Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Another 'Solution' [Fiber Trap which mimics spider web]

(14 posts)
  1. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 9 2013 17:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Have not heard of this take on a solution - a spider web. Fibertrap is a patent pending and 'cutting edge' (their words, not mind) approach by addressing the fundamental weakness in all pests, mobility and locomotion; prevent movement and feeding which in turn impedes the establishment of any infestation. Their solution is the Fibertrap Web which is composed of fiber and designed to present an impenetrable barrier to a plethora of common pests. The web traps and binds most common crawling insects thus neutralizing their ability to infest homes and apartments.

They say it has been tested on bed bugs and termites, though the video only has adult bed bugs. How do 1st instars do against their product?

Web site has some spelling/grammatical errors (never a good method to build trust in your reader), the description of bed bugs strikes me as cut and pasted and their PR states "Most often, bedbugs move between walls via electrical outlets to unsuspecting home and business owners" - I would like to see support on that ...there is a horror movie in there somewhere.

Here is the PR linkNew technology wins the war on bed bugs and here is their web site: http://fibertrap.com/index.html.

I often wonder about the side kills of such 'solutions' and their impact. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 10:36:19
    #

Login to Send PM

This may be related to the work highlighted in a current Bedbugger blog post.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Canuck and thanks, to you and Ci. I added a comment here on the Bedbugger post on kidney bean leaves. It does seem relevant. Links and video included.

Note the Fiber Trap product does not appear to have any entomologists involved in its design or testing (unless I read the website and press release incorrectly) and hasn't been the subject of a peer-reviewed research study, unlike the kidney bean leaves.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if once a "concept" is out, lots of parties hustle to make it to market. (I recently watched a TED video that discussed how the Wright Brothers beat out a much better funded Samuel Langley to demonstrate successful powered flight.)

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

And let's remember people also scramble to copy when bad ideas come out. Toilet seat cover, anyone?

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 17:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

...and you think powered flight was a good idea?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 11 2013 0:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 7 hours ago  » 
    ...and you think powered flight was a good idea?

Well, how else would bed bugs get around quickly? Before air travel, it took weeks and weeks for them to go from one continent to another.

9. crossroads

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 22:28:44
    #

Login to Send PM

2017 update: Fibertrap's website now displays "Please contact your hosting provider":

http://fibertrap.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

And Google News shows no mention of Fibertrap since the flurry of publicity in 2013. Nor is there any mention of Fibertrap on SUNY's website.

Another bed bug innovation bites the dust...

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 6:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The issue with this one is that getting reliable trapping properties in man made materials was a little more complex than they anticipated. As such it came out of the gate over promising and under delivering.

Its certainly a short "boom and bust" cycle for most of these products and only a handful have been around for more than 5 years.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  11. crossroads

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 23:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

The issue with this one is that getting reliable trapping properties in man made materials was a little more complex than they anticipated. As such it came out of the gate over promising and under delivering.

Hi David,
    Thanks for filling in the background. This PR bubble -->> bust cycle is pretty interesting to observe, if a little depressing.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 9:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sadly it is just part of the way that society is given information.

Suffice to say I have been in the media holding pattern and as such have had a rather unique perspective of a few world events and how this "cycle" model works. It certainly arms you for the mini version, the product "pump and dump". The tail end of this being the bed bug traps that start appearing in the dollar store and cans of aerosol.

Some may be comfortable terming this "market economics" but for me there is a personal responsibility to correct errors rather than drive them on. After all if companies were responsible for the total cost of their actions we would have fewer mistakes. Obviously this is compounded between the risk aware parties at the top of the sector and the risk taking parties at the delivery and the disconnect between the structures of the parties.

This week there was the publication by one of the insurance giants that cited bed bug claims as being the second most prevalent animal mentioned in an insurance claim after deer.

I was once told (by someone who was then very senior in the industry) that "the tent was not large enough yet". I was somewhat shocked by that statement in 2011 and can only assume they are happy with the news that bed bugs made the 2nd spot.

While I don't see a market for "bobblehead" Lou's yet (although I think BD has done enough trench time to earn one when I get a 3D printer) I think there is a clear argument developing for the simple reality that the epidemiology of what is occurs clearly shows the current approach is not effective.

The funny thing is once it reaches a certain impact level of the insurance industry the pressure to create standardization and solutions that work will ultimately be the driving force that changes the service delivery.

I am sure that at some stage int he future someone will be able to link dopamine cycles into anxiety of potential or real insect exposure at an epigenetic level but it is clear that some people do seek that "chalice of hope" or "magic bullet" solution and other transfix over the smallest of possibilities that they may have bed bugs, even when more logic hypothesis present themselves. To some extent while that biochemical pathway remains unchecked there will always be a play for the "new miracle PR pump" because there is only so many times, "economic factor can take a spring out of the Easter bunnies step this year".

https://youtu.be/jH8dejYGa5A?t=36s

While some might say "all news is good news" I would counter with the reality that "fatigue" of fake news sets in quickly once you know the reality and you start keeping tally of how soon you can call it as "unviable". The record is 100 days before the product was launched (10 minutes after they started the count down timer to its launch).

Anytime you want a nominations to the old cynic's bed bug sub-committee let me know, we meet on 12th September each year (invitation only).

David

13. crossroads

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 12:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Aug 26 2017 11:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I did work on man-made fibers that were used to ensnare bed bugs and other insects. The engineering lab of a NY State University produced these micron thick fibers and they worked really well. Bed bugs became ensnared and also continued to try to crawl, eventually they died of exhaustion. That latency period would be directly associated with their last meal and stored nutrition. They had an outside company produce the fibers and they looked the same, but didn't really work.
    This was a story about a school project but it took place after the work done at the university as far as I know. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bean-leaves-dont-let-the-bedbugs-bite-by-using-tiny-impaling-spikes-18427074/
    Another article https://asknature.org/strategy/leaf-surface-traps-bed-bugs/#.WaGV37KGOpo may be of interest.
    Don't know what happened to this technology.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,720 posts in 42,630 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR