. She said that, no, he had talked about that, too, for the bed.

I could have missed something in the 2 yrs since I've been gone, but there's no way someone is "fumigating" without a whole house or Fume Cube situation, right?

Thanks so much for any help!

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 8:20:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Might be "Boflo" (Propoxur), discussed here. http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/boflo-powder-propoxur#post-62253

Not sure it's appropriate for fumigation and make sure to review the FAQ on warnings re foggers.

What country are you in?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm actually in the US, it's just that I'm on the East Coast and my mom's in Phx. Thanks for the info about the possible match with the Boflo. I wonder if AZ has it approved already. I guess I'll be spending time on the phone with the PCO.

4. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish that could be true, but where are the studies to back up what you say? I've never heard of one of these "completely organic" sprays that has a residual effect. From what I've heard you have to spray the bug directly, and if I could spray them all directly I would just use 90% rubbing alcohol.

5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

TheCleanBug....I suggest your read the Terms and Conditions of the website.

6. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paula,
    You were such a help when I had my infestation, talking me through the Vikane process. It worked great! I can't believe my poor mom has to deal with them now.

I hope you and your family are doing well!

7. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BarelyLiving2. I don't post much here, but will definitely report a troll when I see one. Most viewers don't know my history and with all that has changed in the last few years, it's irrelevant anyway.

Glad to hear all is going well with you. Sorry to hear about your mom. On a good note, you're one step ahead of the game in that you now have the knowledge to help her. There's more out there to assist in the fight now and her battle hopefully take half the time and be alot less stressful. Sending good vibes for your mom and sending the best to you!

8. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:43:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paula

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

To answer your question, I don't think her PCO is talking about a "fumigant" but maybe a bug bomb?
    Maybe you could get some informed questions together to ask her PCO and maybe help her with a different one and/or some other options for her if need be. It's wonderful that she has you to help guide her through this even if it is long distance. Best wishes to you

10. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

TheCleanBug.....please read the terms and conditions of the site. If you have proven scientific back up evidence of what this product does (besides being a contact killer) please inform the websites Host "nobugsonme" about it.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 11:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

TheCleanBug - 57 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not trying to sell here...We have a great product…that is all.

ROTFLMAO!

12. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 11:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes people use the term fumigation incorrectly to describe the use of conventional chemicals that are sprayed.

Here is an EPA list of pesticides that are approved for bed bug control
    http://cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/bedbug/search_results.cfm?ProductName=&ingSearch=null&company=null&Registration=&Submit=Search

If you don't find the name on this list... it may not be approved for bed bugs.

Propoxur is not labeled for bed bugs, but is known to be effective... there are some safety concerns... it should not be misapplied, but it is currently labeled for cockroach control

You could look at products that are approved for roaches and other pests or run a search on the EPA database. I didn't get any results for bifo or bifro on the EPA search engine.

Hope that helps

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 12:01:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Could "bifo" be short for bifenthrin?

14. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 12:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Turns out that you're right, Cilecto. Bifen, so it's a synthetic pyrethroid--which means the bugs will know where it is and not too long residual, but 3rd generation-- which may mean is good as far as syn. pyrethr.'s go. And the "fumigation" is a microencapsulated fog called Jet Stream, contact killer, which I'm looking up as we speak. Don't think it will work for my mom, too many boxes and nooks and crannies.

I should have talked to the guy first, I just wanted to be informed when I talked to him. Thanks for everyone helping. You guys are awesome!

15. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 12:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Barely Living 2

Glad Cilecto made that suggestion... that was going to be my next guess after looking at the EPA list of registered products.

I highly recommend Vikane gas fumigation, if you are concerned about the efficacy of the chemical treatment that her PCO is utilizing currently.

Or you could simply let her PCO take their best shot at chemical eradication and think of gas fumigation or thermal as a back up plan... if the current approach is not successful

Where is your mom located?... The cost of fumigation varies from state to state.

16. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 15:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things, so I suspect if this were a good option for you you'd already know about it, but just in case. . .

Phoenix is likely to have the same kinds of drywood termite problems as LA. As a result, if you haven't checked into the cost of Vikane and/or thermal, you may want to. Those treatments are often must less expensive in markets where they are routinely used (and they are routinely used for drywood termites) than they are in markets where they are relatively newer and more scarce.

17. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 16:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Good ideas, guys, I just looked into Vikane and it's tons less than it was for me on the East Coast. Thanks, that would be a great option for her.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.