Advice from Yahoo Finance is a bit questionable

(7 posts)
  1. Chicago Way

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 11:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Not Sure if anyone has seen21 Things You should Never Buy New, or what opinions on the advice given. I worry mostly about items 2, 4, 6, & 8.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 11:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Clothing could potentially be run through a washer/hot dryer (and you'd probably wash used clothing anyway) or Packtite.
    Toys and books could probably go through a Packtite.
    So, of the items you mention, it's really the used furniture I'm most worried about.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Mr.Steam Cleaner

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 15:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's funny how they specifically mentioned Ikea. Their stuff IS cheap...but their store is awesome (and their furniture is begbug free I imagine).

4. Chicago Way

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 0:58:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Clothing could potentially be run through a washer/hot dryer (and you'd probably wash used clothing anyway) or Packtite.
    Toys and books could probably go through a Packtite.

Well...The article seems to suggest the reason for the list is to save money. While I can afford a Packtite and have one I know many who can not. I just think that much of the list when presented to the general public without warning and who do not know better is just asking for trouble.

5. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 1:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

couldn't help myself and had to weigh in. used furniture is risky, yes - but even new furniture can come with unwanted guests, yes even from beloved and popular stores like ikea.
    you'll just have to trust me on that one. . .
    i don't know that there is a solution for the furniture dilemma though -until a packtite is made large enough to treat a sofa, or we all invest in sauna rooms i think we'll all just have to take our chances whenever we buy furniture, new or used (used being riskier, for sure). that said, for non cloth furniture a vapor steamer might not be a bad idea in terms of giving even new pieces a once over once home. as for me? once bitten twice shy, as they say --next time i buy anything super risky (new mattress set or new sofa set) i'm actually going to hire a dog to inspect it before it comes into my home. yes, that seems extreme. but when you think about the cost of a new mattress set or new sofa set, and the fact you only buy them once a decade or so -adding on the cost of a dog is not that much more. and trust me, way WAY less expensive than battling them in your home for MONTHS after they come in on the furniture.
    but for the less phobic than i, maybe a human sniff test in addition to a visual check could suffice to ward off at least extremely infested upholstered furniture ? the sofa my bed bugs came in on (for the record, a sofa purchased brand spanking new) did smell REALLY weird. i assumed at the time that it was a very strange upholstery off gassing (though only one of the two new sofas smelled that way-the evil sleeper sofa from whence the beasts came) -but for the record, it smelled like nothing i'd ever smelled before or since -kind of sweet-rotten juicy fruit gum plus chalky-mustiness combined. could it be the smell of bugs? i dunno -but i know if i ever smell it again, i'm staying far far FAR away.

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 5:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

will file this description away.

"sweet-rotten juicy fruit gum plus chalky-mustiness combined"

Thanks.

7. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 10:54:30
    #

Login to Send PM

OK wchicago -fess-up - where did you get your stinky, buggy sofa?

I need a new one and was considering Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel as they have their own trucks and do not haul away old furniture. We have a tenant who got her bbs from a bedroom set from Macy's

Also - any idea how much it costs to have the dog just sniff a sofa?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07