(6 posts)
  1. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 23:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So this is going to be long, but I need some serious advice on what to do:

In July my husband and I were staying in Tangier, Morocco, at a friend's house. We found a bed bug casing and fecal stain on our mattress after discovering there was an infestation in the room below us. We immediately packed up our bags, rented a taxi, and drove to the desert. We put everything in sealed clear plastic and laid it in the sun on a 120 F day. It was sunny all day. The thermometer, which measured to 140 F, burst. After that, we had no signs of any bugs-- no bites or anything, until more than a month later.

Early September we stay in a place (small cabin) for a week, and are getting bit like crazy. I thought it might be mosquitos, but because of our previous bed bug experience we took precautions. Before heading back to our apartment, we put everything we could into dryers on high heat for an hour. These dryers were located in our apartment complex. Anything that couldn't be dried, we bagged up. I treated those items later with rubbing alcohol or hot (boiling) water.

Since that time, we have been getting bitten, but with NO OTHER EVIDENCE. It has driven me nearly insane. In our region, there are no mosquitos because it is so dry. During winter time, all other bugs disappear. Fleas, I doubt. Our bites are typically discovered at some point in the afternoon, and are typically on the shoulders, on the back or side, and on the arms. On average, I've had about one bite every 1 or 2 weeks, and same for my husband. Mine tend to itch more. My bites look like small risen lumps, and if I scratch, a brown/reddish dot appears in the center.

We tore apart our apartment several times, inspecting the mattress and such, looking for other evidence, and could find none. In November my husband discovered several bites at one time and there was a blood stain on the mattress. We decided to start treating.

We purchased DE and generously sprinkled it on the mattress, the bed frame, the floor, the bases of all of our furniture, and the bases of all the walls. We reapplied diligently so that it stayed there for an entire month. During this time our bites reduced. I think I may have got bitten once, and my husband once.

Then, we had to prepare for a big move. We threw away lots of stuff, and anything we were taking with us, we either put in the dryers, boiled, or sprayed with alcohol. We poured hot boiling water over our backpacks and suitcases. Everything that was "clean" was kept in an isolated corner that was surrounded by a thick boundary of DE.

Then we went to Europe for vacation. Before landing, my husband notices a bite. I nearly went insane. We would be staying with various family members while in Europe and I didn't want to pass on this plague. So we bagged up everything in large plastic bags while staying at my Aunt's house. However, after three days there, I noticed a bite on my collar-bone (not an exposed area, since I wear a T-shirt at night). Then three days later, we were at a different place. My husband had a bite on his arm. Fast forward two weeks...we fly to the USA, and I ask my mom to bring large trash bags to the airport. While in the airport, we changed out of our clothes into clean clothes my mom had brought. We sealed all of our bags in plastic. The following day, we took everything to a laundromat and put in the dryers on high heat for 1.5 hours. Anything else, we sprayed with 91% isopropyl alcohol, or we poured hot boiling water over (things like suitcases). 3 days later, I noticed a bite on my shoulder.

The bite looks just like a bed bug bite. It's on my upper arm near my shoulder, maybe an inch or two past my T-shirt sleeve. It itched persistently the first day but then stopped. It developed a small reddish brown center after a day.

Right now my husband and I are preparing to move into a new apartment, and I don't know what to do. I'm halfway insane just thinking about how we may have spread bed bugs to all my family members. I don't know what to do for them, or what to do for myself. We have done everything we could.

In all of this process, we have seen no other signs of bed bugs (besides the bites), since we left Tangier in July. I haven't found any cast skins, no fecal stains, nothing. Even back in Morocco, the mattress looked clean. There was the one blood stain (a small bright-red speck), on my husband's side of the bed, which appeared the same day that he had several bites, back in November. I am wondering if this could possibly be something else? It is winter in Europe and the Northeast US, and I honestly can't think of anything else that would have bitten me!!! The place where the last two bites appeared would not have been totally exposed, but easy enough for a bed-bug to reach. Are there any other insects that would bite like this?

2. F. Pazos

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 23:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I read i would't think they are bed bugs, but to be safe I would do a preventive treatment with a silica powder (in your new home and would suggest your family to do it too)

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 23:51:53
    #

Login to Send PM

E. Pazos,
    For the preventive treatment do you mean to put down DE or Cimexa? Where would you put it?
    Thanks.

4. F. Pazos

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 0:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean to put Chinchex or Cimexa.... I would put it in the bed frame and bottom of the mattress, and cracks and sockets near the bed

5. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 17 2018 1:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the advice! We don't have that many possessions... my husband is in favor of keeping everything in plastic bags for six months, but I'm not sure how willing I am to live that way when there is so much uncertainty.

6. F. Pazos

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 17 2018 2:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

From all your explanations, if you do some preventive treatment you wouldn't need to have everything in bags

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99