Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

alcohol percentage? for bb-killing, not drinking ;-)

(13 posts)
  1. stricken

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 16:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all you experienced bb'ers and pco's:
    I've heard a couple of variations on what percent of rubbing alcohol kills bb's. A PCO company I was interviewing told me that a 3:1 ratio of "whatever's in the bottle" to water would do it, so I bought the strongest I could find, which was 70%, and mixed it with a bit of water. It seems pretty potent but now I'm seeing 91% and am confused. Can someone please clear that up?
    Thanks!

2. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 19:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

91% straight not watered down.

3. stricken

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 19:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm, so if I add vodka to my 70% will I bring up the proof, I wonder.... Bought 2 bottles of 70.

4. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 20:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi stricken,

Maybe, but that would be a waste of Vodka, save that for excaping the BB battle for a little while and drink it up. Wouldn't it be nice if BBs drank the blood of a drunk person and died. Gosh I would save all the money I spent (and will spend) on 91% alcohol and get the biggest bottle(s) of grey goose or absolut instead and get s**t face drunk an lay naked on my bed if that would kill them LOL. See if you can exchange them or get a refund and get the stronger stuff or just save them for cuts and etc.

CSBB

5. stricken

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 21:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Sigh. I know. That's one remedy that's better to ingest!

6. grzes024

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 21:59:20
    #

Login to Send PM

aside from the drinking quaffs of alcohol - which i've been doing just to knock myself out (healthy, i know) - how exactly do you apply said alcohols to the areas? Do i just swab the crevices and areas. Completely saturate my walls with a spray bottle? i was browsing through the faqs but wasn't quite sure what to do. I lack most of the common sense that comes with home maintenance.

7. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 22:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

HI grzes024,

You spray the alcohol directly on the bedbugs to kill them however this won't do a think to the egg. Alcohol is a contact killer not residual so it will not continue to kill it will just kill the bugs you spray. So saturating the wall with this stuff won't do a thing unless of course your spraying the bugs themselves. Think of it as a cheaper (more healthier or at least that is what I tell myself) alternative to bug spray. Even though it cost me about $2.50 per bottle but bug spray is more expensive and I wouldn't want to lay in it or spray myself with bug spray. I usually spray my bed and pillows with alcohol before I get into bed to kill whatever bedbug are on them I also spray my clothes before I leave my house to kill whatever live bedbugs may have gotten on them. I'm terrified of spreading these things I commute on the train and go to work so I don't want to take any chances. I don't visit anyone anymore and I don't allow people to visit me which sucks. I also spray myself (well the clothes I have on) after I sit on my previously infested chair just in case I got something on me. I spray myself and my cart at the laundry mat when I handle my clean clothes, I spray the counter at the laundry mat before I put my clothes on it to fold. I also spray on surfaces that can handle alcohol without causing damage. For my wood I clean it with Murphy's oil which is another bedbug contact killer because the alcohol might damage the wood. This has become a ritual for me and I've been going through the alcohol like its water. Spraying with it that is not drinking it though sometimes I'm tempted to when I think about the endless nightmare I'm dealing with. I'm writing this and thinking just how OCD i've become since getting bedbugs its enough to drive someone crazy.

8. Infofreak

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2009 23:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

70% alcohol will kill Bed bugs on contact and so will 50 % , You can kill them if you use water just have to make sure you hit them good , Almost any spray Windex , hairspray or anything will kill a bed bug head on , but not eggs

9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 0:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can see a bug to kill on contact why not just use tape to catch them? You can get creative and place them into a glass jar and run the microwave for an evil death they deserve.

Or place the jar into a pot and boil some water on the stove ... listen as I think I have heard bed bugs scream in the past from this fun stuff =)

If the sun is out don't forget the fun magnifying glass death we use to put ants through as a kid.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 1:02:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Or collect a bag or jar's worth to carry into your building management office, or into housing court, as a "show and tell" when you try and get treatment (from the LL) and/or reimbursement (if you go to court) or the health department (if you want to plead for their help).

This kind of "visual aid" would also help if you want to take your story to the media.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. stricken

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 10:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah - thanks for the good advice - I have kept every one that I found and have quite the little bug collection by now, in various containers and ziplocks. I'm even collecting things I'm not sure of so as to ask someone about them. My CSI addiction is coming in handy, that's for sure!

Sadly, the one that the first so-called PCO, the LL's "roach guy," said didn't look like a bedbug and "must be from another country" is still with his "lab." I would love to have known what that really was....

PS Showing them to building management wouldn't help. He'd just think I'm a crazy lady collecting bugs.... (See "It's official: I'm the building's token hysterical broad," hehehe.) He'd consider it proof that his premise is correct.

12. grzes024

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 22:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

i could barely handle my 7th grade bug collection assignment. I don't think i could collect them, even for evidence. Every bedbug i see instantly gets pummeled by whatever blunt object is readily near by. i cut one in half with scissors as recently as 4am yesterday. Luckily my landlord doesn't need proof and I've just planned weekly sprayings in my apartment with my landlords PCO. So here's hoping. To tide me over till my next spraying i've got a lovely bottle of imported Zubrowka Vodka, a case of PBR (Classy) and a vintage bucky o'hare action figure that i've decided will be my smashing object of choice for killing these things individually. I really hope no videos of a drunken me smashing bed bugs with this green rabbit don't surface.

13. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2009 23:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

These are some creative ideas for torturing the suckers, I'll have to give them a try. I did save the very first bb I saw (well not the first just the first after realizing what it really was). I have it just in case I need proof, The exterminator inspected my bed and didn't find anything so I have it to pull it out when necessary (its dead of course) I would be afraid to keep those things alive because if one ever got away...DEAR GOD I don't even want to think about that. grzes024 put a mask on or paper bag with eye holes over your head and cover your tattoos if you have any that way you can't be identified should that video surface up..

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.