Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Ancient Hungarian Bed Bug Curse

(42 posts)
  1. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 17:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

It all started a few weeks ago when my elderly father was telling me about the bed bugs and rats and other vermin they endured during the 1930's on the farm. I, of course, asked how they dealt with the problem. My father said that his grandmother had a curse to get rid of the vermin. He swore it worked. They would wait until dark, after the local church bell rang, and then repeat the curse ... poof! Within two days, the vermin would be gone. I pressed for details of the curse, but my Dad couldn't remember the whole thing.

After many trans-atlantic phonecalls to various family members, my dad has finally pieced the BB curse together for me and gave it to me when I was over for lunch today. I made him perform it for me and almost killed myself laughing.

But here I am, back home. It's been almost 5 months of battling, and I'm feeling desperate enough that I am going to give this a try. I will share it here, in case anybody else is feeling desperate. I don't speak Hungarian, so my Dad wrote it out phonetically for me with specific instructions.

With no further ado, for all my fellow BB sufferers, here is the Ancient Hungarian Bed Bug Curse :

Wait until after 8:00 p.m. Ring a bell and in a subdued manner, chant :

OOM KY KONYOO MONYOO OOM KY KEE
    POLO SHAKA POLO SHAKA MANY MAR KEE
    DOOGY MAGY KARA FARA KOONYOO MONYOO OOM KY KEE

Repeat three times. Ring a bell when finished. No laughing allowed.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results. Still not sure what I'm supposed to wear for this sort of thing...

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 17:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you dust the cracks with paprika afterwards?

Jim

3. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 17:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL!! Well, I hadn't asked him if I needed any spices or herbs!! Perhaps I should burn some as incense while I do the chant!

4. bugbattler

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 18:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey! I'm not proud - I'll try anything. Besides even if it doesn't make them leave, I'm down w/ cursing them.

How do you pronounce Ky? (like die?)

Let us know if it works.

5. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 18:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh bugbattler, you are a good sport!

Yes, he pronounced it Kie - like die. Hmm. Die. I like that idea!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 18:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe it works because the bed bugs hear it and think if they are prepared to do that they are prepared to do anything and flee before its too late.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Adele

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2008 1:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Kate - you are a piece of work!!! how hysterical.. but may I add some suggestions?

I think some dim ambient lighting and holding a tall candle placed in an ancient metal candle holder (non infested please) with lots of melted wax around it

also I may add wearing a very mysterious hood

Good luck with all that!!

be sure to let us know the results

(and try not to laugh as that would REALLY spoil the mood)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2008 10:46:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If it works, Itchy-Scratchy, maybe we can distribute CDs of your dad authentically pronouncing it for us.

It would surely go to the top of the billboard charts in NYC.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2008 11:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Well?????????? Itchy-Scratchy what happened? Did the curse banish Itchy-Scratchy instead of her bed bugs!?!?

10. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 8:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I've been off the boards for a few days, busy with paperwork.

We haven't successfully performed the Curse yet because we can't get through it without laughing!! But we'll give it a try again tonight. At this rate, we may have to ask my Dad to come over and do it for us!

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 8:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the curse reading would work better with tin hats on.

David

I have been researching tin hat theories for some time now and have concluded that I can spray it back on the outside so that it matches my company dress code its just a matter of making enough to be able to protect myself from the satellite messages and still be able to have a fresh one for each job

12. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 21:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Glad to hear you worked out the problem of getting your tin hat to match your company dress code. Have you really been researching tin hat theories?? Plural? There's more than one theory?? Oh David, you make me laugh.

Speaking of which, I CAN'T wear tin hats while doing the curse because it will just make me laugh even more!! I still haven't made it through the process without bursting into laughter ...
    Kate

13. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 1:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy, are they gone? Maybe it's the laughter that scares them away? As long as they stay away!!!

