Advice on packing / moving after first treatment

(4 posts)
  1. BedBugMurderer

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 10:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Once my PCO is finished with his extermination, I have to start packing right away.. I only have a week before I need to move. (GREAT timing to find bedbugs, but I'm glad to know before I packed up the infested couch and loveseat, and other potentially infested items in the living room!) Should I wait a few days to pack up certain rooms, such as the living room, to give the "stragglers" a chance to come out and die? Is a few days enough time to give them to come out? I've read here that their activity increases, so I'm afraid it may spread beyond the living room, and into my things in other rooms, before I have a chance to pack it up. Plus, I've confined myself to one bedroom, away from the infestation.. it will be 6 days from the time I started avoiding the living room, until the PCO can spray on Tuesday.. hopefully they haven't wandered yet, but who knows? The last thing I want to do is carry a problem with me.

I'm fortunate enough to have a key to the new house I will be moving into, and the owners agreed I can start moving things over before my official "in" date, the 15th. There is an attached garage in the new house as well. I have taken over a few bags of things I washed and sealed, and set them in the laundry room there. I wonder if there are certain things I can pack up first, and take over there , immediately after treatment? Kitchen/bathroom items, for instance? That's my thought, to take things from the least likely infested rooms over first. Also, is it safe to pack things in new cardboard boxes, and should I treat the boxes or spray things down as I pack them up? What is the best method? I have little time to get everything out, and I'm doing it on my own. One thing for sure, I don't plan on taking the couch and loveseat with me, but I'd like to save everything else in the living room.. furniture, pictures, electronics, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 11:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

After several spray/dust treatments, you
    may be clear but you should assume you possibly still have bed bugs and that they could be in any of your stuff.

If treating everything with Vikane or heat professionally is not an option, please see the FAQ on getting bed bugs out of your stuff.. This may help, though it's possible you may also need to continue treatment at the new location.

Packtites can be useful, again, if that's an option.

DDVP strips may also be helpful for treating items in sealed bags-- perhaps set up on arrival so they're not disturbed. We don't have a FAQ on it because it's controversial and because most here aren't qualified to advise on its use. Paul Bello is one proponent of these and you might PM him with questions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 11:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, and avoid cardboard boxes if possible. Corrugated cardboard is a bed bug dream house.

4. johnhelen69

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 31 2012 2:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

A few months before, i had moved to Toronto and i availed a self storage moving service of a company called Security self serve storage from whom i got some packing tips in order to keep the bugs away from the stuffs. I am here to share it with you also.
    1. Buy mattress encasements for mattresses
    2. Wash the clothes properly and dry them in the hottest dryer setting. Then wrap them in clean plastic bags
    3. Dry the pillows, linens and other fabrics with a dryer for at lesst 20 minutes and this can kill the bed bugs if present.
    4. Buy a product labelled for bed bugs and spray it over all the holes and cracks found on the bed and couch.
    5. Keep in hand an LED flashlight to inspect at times.
    For storage and storage organization tips, here is a link:

securitystorage.ca/moving-tips/ .

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,678 posts in 31,249 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear