Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

After a YEAR of no proof I finally caught one [a: bed bug or close relative]

(170 posts)
  1. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 6:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

After a year of self doubt and going back and fourth with my exterminator. I finally caught a bedbug. Some of you might recognize my name from here before. I never had any new signs for months to almost a year aside from bites. After a confirmed case. Many people here tried to tell me it's not bedbugs anymore. But I finally found one with some luck. Look like second stage maybe. Not very active either. Easily let me go grab the tape and come back to catch it with little effort.

So I know I must be an extremely rare case. But I've been getting bit consistently for over a year now. This is just the first actual bedbug I've find since the first month of ever knowing I had them.

Why aren't there more?

http://imgur.com/UbuAT4R

2. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 9:46:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry you have bed bugs, or at least one. Where in your apartment did you find it?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 10:01:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry about this, it can seem frustrating but equally getting proof first is important.

The good news from this is that it appears to just be the one. This is feasible with bed bugs and can mean that treatment is as simple as removing it and trying not to come into contact with them again.

I have dealt with a few such cases with advice and the use of a teaspoon to make sure they were all dead. Of course it helps that I treat cases based on their merit rather than adopting a formulaic or one size fits all approach.

Sometimes these ultra light cases can be harder to deal with because you are looking for such small signs in a comparatively large room. Often if we cant find live samples and all we have is cast skins or faecal traces we will use a round of Passive+ Monitoring to relocate the bed bugs into more optimal harbourages where they can be more easily detected and removed in the same way we do with hotels.

At this stage I would say you are looking for a professional with a scientific approach to the problem who is willing to come in and spend the time to find out what is going on. If they are pushing to treat before confirming they are unlikely to have the right skill level for this case.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Livingagain

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 10:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe the products used for the first infestation kept the numbers low?

Where did you find it?

5. Bappida

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 11:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

are you living in an apartment, or a stand alone? Maybe these migrated from one of your neighbors?

6. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 12:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

Faye and Barely, this one was found directly underneath my mattress. Also Barely, nothing has been used in over six months.

David, honestly I feel a little better actually finding one. This whole time people been trying to convince me I don't have them anymore when I knew I did. I had a confirmed case. Was supposed to be a light one but my exterminators couldn't get it done. I am not financially able to go and get my own so I was at the mercy of my landlord. Sadly, the exterminators he got I think sucked. They definitely sprayed even after they couldn't find and said I don't have them anymore. They took my word towards the end and eventually just said it's in my head.

Bappida, I live in an apartment. I thought the same and was told no one else reported anything. My landlord had my room painted and tiled and still have this issue.

7. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 12:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

This makes me scared and sad. I've only had a handful of bites and have found ONE bug with ZERO other evidence. I have a pest control guy coming tomorrow. I'm actually afraid it will be such a small infestation it will be impossible to eradicate. :'(

8. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 12:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Tuper - 26 minutes ago  » 
    This makes me scared and sad. I've only had a handful of bites and have found ONE bug with ZERO other evidence. I have a pest control guy coming tomorrow. I'm actually afraid it will be such a small infestation it will be impossible to eradicate. :'(

I really, really hope your case isn't the same as mine.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 14:50:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BuggedbyNight,

Maybe if you share what you tried that did not work it may be helpful to others to be able to avoid those mistakes.

I have not read your posts but apologies that I was off on secondment when you were first around.

As I said above light cases do take more skills which only comes through experience (something that is hard for a resident to gain).

David

10. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 16:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi BuggedbyNight,
    Maybe if you share what you tried that did not work it may be helpful to others to be able to avoid those mistakes.
    I have not read your posts but apologies that I was off on secondment when you were first around.
    As I said above light cases do take more skills which only comes through experience (something that is hard for a resident to gain).
    David

Well for starters. I wish I knew about bedbugs prior to when I found them. I had welts for at least a week because i never thought I'd had bbs. Just mosquitoes or something. That alone probably could've made a difference. Second, I moved out my room. Could've made them move around and spread making it harder to pinpoint. Or not. I tried to do it myself after not seeing results from the exterminator. Didn't make a difference. I used interceptors and Lou's traps but never caught anything. Don't depend on those for proof. I never found any castings or new poop either. But if you're consistently getting bit, don't let others convince you it's not bedbugs. Just because you can't see them. They are very good hiders apparently.