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 9:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting you should mention tin hats then, perhaps you might try aluminum foil in case the current crop of bed bugs came from outa space. Actually I will confer with an associate who is Hungarian in regard to the curse and possible translation.

15. losingit

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 11:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember my elderly neighbour telling me that about 30 years ago they had bb's in their house and she got these fern leaves (the giant ferns apparently), she laid them between the mattress and boxsprings of each bed and presto! the bb's were never seen or felt again...

Although she said you had to be sure to get the fern leaves in June for some weird reason.

Hey, if we'er going to try chants then why not?

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 11:55:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Interesting you should mention tin hats then, perhaps you might try aluminum foil in case the current crop of bed bugs came from outa space. Actually I will confer with an associate who is Hungarian in regard to the curse and possible translation.

I think David means tin foil hat.

He did not say "aluminum," because he'd have to say "aluminium" and then giggles would ensue.

(Going to make my shhhedule now, David.)

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 12:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

At this point I would like to point out that we had language, culture and civilisation before the country you reside in was even discovered. In fact I have artifacts in my house older than the USA.

Now this argument starts to fall apart when you also realise that the initial US colonies of BB's most likely hitch hiked on the Mayflower.

I did in fact mean to type tin foil hat, I don't need a tin hat yet despite some of the infestations we deal with its not trench warfare yet.

David

18. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 18:58:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping an oldie but goodie…

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  19. flabergasted

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 19:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

How about we contact the vatican and see if they have an exorcism ritual for these things. I can't stop laughing Maybe it will start with e pliribus unum

20. bait

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 20:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

In Voodoo, salt is used (I know it's used for lots of things good and bad). Now, I hadn't given it any thought before now, but salt is caustic and I would love to see how a BB would survive a salt shower. Eggs too. (Don't you like salt on your eggs?).

A little background... someone tried to curse me by sprinkling salt around my chair at work. Maybe the curse was for me to get bug bites? I dunno....

21. mangycur

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 20:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually believe that some people probably can banish vermin through meditation. The Tibettan buddhists have done some amazing things and it's been scientifically documented. that said, I don't have those powers. I have, however, been able to make an arrangement with the roaches in my apartment building. I said to them, "I know you're here. I know you've been here much longer than me. I know I can't stop you. but if you could please just stay completely out of my sight, that would be really great for me. But if I do see you, I'll start putting poison down and stomping on you. So what do you think? Can we work this out?" And guess what? I don't see roaches for months. And if I do see one, I remind them of our deal. I think the caulking helps too. LOL

22. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 20:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

How about "E pluribus nil"?

Are they cursing you with BB bites or with a confusing prep sheet from a stoned PCO?

23. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 12:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So what happened to ItchyScratchy???

Did it work and she got rid of her bbs?

24. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 12:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

mangycur - 7 months ago  » 
    I actually believe that some people probably can banish vermin through meditation. The Tibettan buddhists have done some amazing things and it's been scientifically documented.

For that reason I don't totally discount things like this.
    My ancestors are Hungarian, so I am going to try the curse! Can the bell be a sound on the computer?

I have a certain song I listen to right before going to sleep. Can't say it has done anything BB wise but has brought me peace and helped me emotionally.

25. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 13:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Kirads, Share the song with us. I love peace and emotional stability.

I , too, would try a chant or a spice or a leaf to deal with this issue. Why not? I am spiritual and do believe in the power of prayer/medidation.

26. infestedwbb

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 19:16:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a bell !!! youhou !! I'll try that tonight... You know I've heard Hungarian is often refered to as the Devil's language, because it's so different from the ones in this region and aparently so hard to learn... maybe it explains the efficiency of the curse !

27. elderflower

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 23:34:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This wonderful curse sounds to me like the meeting of the Monty Python monks and Sly and the Family Stone: "Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem ... boom shaka laka laka, boom shaka laka laka!"

