Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Resources

Airmid Healthgroup: bed bug product testing services

(6 posts)
  1. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 7:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Want to know if/how well your new bed bug trap works?
    This Irish company has set itself up in the bed bug product testing services line. Seems like a good thing these types of services now exist.

Press release: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/04/prweb14256463.htm

Website: http://www.airmidhealthgroup.com/services-airmid-healthgroup/bed-bug-testing-services.html

All testing is performed on the Cimex lectularius bed bug species in a temperature and humidity controlled chamber. Video footage and imagery of the test can be supplied.

Our clients include manufacturers of textiles, cleaning products, travel accessories and vacuum cleaners, as well as pest management companies.

We carry out pilot studies on prototype products through to full scale studies for claim verification on established products.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 8:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not the first company to offer testing services. For the most part these tests are conducted as "tank tests" or how attractive is the product in a barren environment.

What is actually a much more valid testing regime is "field data" or "how does it work under application conditions".

The main reasons why we see this is the case are:

• Bed bugs behave in odd ways when they are introduced to sterile environments
    • You have to have a person in the test rig and behaving normally to get field results

In most cases the ethics requirements mean the second is not possible under "lab test" conditions.

We have looked at about 6 testing proposals since 2009 and have failed them all on test design alone. While some have come back with a modified test format the costs are are often beyond what is feasible.

When I was audited for the system in 2016 we had to use clients who already had multiple years worth of data so that we could show the before, during and after impact analysis. Unfortunately all that data is subject to client confidentiality so we cant make it publicly available without express consent and at this stage we only have permission to share under a CDA / NDA which prevents us from making even the letters of testimonials we have available online.

I would also point out that some of these labs are also the ones that produce favorable results for the efficacy of liquid sprays, notably in brands that consumers report high resistance to.

Hope that fills in some blanks.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. F. Pazos

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 22:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

In my opinion, the lab tests are good at earlier stages of developing, only real field tests can be conclusive... I have tried and tested many products that had amazing results in the labs and when used in real life infestations they were less effective...

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  4. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 12:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 days agoIn most cases the ethics requirements mean the second is not possible under "lab test" conditions.

David, would it not be possible to set up something like the famous Common Cold Unit, which operated for many years in the UK and deliberately infected many healthy volunteers with cold viruses?

I would have thought the ethics concerns for a similar operation for bed bugs would be on roughly the same level as for colds. With proper protocols in place it should be possible to minimize the risk of volunteers walking the bugs out of the building when they finished their stay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Cold_Unit

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 13:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They key there is "used to".

I have had this debate with a few academics who have been clear that deliberate exposure fails the ethics testing.

I have seen facilities created to test using portable buildings and isolated buildings. I even built a contained area and occupied it myself a few times in order to test things. A few years ago a TV program in the UK deliberately infested a home that was due for demolition with a range of pests including bed bugs but this was on the grounds that the building was stand alone and due for demolition.

I believe they have a few buildings at Berkeley and a few academic sites but again you raise issues when you try to get permission to expose even volunteers to bed bugs.

However, the best data always comes from actual field use of things. It gets mentioned a lot over the years but there are lots and lots of bed bug products that are no longer on the market despite having glowing lab testing data and celebrity endorsements. Sometimes those products are clearly never going to work on a design level.

David

6. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 29 2017 0:06:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting perspectives, thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,613 posts in 45,832 topics over 139 months by 20,182 of 20,985 members. Latest: bbuganxiety, Paseorent, allspiceberry143