Most importantly. Get a good PCO

11. Panicked

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 17:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Really sorry to hear that you were proved right. I'm trying to find what has been biting me for 16 months now and no luck. No obvious signs and have looked the best I can. So so many places to hide. I have David Cains monitors and they are clear. Everyone is saying it's not, but there isn't much else that can bite all year round here in UK. Desperately looking for other reasons. What did you use to monitor? Which Interceptors and Lou's? Thanks

12. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 17:42:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Just found this after a few private messages.

Most likely newly introduced. More than likely an adjoining apartment has a problem that's not been identified or eradicated.

It's an immature so that could mean a few things -

1. There has been reproduction and multiple bugs for some time. I still can't get my head around getting bit nightly for over a year and not finding anything when searching. You're talking about multiple generations here and you would have hundreds if not thousands of bugs. Really think you could have missed that? I don't think so.

2. Being on high alrert for so long - one finally showed up that could have been picked up from outside or could have migrated in.

Either way you have some more investigating to do. Contact the land lord - insist on all adjoining unit inspections or threaten a call to housing.

Ask the land lord and building exterminator what plans they have for your place.

I wouldn't discredit the company that came in prior - if you couldn't find anything for over a year living there day in and day out, there probably wasn't anything for them to find.

My money is on new introduction via migration. Someone there has a problem and they are not saying anything.

Good luck!

13. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 17:54:24
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Just found this after a few private messages.
    Most likely newly introduced. More than likely an adjoining apartment has a problem that's not been identified or eradicated.
    It's an immature so that could mean a few things -
    1. There has been reproduction and multiple bugs for some time. I still can't get my head around getting bit nightly for over a year and not finding anything when searching. You're talking about multiple generations here and you would have hundreds if not thousands of bugs. Really think you could have missed that? I don't think so.
    2. Being on high alrert for so long - one finally showed up that could have been picked up from outside or could have migrated in.
    Either way you have some more investigating to do. Contact the land lord - insist on all adjoining unit inspections or threaten a call to housing.
    Ask the land lord and building exterminator what plans they have for your place.
    I wouldn't discredit the company that came in prior - if you couldn't find anything for over a year living there day in and day out, there probably wasn't anything for them to find.
    My money is on new introduction via migration. Someone there has a problem and they are not saying anything.
    Good luck!

You're absolutely right. I had the same logic in this. If I'm being chewed up like this, at this rate. There should be a dark corner in my wall, bed should be covered and all. And instead my room looks clean. I'd like to mention this thing looked like it was in its last few minutes of life. Barely responsive. I thought it was just a shell til it moved in the tape.

I got really lucky and found this. Now my landlord has no choice but to look into it now that I have a physical bedbug caught.

I'm just so over this situation. It needs to be over with already. It's like my only wish right now.

14. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 17:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 47 minutes ago  » 
    Really sorry to hear that you were proved right. I'm trying to find what has been biting me for 16 months now and no luck. No obvious signs and have looked the best I can. So so many places to hide. I have David Cains monitors and they are clear. Everyone is saying it's not, but there isn't much else that can bite all year round here in UK. Desperately looking for other reasons. What did you use to monitor? Which Interceptors and Lou's? Thanks

I had interceptors for the legs and middle of bed frame. Ordered from bedbugsupply.com. (Not sure if I'm allowed to link to sites??)

And Lou, he's a guy around here. Knows his stuff and made some traps for bedbugs. It caught everything but bedbugs. So I'm not gonna say it's ineffective.

Really sorry to hear man. Sounds like exactly as me. Have you had a biopsy done yet by a dermatologist? Make this a last resort. But if nothing else makes sense. Make that a step.

15. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

A dermatologist cannot "diagnose" bed bugs. My own biopsy results came back as inconclusive. The derm thought it was probably "insect bites" but couldn't be more specific- and that makes complete sense.

16. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged,
    Are those the DIY traps the Lou talks about? Lou is great and very knowledgeable. Are your mattress and box spring encased?

17. Panicked

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedbyNight - 18 minutes ago  » 

Panicked - 47 minutes ago  » 

I had interceptors for the legs and middle of bed frame. Ordered from bedbugsupply.com. (Not sure if I'm allowed to link to sites??)
    And Lou, he's a guy around here. Knows his stuff and made some traps for bedbugs. It caught everything but bedbugs. So I'm not gonna say it's ineffective.
    Really sorry to hear man. Sounds like exactly as me. Have you had a biopsy done yet by a dermatologist? Make this a last resort. But if nothing else makes sense. Make that a step.

Hi
    Lou is a great on this site. Has helped me to identify insects before. Thankfully, so far, none have been bedbugs.