28. elderflower

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 23:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

A few years ago I had a minor bed bug problem and made a little speech to them, warning them that I was embarking on a program of eradicating them (vacuuming, steaming, spraying, etc) - it was very like mangycur's roach arrangement above.

No bugs afterwards, until yesterday. Time to go through it all again.

I am all for including the mind/spirit factor.

29. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 22 2010 16:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Too funny to not bump!

30. Grateful for Help

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 20:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, thank you SO much for this. I laughed out loud by myself.

elderflower,
    A friend of mine taught me how to get rid of ants, and other pests. He learned from his (Irish) mother who seems to have been a bug-whisperer of sorts. I only tried it three times, and I'm afraid to admit that it worked for me, in case I jinx it. ( impressive whisper:but it DID)

Considering all the components of the process, I don't think it would work for bedbugs, since part of it was promises about leaving food and such, unless I offer myself...hmmm, maybe I'll try it. What have I got to lose (other than jinxing my bug whispering abilities, which are legendary in my family)?

Sigh, great laugh.
    -Grateful.

31. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 9:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Just one of those posts that goes round and round. Although it doesn't seem to be deterring BBs much.

32. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 10:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't understand the words, but the Hungarian word for BB sounds a lot like "polo shaka". After initial snickering, I've developed a fondness for "the curse". People have a long history of invoking the spiritual to try to cope with pain. The curse might not have literally banished BB, but perhaps it helped a family to feel less frustrated while treating their home, or to sleep better at night.

33. Grateful for Help

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 10:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant, considering all the components of the bug whispering I was taught....THAT method might not work in this case.

But as for the curse, believe me, I wasn't questioning the Hungarian Bug Curse, it looks amazing, and my sister and I are TOTALLY going to try that

I can see how you'd develop a fondness for it. Very funny.

-grateful

34. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 17:27:28
    #

Login to Send PM

OOM KY KONYOO MONYOO OOM KY KEE
    POLO SHAKA POLO SHAKA MANY MAR KEE
    DOOGY MAGY KARA FARA KOONYOO MONYOO OOM KY KEE

I've told that the word above should be POLOSHKA and not written as POLO SHAKA. More information when I get it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 3:27:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Reviving this old favorite thread to note I gave it a nod in a post today about the ancient Balkan remedy (which is a bit more of a physical endeavor than the Hungarian one). Check it out here.

36. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 10:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

> Repeat three times. Ring a bell when finished.

We should post links to some nice bells.

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:32:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Please do!

38. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

See PM

39. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 10 2013 15:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Some bells which may be helpful:

Large solid brass bell with wood handle -- school bell

6" Solid Brass Fire Bell with Knotted Lanyard

And for shades of Fawlty Towers, Kikkerland Classic Stationery Bell

Note, this post is mostly in jest but these are Amazon affiliate links. Shopping (for anything) via them helps keep the site running at no additional cost to you, but I am letting you know as part of our Disclosure Policy.

Thanks, Ci!

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2014 0:12:27
    #

Login to Send PM

When I saw the following video, I knew I had to share it with the tin foil hat proponents here, including David and Winston (and Ci who has, no doubt seen it already).

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

(And yes, let's just say this was the only thread mentioning "tin foil hats" which I could bear reviving. In fact, this thread MUST be revived regularly in order for the site to function properly.)

41. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2014 16:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The responses are FUNNY. See if you like these bell sounds:

1. Brass Bell (sound)

2. Brass Bell (sound)

42. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2014 7:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup, and if you do that each day whilst standing on one leg here in the US it will also keep elephants from trampling your tomato garden.

In fact, this time tried and proven, handed down from generation to generation, preventative methodology has worked 100% for over 200 years except for that one time when Mr. John Smith's tomato garden, located in Brooklyn, NY, was in fact totally trampled by elephants but that was due to three escaped pachyderms from the touring Clyde Beatty Cole Brothers Circus nearby so, there's that . . .

Otherwise, it works great !

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes