Afraid to go to sleep....vaseline?

(7 posts)
  1. Sad Newbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2011 23:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'm terrified to go to sleep. I have all the lights on...like that will stop them. Just can't bring myself to go to sleep. So scared.....

Ok, here's a quick question on how to get some relief:

I keep reading that I should put Vaseline on my bed legs, but then started seeing tons of posts about not doing that. Could I just do it for tonight and tomorrow night (My PCO will come Friday)? I'm afraid they are hidden somewhere inside my metal frame though.

Or is there something else that I could do?

2. Totally Bugging

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 8:29:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I put double sided tape around the legs of my bed, I have not seen and on it, and i did get a new bite even after that, but i just "felt" more at ease with it there. Other than that, i completely understand what you are saying. i found the bugs 4 days ago, and had my 1st treatment done yesterday. I am so very tired, but i know its nothing compared to what others are dealing with. I have no idea how liong i will dealing with this battle i just know somehow I have got to get some sleep. i have a very demanding job and need to be on top of everything and now a days I am looking up everything bed bug related..I read a woman on here used baby oil all over herself to help guard against bites? Maybe that would be something? I wouldnt be able to stand the feel of that.
    Good Luck, try to rest at least. Last i forced all of us to relax. after we got the house back together as best we could, we ate at the table, adn took a walk and watched some TV. I am looking all over the couch and floor, but at least i stopped moving for a little while and tried to enjoy my house.

Keep up a brave front and be dilegent, and this will all be over eventually.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 12:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert, but as I understand it, the reasoning behind NOT putting vaseline or double-sided tape on your bed legs is that it may cause bed bugs to spread further in your home, which makes treatment much harder and may mean you're living with bed bugs longer.

If the bed bugs are on the bed frame or anywhere on the bed, then this will not help you at all.

I would urge you not to do it. Isolating the bed is not recommended; however, if you must avoid bed bugs climbing onto the bed, ClimbUp Interceptors would be preferable to tape or Vaseline.

They would let you know if bed bugs were trying to climb up, while trapping them. You can read about them here. That's probably not easily to implement today, however.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 12:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

...so I would recommend waiting until the PCO comes if at all possible. If you can see any bed bugs, kill and remove them.

5. Sad Newbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 18:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I did not use the vaseline or anything; just let the light on and didn't sleep until 7am. Somehow, the sunlight gives me comfort. Really am trying to sleep.....

6. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 18:36:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 days ago  » 
    Isolating the bed is not recommended; however, if you must avoid bed bugs climbing onto the bed, ClimbUp Interceptors would be preferable to tape or Vaseline.

Why would bedbugs spread if this was done? I would think they'd still go toward their food (human in bed), but they'd get caught while climbing toward it. Now if something repellant in nature was on the legs, I could see a possible spreading. That's why the climbups are climbable, right? The bedbugs think they are going toward their food, but get trapped. Are they smart enough to avoid the climbups?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 22:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

We've heard reports of bed bugs approaching the Vaseline, and turning around and walking away. We've heard the same thing about double-sided tape. That doesn't mean it might not trap some, but it may not and has been seen to not do so.

It's true that Vaseline and tape may also cause bugs to release alarm pheromones.

Some (David Cain is one) have expressed concern about alarm pheromones with ClimbUps too -- that that ClimbUps may potentially lead to bed bugs dispersing, and that camp would argue for something like the BbAlert Passive instead.

That said, if you absolutely want to prevent bed bugs climbing onto your bed, and this is more important to you than any concerns about potential dispersal, than ClimbUps are probably a better idea. I expect it is more effective than Vaseline or tape at catching them, and you have the bonus of knowing that something made the attempt.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.