Been to dermatologist and wasn't very useful. Typically, the bites were not present when I went. They wasn't bothered about seeing photos and just said I had Kerasotis Pilaris, which is a common skin issue, which is NOT what these are. Been to doctors and they said skin can change, been back again and they won't send me back to dermatologist. The search continues.......

18. Panicked

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Latest spots... Don't know how they compare to other people but.....

First pic - Under arm, get these on both arms. Usually 2 each time. I sleep with arm under pillow and these are pretty much where an air gap is. Just right for a bug to get to the skin. I also get similar ones on my stomach.

The other is one I had on hand today. Had one the same a few days ago on other hand. Start off red like this, then leave a tiny pinprick scab.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl480\qc\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs40 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 image by Lee Searle, on Flickr\
    }

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720

}

19. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:41:50
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Bugged,
    Are those the DIY traps the Lou talks about? Lou is great and very knowledgeable. Are your mattress and box spring encased?

Yes, if we're talking about the ones he made and sells. Definitely knows his stuff. Kinda sad he hasn't stepped in here yet lol. And there's no box spring. And I did have one on the mattress but eventually took it off. Wanted to lure them into a place I could easily identify them. Or at least that's what I was thinking at the time.

20. Panicked

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 18:52:31
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedbyNight - 9 minutes ago  » 

Bugged,

Yes, if we're talking about the ones he made and sells. Definitely knows his stuff. Kinda sad he hasn't stepped in here yet lol. And there's no box spring. And I did have one on the mattress but eventually took it off. Wanted to lure them into a place I could easily identify them. Or at least that's what I was thinking at the time.

Didn't know Lou made and sold traps? What are they called?

21. Ombugsman

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 19:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

@BuggedbyNight - Since you caught a live one, maybe let it feed on you and look at the mark(s) to determine if they're similar to the ones you had been getting?

22. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 20:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugs, we keep missing each other; sorry for carpet-bombing these threads with the same question, but were you a member of this board a few years ago?

What whispers the whisker?
  23. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 20:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 1 hour ago  » 
    @BuggedbyNight - Since you caught a live one, maybe let it feed on you and look at the mark(s) to determine if they're similar to the ones you had been getting?

This one I caught was dying. Barely reacted to me and my first attempt at getting it before getting tape.

24. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 21:24:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 2 hours ago  » 

BuggedbyNight - 9 minutes ago  » 

Bugged,

Didn't know Lou made and sold traps? What are they called?

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I meant Jim Dinca. He's another person in this forum. He makes traps.

25. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 21:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You mentioned that the bed bug you caught was barely alive. When your apartment was treated did you have Cimexa put in cracks and crevices? I was wondering if the bed bug was showing the effects of it.

I just saw you said it was Jim Danca who made the trap you used. How does that work on mattresses? Did you also remove the leg interceptors?

26. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 23:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 49 minutes ago  » 
    You mentioned that the bed bug you caught was barely alive. When your apartment was treated did you have Cimexa put in cracks and crevices? I was wondering if the bed bug was showing the effects of it.
    I just saw you said it was Jim Danca who made the trap you used. How does that work on mattresses? Did you also remove the leg interceptors?

I don't believe Cimexa was used. I did use JT Eaton dust but I've vacuumed often so I'm not sure how much was left.

I placed them by the head legs of the bed. And yes, in order to entice them. I heard they'll avoid the interceptors and climb onto the walls, and drop down. Maybe spreading after climbing the walls.

27. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 23:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

So this one you found did not get caught in the interceptor. Do you think you may have vacuumed up bugs?

BuggedbyNight - 8 minutes ago  » 

I don't believe Cimexa was used. I did use JT Eaton dust but I've vacuumed often so I'm not sure how much was left.
    I placed them by the head legs of the bed. And yes, in order to entice them. I heard they'll avoid the interceptors and climb onto the walls, and drop down. Maybe spreading after climbing the walls.

28. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 23:43:21
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 15 minutes ago  » 
    So this one you found did not get caught in the interceptor. Do you think you may have vacuumed up bugs?

BuggedbyNight - 8 minutes ago  » 

No, this one was underneath my mattress. When I decided to look. It was barely responsive. As for the vacuum, I'm not sure. I never saw anything, I'd always check first.

29. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 23:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

So the one you caught got past the interceptor into the mattress? What did your PCO say when told?

30. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 23:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 1 minute ago  » 
    So the one you caught got past the interceptor into the mattress? What did your PCO say when told?

