Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

An ethical question, Need some feedback please

(8 posts)
  1. jannifer20

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 19:06:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a new friend that wants to meet me for coffee. I've been clear from BB since middle of August. Should I tell him that I had BB before I meet him?
    He belongs to the same church group that I belong to and I'm afraid to say anything.
    Am I obligated to tell him, or have the BB been gone long enough?

Had 6 treatments and 2 entomologists check, all clear so far.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 19:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Isn't coffee a bit early to start disclosing what has or hasn't been in your bed?

If he were coming over or you going over it could have relevance but at the moment, nah.

Jim

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 19:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You have been clear for two months...I think it is reasonable to meet for coffee without any disclaimers.

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 19:52:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Jannifer - we all know how hard it is to move on from an infestation - but you've been clear for more then 2 months - and after 6 treatments and 2 entos chekcing the situation then well I'm going to give you some wise old sage advice - go out and enjoy your life!!! you've earned!!!

do you need to tell this guy??!!! hell no... - if you were about to move in with him I would say yes - or if you were spending a lot of time at his place - or he at yours - then yes you mention it - but not now -

so go out and order somehting more costly than coffee too if he's paying!!!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 0:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have had no signs (or bites, and you reacted to them before), I am not even sure you need to tell him if he comes to your home.

I would tell someone eventually just because you're probably cautious at this point and a time may come eventually when you do things that might seem odd (like, um, remove all the bedclothes from a hotel bed and look closely at the mattress seams!) But not now. Not if you seem to be free of bed bug for months.

Enjoy!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 6:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would have to agree with the others, if you have had no activity for a while and are meeting out for coffee then there is absolutely no reason for disclosure of the fact that you have had bed bugs, it is a different matter if you still have them.

If they are a good friend and you want to talk to them about what you have been through then it may help but prior disclosure for meeting in a public place is not needed.

You technically would not even need to tell them if they came to your home. I have often though the ideal way to tell friends would be when they are sitting on the sofa with a cup of hot coffee, that way they are less likely to jump up and try and run away.

The fact that you had bed bugs does not mean that you still do and nor does it mean that you are any more likely than others to get them again in the future. Its a random exposure pest problem not a contagious disease.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  7. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 7:32:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes it feels like it is a contagious disease.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 7:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy-Scratchy - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Sometimes it feels like it is a contagious disease.

I know what you mean and it may seen harsh to drum home that it is not a disease but part of the reality of bed bugs and the spread around the world is that we need to stick to 100% facts with the basics because some inaccuracies will always lead to dead ends.

In the UK I have spoken with a lot of medical professionals about the issue and although Doctor education clearly has a role to play it is more important to get the identification of a bed bug issue accurate and that people are encouraged to look for the cause of the problem when they present symptoms. Examining physicians are in fact a high risk group as they will often have infected people into their offices.

There are however more accurately described as a plague than a disease although not really a biblical type plague as it seems to affect everyone regardless of religious bent.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,813 posts in 29,733 topics over 91 months by 12,858 of 20,148 members. Latest: stayathomemom, DarthUnit, redfruit