Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

advice on carpet beetles?

(3 posts)
  1. itchyincharmcity

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 9:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks. I have not been around here in a long time, sorry about that. I guess when my personal BB drama was over I just didn't want to think about them anymore.

So it looks like my elderly parents have an infestation of carpet betles. Not getting bitten but little bugs everywhere, my mom took one of them to the extension service and the woman there confirmed it was a carpet beetle. When I heard I knew I had to visit this forum! You guys are awsome and know everything.

Hard to tell how bad it is as my parents live several states away and I can only go by what my mom tells me on the phone. I think we have identified the main room where they are breeding, it is a very cluttered space and that is where the most bugs are being found. From what I can tell that room is seriously infested, while we were talking she caught about 20 of them around the window. But they come from outside, right? Perhaps they are coming from a birds' nest outside the window?

Any advice on how to get rid of these things? I have read conflicting info online, some sites say they are easy to eradicate and some sites say they can be as bad as BBs.

Since my parents are 80 years old, they are just going to get a PCO, but first they need to do some serious decluttering and at their age it will take a while. I will visit next weekend but realistically I can't drive 400 miles round-trip every weekend to assist.

So in the meantime before the PCO comes, can you guys offer any advice on how to deal with them and how bad this is going to be? For now I am just giving them the BB SOP: declutter, wash everything in hot water and bag it up, vacuum like crazy, etc. Of major concern are the expensive oriental rugs, I advised daily vacuuming, bug spray etc.

When I visit, do I need to worry about bringing them home, like I would with bedbugs?

I would also appreciate recommendations for a good PCO in north Jersey, but I know I can search the forum for that.

I can't believe I am saying this, but thank God for my own little BB experience. In the end it was not that serious but I learned a lot and am now able to advise my parents before their problem gets worse.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 11:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you have a look here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

I will try and get some time to update the document again next week to explain a deep clean to remove the allergens is all that is needed.

You should not need to use chemicals with carpet beetles and that physical removal is the most effective thing you can do.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 8 2011 14:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a quick bump because I have just re-edited the file and put more information on CB's in the PDF and its now online.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,715 posts in 31,254 topics over 95 months by 13,520 of 17,233 members. Latest: Fozsbear, NotInfested, slee