Yup, it would seem. It was all so weird. I just told my landlord so I'm waiting for him to get back to me. I'm requesting a dog this time. Maybe a different approach will help.

31. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 0:09:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck - hope you get rid of them.

32. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 0:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Good luck - hope you get rid of them.

Thank you.

33. cantcallit2016

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 1:24:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged I'm glad you found one for your own sake I know how it feels 10 months here and not one bug it will drive you crazy looking everywhere and not finding no bugs but your story really helped me ty

34. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 1:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged, were you maintaining your interceptors or do you think they have had cracks or not slippery any more?

35. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 2:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

cantcallit2016 - 58 minutes ago  » 
    Bugged I'm glad you found one for your own sake I know how it feels 10 months here and not one bug it will drive you crazy looking everywhere and not finding no bugs but your story really helped me ty

No problem, I hope your issue isn't like mine. It's frickin horrible. Can't get no peace with this. Glad I can help though.

And Faye, I don't have them in anymore. But when I did. I maintained them. They were re talc'd and no cracks inside. I would catch rolliepollies, bout. Again, I took them off to entice them to the mattress. To find the proof I needed.

36. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 2:27:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so now have no interceptors, no traps, etc. Good luck and please keep us posted.

37. jds

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 4:05:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm feeling so uncomfortable about this. I've had skin reactions just like you for a few months without finding any real evidence. I'm using currently a single passive monitor and I have not any interceptors. (there were my DIY interceptors for a while that didn't catch a thing. )

In the pictures you sent about your skin reactions your skin looks a bit infected otherwise, just like mine does. There's definitely folliculitis in your hair follicles. I hope that mine and your skin reactions as well are infection- related. I don't know if I am giving too much hopes for myself. Sigh..

Anyway, I must continue living as I didn't have bb:s until I find real evidence. Living constantly in fear would be total waste of life. I have been quite comfortable recently, we have even had guests staying overnight. Until this post.
    Maybe I should quit reading this forum for a while (bb:s have begun actually to interest me a lot, I could see myself being a PCO one day if I hadn't another a bit better occupation already. There's currently not many competent PCO:s in my home country, as bb:s are not so common in here (yet))

I myself don't have fear of bugs nor I find battling bb:s overwhelming, but my wife isn't quite mentally stable, she has gone trough very troubled times. I just fear losing my wife and small baby to a stupid insect!

If I happened to have an infestation, it would be very light as no evidence is visible. I would do Cimexa dusting just in case if the product was available in here! There's DE but it's not a common household item (furthermore, I don't know how much money I should be using when there's not proper evidence.)

This was a bit incoherent post. Anyway, It's important for me to be able to share experiences with you. There's nobody to talk about this except you:)

38. jds

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 5:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, seems I mixed up things. I thought that the pictures of skin reactions were of op. (You should start a new topic if you are going to change subject!!:) This topic is supposed to handle issues of the o.p.)
    So, panicked, there's no point stressing over skin reactions. Your dermatologist could also be right, just saying. At least you don't have evidence to prove otherwise.

39. Panicked

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 10:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

jds - 4 hours ago  » 
    Sorry, seems I mixed up things. I thought that the pictures of skin reactions were of op. (You should start a new topic if you are going to change subject!!:) This topic is supposed to handle issues of the o.p.)
    So, panicked, there's no point stressing over skin reactions. Your dermatologist could also be right, just saying. At least you don't have evidence to prove otherwise.

Sorry u got confused! I was on topic I feel as the original poster was stating that they were getting bites and no proof. And asked about my skin and seeing a dermatoligist. I empathised and wanted to show my bites to see if they felt they were the same as I have been a long time with no evidence also. As u say there is no point stressing over skin reactions. Hope yours isn't bedbugs too! Fingers crossed for u

40. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 13:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 3 hours ago  » 

jds - 4 hours ago  » 

Sorry u got confused! I was on topic I feel as the original poster was stating that they were getting bites and no proof. And asked about my skin and seeing a dermatoligist. I empathised and wanted to show my bites to see if they felt they were the same as I have been a long time with no evidence also. As u say there is no point stressing over skin reactions. Hope yours isn't bedbugs too! Fingers crossed for u

It's cool dude. Most of my bites are either on my arms, and stomach mostly. Sometimes the legs too.

41. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 14:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Got some good news, my landlord is having my unit checked with a K9. I really hope this works. Anyone have experience using or working with a K9?

42. Livingagain

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 14:47:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, in my case, they were accurate.

43. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 14:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Good. Are neighboring units also going to be checked? Did you get bitten last night?

44. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 15:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear, Barely. I'm not sure if other unit are getting checked. I didn't get to ask, kinda slipped my mind when I heard I was getting a K9 inspection. I also haven't noticed anything, yet. Sure I will later.

45. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 15:21:57
    #

Login to Send PM

When you talk to the landlord again you might want to ask about neighboring units, because if they're coming from there then just treating yours may not solve the problem. Hope you stay bite-free.

46. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Feb 25 2017 5:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity. I've noticed a mod added a. Bedbug or close relative. What would qualify as a "close relative"?

I never knew of another bug that resembles the bedbug. Aside for bird bugs? Or something like that.

47. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 3:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedbyNight - 22 hours ago  » 
    Just out of curiosity. I've noticed a mod added a. Bedbug or close relative. What would qualify as a "close relative"?
    I never knew of another bug that resembles the bedbug. Aside for bird bugs? Or something like that.

Bat bugs are a close relative to bed bugs. They look exactly alike but bat bugs feed off of bats. You can only tell them apart by certain hairs. If someone has bats living in their home like the attic, they will most likely bring bat bugs with them. Once the bats are removed or relocate they leave behind the bugs which can migrate to human living areas. Im not 100% sure if they can survive off humans or if they continue looking for bats until they die of starvation.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  48. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 5:26:23
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 1 hour ago  » 

BuggedbyNight - 22 hours ago  » 

Bat bugs are a close relative to bed bugs. They look exactly alike but bat bugs feed off of bats. You can only tell them apart by certain hairs. If someone has bats living in their home like the attic, they will most likely bring bat bugs with them. Once the bats are removed or relocate they leave behind the bugs which can migrate to human living areas. Im not 100% sure if they can survive off humans or if they continue looking for bats until they die of starvation.

Thanks for that, yeah definitely no bats by me lol.

49. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 7:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you had any more bites since you found that bug? When are you having the dog inspection?

50. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 8:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 1 hour ago  » 
    Have you had any more bites since you found that bug? When are you having the dog inspection?

Yes, still getting bites. Had two on my chest yesterday. One on my thigh now. They haven't called, they're supposed to call Monday.

51. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 13:19:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck.

52. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 17:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 4 hours ago  » 
    Good luck.

What's your story, Faye? Are you a PCO or had them before?

53. cantcallit2016

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 18:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged glad too hear your being inspected by k9 I know how it feels in a apt had a confirmation active infestation back in mid 2015 ended up burning bed, couch and recliner I'm in the same boat as you now they have been saying pco and manager I'm clear for 10 months because haven't found no bugs even my doctor is saying it's not bb bites but that's sure how it feels so understand how you feel

54. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 19:52:17
    #

Login to Send PM

And Faye, I don't have them in anymore. But when I did. I maintained them. They were re talc'd and no cracks inside. I would catch rolliepollies, bout. Again, I took them off to entice them to the mattress. To find the proof I needed.

So you were not being bitten in bed when you had the interceptor traps on the bed legs? Where were you being bitten, at the couch or desk or ?

Account closed
  55. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 21:41:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedbyNight - 4 hours ago  » 

FayeState - 4 hours ago  » 
    Good luck.

What's your story, Faye? Are you a PCO or had them before?

I'm not a PCO. I am stressed I might have introduced bed bugs into my house last October.
    Good luck tomorrow. Hope you can get the issue resolved by the dog visit.

56. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 22:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 2 hours ago  » 

So you were not being bitten in bed when you had the interceptor traps on the bed legs? Where were you being bitten, at the couch or desk or ?

I was being bitten regardless of interceptors or not. Which is why I just took them off. I'm definitely bit in my bed

57. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 0:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you going to be present during the K9 inspection so you can ask questions?

58. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 0:38:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I was being bitten regardless of interceptors or not.

Ah so they were already on the bed then. That makes sense now. Thanks.

59. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 0:43:39
    #

Login to Send PM

or maybe coming from neighboring apartments

60. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 2:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

or maybe coming from neighboring apartments

What do you mean? If he had interceptor traps on the bed legs and was being bitten in bed then the bugs must have been living on the bed. Or getting onto the bed some other way... linens touching the wall or floor or furniture, an electric blanket cable, bed or frame touching the wall, curtains touching the bed, etc.

61. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 10:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I was very careful about isolating the bed. I steamed it a lot too but never made a difference in the number of bites I was getting. Never made sense how they were still on my bed somehow. I thought maybe the interceptors made them avoid the legs and use the walls to jump down.

And yes Faye, I'll definitely be home to ask questions.

62. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 12:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 3 days ago  » 
    Latest spots... Don't know how they compare to other people but.....
    First pic - Under arm, get these on both arms. Usually 2 each time. I sleep with arm under pillow and these are pretty much where an air gap is. Just right for a bug to get to the skin. I also get similar ones on my stomach.
    The other is one I had on hand today. Had one the same a few days ago on other hand. Start off red like this, then leave a tiny pinprick scab.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    \deftab720
    }
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    \deftab720
    }

That's almost exactly like what some of mine do. But sometimes I welt up with significant swelling, heat, and redness. Not sure what the difference is.

63. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 16:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

How much is it to get the dog out? If you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking I might have to go this route if I keep getting bit. I can't tell if I have new bites or they are old ones. Going to start marking myself with a permanent marker. :-/ (Trying to convince myself I'm just being paranoid.)

Edited to add: I guess your landlord is paying for the k9, but ask anyway for me? Lol!

64. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 16:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

maybe the interceptors made them avoid the legs and use the walls to jump down.

Bed bugs can't jump so it would have to be that they dropped from the ceiling, and opinions on this scenario are divided.

We were quoted $325 for a K9 inspection.

65. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 18:06:57
    #

Login to Send PM

That's it? That sounds totally worth it to me. I do know that they have some in my state, I've already Googled. I'm hoping my situation is already resolved. But if I continue to get bit without evidence, I will be going the dog route.

66. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 18:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedByNight,
    Have you heard anything about the dog?

67. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 19:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, drop down is what I meant. And tomorrow the dog is coming. Quote for the tenant would be difference for the landlord. I would be charged $300 where it's a lot more for the landlord.

68. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 20:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Will the dog also be checking neighbors? I know this site has some stuff about dog inspections, such as having hits verified by the person with the dog - you might want to read the stuff.

69. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 22:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so excited to hear the results! I sure hope they can figure out where it's coming from and STOP IT. I trust a dog nose over a human guess any day of the week!

70. Freaked Fighter

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 23:07:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a pro, and $300 is a lot of dough, but make sure if the dog hits the handler visually verifies the hit (have a bottle ready in case you can catch some). The dog could be hitting on an old infestation or cast or who knows what. So make sure your handler visually verifies the bed bugs if the dog hits.
    Good Luck and keep us posted.

71. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 10:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it's very important to have the handler verify, I wouldn't accept just the dog's signal.
    Freaked, nice to see you again, I take it all is well, yes?

72. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 11:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Best practice with regards K9 scent detection is laid out in the documents below:

http://bedbugger.com/2010/03/10/bed-bug-dogs-what-you-need-to-know/

Also:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/k9scentdetection.html

and

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/confirmingBBsignsfinal.pdf

The last link is the checklist created by NoBugsOnMe and I to help people make sure they get the service they deserve.

Hope that helps.

David

73. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 11:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Guy and K9 just left. Dog had two hits on bed and couch. He hit both left side corners of my bed and left side of the couch. He wasn't able to visually confirm anything though. Not sure what to make of it. So now I'm due for another round of spraying. Joy

Oh and he did mention how he just found out he's going to another apartment connected to mine, for an expection. Either above or below.

74. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 12:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So if anyone is wondering what is my next move. I'm getting rid of my bed frame. Even though it's less than a year old, I'm gonna dump it. Don't wanna risk having a nice bed frame of these bastards can hide in it so flawlessly. I'm just gonna eliminate that option. I already ordered a metal frame and new smaller black interceptors that are going on that frame the day I put it together. Gonna try to isolate it again. This time full proof. And I guess keep working with the exterminators.

75. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 12:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to throw that frame away, please reconsider. If you want to use the new metal frame during treatment you can store your old frame, just keep your PCO in the loop so that both old and new frames can be treated.

76. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 12:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 minute ago  » 
    You don't need to throw that frame away, please reconsider. If you want to use the new metal frame during treatment you can store your old frame, just keep your PCO in the loop so that both old and new frames can be treated.

I'm not worried about it. Too many nook and crannies for these guys to hide apparently. Inspector said if he was to be honest. He'd get rid of this bed frame I if he could and get a metal one. This one I have now can be rebought. Not worried about that part I just want this all over with.

Hey Tuper, what ever happened to your visit with the exterminator?

77. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 12:58:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Gotcha. Whenever I run across wicker it generally gets tossed for the same reasons.

78. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 12:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 27 seconds ago  » 
    Gotcha. Whenever I run across wicker it generally gets tossed for the same reasons.

I just rather be safe than sorry. I got me a nice looking metal frame for cheap. Very easy to check and that's what I need right now. No places for them to go.

79. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 14:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedbyNight -

Hey Tuper, what ever happened to your visit with the exterminator?

He found nothing. Zero signs. Misidentified a half a dead fly as a bedbug. Expensive treatments that don't include encasements and no guarantees. I'm refusing treatment from them. I have a phone call in to a semi local company that uses dogs and heat treats and claims to have a 100% guarantee.

I'm glad to hear the dog found something for you! That it's not just in your head. I am very afraid to go with "blanket treatment" with such a minor infestation. ESPECIALLY with no guarantee. I'm a single mom and own my own home. If I'm going to strap myself to pay for treatments it BETTER work.

80. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 14:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Metal frames are fairly easy to work with, they make up the vast majority of the frames we use here at work. Very easy to inspect and the creases and pits keep bed bugs right where you'd want them for quick spotting.

81. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 15:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Metal frames are fairly easy to work with, they make up the vast majority of the frames we use here at work. Very easy to inspect and the creases and pits keep bed bugs right where you'd want them for quick spotting.

Yeah that's the plan. They must be in my bed frame somehow. The dog really went into that corner of my bed frame. This metal one should be a lot easier to keep on top of.

And yeah Tuper. If he didn't find anything, on top of no guarantee. No way I'd take that as an option

82. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 15:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Just remember that an actual ID has to accompany any dog's alert for it to be reliable. Having a frame that you don't have to question will remove a ton of stress. Your case is an odd one, I'm interested to find out where the bed bugs are actually harboring.

83. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 15:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Just remember that an actual ID has to accompany any dog's alert for it to be reliable. Having a frame that you don't have to question will remove a ton of stress. Your case is an odd one, I'm interested to find out where the bed bugs are actually harboring.

So am I. I want to see whether I was right of them getting to me by dropping down was right or wrong. Dog apparently thinks their in my bed frame. I'll just get rid of it and see what happens.

84. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 15:52:51
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedByNight,
    Thanks for telling us about the dog search. At least, I guess, you now have something to work with. Some questions: Why didn't the handler verify the dog hits as I read here that is what is suppose to be done in order to trust them? Can you find out what happened with the search of the other apartment to see if they may also be coming from there? Why did they decide to do only one of the apartments? I thought, though I could be wrong, that David Cain said wood frames are better than metal ones for avoiding bed bugs - David, is that correct? You said you had a monitor, if I remember, how did it work?

85. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 15:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 2 minutes ago  » 
    BuggedByNight,
    Thanks for telling us about the dog search. At least, I guess, you now have something to work with. Some questions: Why didn't the handler verify the dog hits as I read here that is what is suppose to be done in order to trust them? Can you find out what happened with the search of the other apartment to see if they may also be coming from there? Why did they decide to do only one of the apartments? I thought, though I could be wrong, that David Cain said wood frames are better than metal ones for avoiding bed bugs - David, is that correct? You said you had a monitor, if I remember, how did it work?

We flipped the mattress and bed frame on both sides as we looked. Didn't find anything. I doubt I'll be told anything about the other apartment due to privacy laws and such. Maybe I can get hopefully a yes or no. And I'm not sure what made them go check out the other apartment.

86. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 16:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

I advocate wooden beds over metal tube framed ones because we see different dispersal patterns with metal tube framed beds and a lighter infestation can be more dispersed because of them.

In contrast a wooden framed bed which is assembled correctly and sealed correctly can provide so few habrourage points that bed bugs become easier to deal with.

For example is a client is having a bed replacement program we will advise on the most optimal design and have actually gone as far as to design a hospitality bed for one client although they went for a design from a catalog in the end.

The difference is neutralized with monitoring and given the range of client beds we work with we have a significant body of data that proves monitoring efficiency is more important than bed design.

There are some optimization guides in the advanced educational section of my home site.

Hope that helps.

David

87. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 16:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey David. This is what I decided to get. Something simple that looks really easy to check.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2u88a52.jpg

I don't think I should have a problem with this one.

88. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 17:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Professionals on here, what do you all make out of there not being identifiable fecal on the bed frame with enough bugs to cause biting every night and having lasted as long as it did? How would people inspect for this? David, would your passive monitor have gotten the bugs into it instead of them staying in the frame?

89. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 17:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, you really do need to snap back to reality, this is really unhealthy.

90. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 17:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So, BigDummy, what is your response to the questions I asked?

91. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 17:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

My response is the same; you're busy chasing ghosts, winding yourself deeper and deeper into something that just isn't reality.

92. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 18:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Faye, you've never had a confirmed case of bedbugs?

93. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 18:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedByNight,
    My situation like I said above is that I am afraid I may have introduced bed bugs last October. My fear is that we have them, are non-responders to bites, and do not do good inspections (senior citizens so harder move stuff), and therefore, could actually have them even though we haven't found signs and clear monitor. Situations like yours obviously concern me.

94. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 19:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 55 minutes ago  » 
    BuggedByNight,
    My situation like I said above is that I am afraid I may have introduced bed bugs last October. My fear is that we have them, are non-responders to bites, and do not do good inspections (senior citizens so harder move stuff), and therefore, could actually have them even though we haven't found signs and clear monitor. Situations like yours obviously concern me.

What makes you think you "may" have encountered them back in October? I'm just trying to understand your logic.

95. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 19:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye.....a dog might be your best bet to ease your mind. I chatted with the local-ish folks to me today and he eased my mind immensely with just a 45 minute phone call. I was exposed for sure last August and DID find one (confirmed last week. Everyone here, plus the professional (bbs is ALL they do) talked to today said that if you have them for a couple of months without treatment you would have thousands. So I know my one lone bug didn't come from august! (Apparently they are pretty common if I'm exposed twice in the last 6 months!)

96. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 21:10:08
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem, When I came home from the doctor's office in October, I found something on my pants, took it off with a Kleenex, and then went to look at it and it was gone. I know bed bugs are everywhere and am worried I picked one up at the doctor's office and introduced it to my house. I am, of course, mad at myself about this, and should have handled it better. As of now I do not plan to go to any doctor's offices again.
    With your situation, it sounds like if you weren't a bite responder you wouldn't have know you had bed bugs, even after a year, since there was no evidence other than bites, such as fecal on your head board, and a huge number of bugs.

BuggedbyNight - 1 hour ago  » 

BuggedByNight,

What makes you think you "may" have encountered them back in October? I'm just trying to understand your logic.

97. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 21:13:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Tuper, so what are you going to do?

98. BuggedbyNight

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 21:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 41 minutes ago  » 
    No problem, When I came home from the doctor's office in October, I found something on my pants, took it off with a Kleenex, and then went to look at it and it was gone. I know bed bugs are everywhere and am worried I picked one up at the doctor's office and introduced it to my house. I am, of course, mad at myself about this, and should have handled it better. As of now I do not plan to go to any doctor's offices again.
    With your situation, it sounds like if you weren't a bite responder you wouldn't have know you had bed bugs, even after a year, since there was no evidence other than bites, such as fecal on your head board, and a huge number of bugs.

BuggedbyNight - 1 hour ago  » 

BuggedByNight,

True, but I physically seen them on my actual bed before. To be honest Faye, I don't think we have the same problem. This is something I know for a fact I had before and still had. Even though I couldn't see them any longer. You never saw them or not sure if you ever did. Best thing for you to do is take it off your mind. Are you even getting any welt-like bites? Or bites at all.

99. Tuper

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 23:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, I'm just monitoring at the moment. One "bug" on your pants leg from the doctors office sounds HIGHLY unlikely. I'm a farm girl, I'm outside with bugs all the time, and I am also VERY actively going places. I travel a lot, visit friends, etc. This is the first time I've ever seen a bb in my life. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

100. FayeState

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Mar 1 2017 0:08:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged,
    I know our situations aren't the same. I thought you said that you thought you still had them, but people tried to persuade you that were gone - that it wasn't a fact until you found that one last week. So it is possible I can have them, but just no proof. I feel itching but have seen nothing that looks like a bite. However, I know a lot of people do not react to bites, and that it is more likely when a senior citizen, which we are. Had you not reacted to bites you would not even know you had them. I wonder how many other people have them and don't know because they don't react to bites, and how long they have them. Also, I am suprised your trap on the bed didn't pick up one since you had enough that you were getting bitten every day.
    Hope you get your bed bug situation resolved real soon and never have to deal with it again.

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

257,197 posts in 41,258 topics over 125 months by 18,081 of 18,500 members. Latest: astephe2, Cmarie32, bobisnotkee