Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Adventures with Bed Bugs! I Hope this Makes You Laugh!

(16 posts)
  1. elchinche

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Apr 28 2010 11:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Folks,

One day in a fit of despair, I sat down and wrote the following (hopefully funny) essay loosely based on my adventures in the world of fighting bed bugs in NYC. Just for the hell of it, I submitted it to The New Yorker "Shouts & Murmurs" sections. The editors said they liked it but it wasn't for them. Then I realized that the perfect audience of people who could really use a laugh about this are right here on the bedbugger forums. So I hope you enjoy!

¡LOS CHINCHES ESTAN DE VUELTA!

You hear rumors--stories that involve someone’s friend or co-worker-- but rarely does anyone have the courage to stand up and say, “I am dealing with this. This is my story too.” Well, I for one will no longer live in shame. New York City, I am here to tell you that I am one of those mythical people discussed with pity at every cocktail party you’ve been to for the last year. That’s right, I have bed bugs.

I’m not anyone special. I’m just your regular, run-of-the-mill (but less much successful) Liz Lemon type. There is no reason to fear me, avoid me or refuse to shake my hand-- except that I may inadvertently introduce blood-sucking super bugs that are almost impossible to get rid of into your life. And while bed bugs don’t normally travel on a person's, uh…person, there is always a chance that despite all of my precautions one might have wandered into my bag or between the pages of that copy of Eat, Pray, Love that I’ve been carrying around for 6 months, but haven’t yet started to read.

If you think you can avoid me, think again. I’m active in several neighborhood organizations. We may be members of the same community garden, if yours is the one where every single member hates every other member so much that it is only a matter of time before someone gets attacked with a rake.

We might be members of the same CSA. I’m the person who always puts her fennel back in the swap box. Wait, you’re right; everyone puts their fennel back into the swap box. I’m the person who accidentally filled out her order form wrong and ended up with 50 pounds of dried beans.

You won’t just see me around my neighborhood either; I’m all over the city. That’s me crammed backside to backside with you on the train. It’s so depressing to look up and see those ads for mattress encasements. You know the ones with the giant disgusting picture of a bedbug that say, “Bed Bugs are Back!” It’s a bummer that there are so many of those ads, but none of them are in Spanish. I rely on the Spanish ads in the train to help me prepare when I haven’t done my homework as I rush downtown on Monday nights for my continuing education language class. The good news is that I’ve learned to translate: “¡Los Chinches están de vuelta!”

I could easily spread this pest to the entire city by six degrees of separation simply by starting at my job. My office is in a fairly well known midtown Off-Broadway theater venue next to a methadone clinic. We get quite the cross-section of New Yorkers. I once saw Matthew Broderick get attacked by a homeless woman with a ukulele.

The most frustrating thing about bed bugs is that they can be really hard to detect because they are notoriously secretive. They are able to hide in tiny crevices and only come out at night. Knowing that the bed bugs are waiting until you go to sleep to crawl on your body and suck your blood can make you start to get a little crazy. Sure the city never sleeps, but people ought to get at least a few hours of rest a night. If you don’t and instead do something like say, wear socks over your hands as well as your feet and then tape your pajamas up at the ankles and wrists and then lay in bed pretending that you are falling asleep but instead jump out of bed every 15 minutes and shine a high powered flashlight around your bedroom…well, from experience, I can tell you that after about a month of doing this, there is a good chance that you will begin to have sporadic hallucinations.

I have started to see bed bugs everywhere I go. I won’t even stand next to the benches in the subway system. I refuse to sit when I visit people’s homes. Don’t even get me started on movie theaters and museum coat checks.

Just the other day on my way to work, I’m pretty sure I saw a bed bug jump from my bag and grab the lowest rung of the New York Times building and quickly climb to the top where it unfurled a green pro-global warming banner. Sure, it was a small banner, almost impossible to see with the naked eye, but luckily I had my binoculars after being instructed by my armoire the night before that I should carry them with me in the morning.

I have a working theory that bed bugs have evolved and no longer travel through space and time as physical beings. I believe they now have the ability to travel through the Internet. They’re all over the blogosphere. Just the other day I was reading on Jezebel about how the wage gap has barely budged in years (wtf, America?) when I saw a bed bug crawl across a snap judgment photo of Michelle Obama. And what I’ve heard about the situation on the parenting message boards will shock you. Even in Park Slope! Ironically, the safest place on the Internet is the forums section over at bedbugger.com because they require that all of the posts and even the comments be individually encased in plastic.

Bed bugs may soon (perhaps already!) be able to travel simply as an idea. In fact, you may want to stop reading right now, drop this magazine and set it on fire. Oh no, I forgot that last night at 3 a.m., I read that fire only makes them stronger!

Yesterday, I admit, I let my defenses down and fell asleep in the middle of the day. In my dream, I had to battle a giant but invisible bed bug. I was about to hit it with my bedside lamp, when the armoire yelled for me to wake up. As I lay there in a cold sweat, I vowed that this would not get the best of me. I will get through this with good old-fashioned can-do spirit, optimism and a willingness to do whatever crazy thing it takes. I will sew tiny outfits so that when I do catch the bed bugs, I can dress them up and post their photo on cuteoverload.com (look at the nymph in the baby outfit!). I will encase all of my possessions in hermetically sealed plastic bags; I will spray poison directly onto my person. I will put kerosene on the bed frame. I am a New Yorker dammit! I have to do this for my family back home who think that I am living a life full of glamour and sophistication and for all of the people in the city, suffering in silence and shame, I have to do this for the armoire! ¡Muerte a los chinches!

Post Script: After a lot of soul-searching, the author has moved all of her possessions into a storage unit in New Jersey for an indefinite period of time. She is now living and working on self-sufficient kale farm in upstate New York, and through therapy and enrollment in an experimental PTSD program, she is reclaiming her sanity (although she still misses her armoire).

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Apr 28 2010 12:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hilarious and I am sure many can relate.

I sent you a private message.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed buggy hell

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Apr 28 2010 14:45:58
    #

Login to Send PM

i feel you on the, "i see bed bugs everywhere" love it...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Apr 28 2010 21:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

elchinche,

With your permission, it's now on the front page of bedbugger.com.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Apr 29 2010 7:05:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Ci Lecto likes this.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Apr 29 2010 8:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

If you don’t and instead do something like say, wear socks over your hands as well as your feet and then tape your pajamas up at the ankles and wrists and then lay in bed pretending that you are falling asleep but instead jump out of bed every 15 minutes and shine a high powered flashlight around your bedroom…well, from experience, I can tell you that after about a month of doing this, there is a good chance that you will begin to have sporadic hallucinations.

This is me! I was doing EXACTLY THAT for an entire month and a half and didn't find anything, didn't stop the bites, and just drove me crazy! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

7. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Apr 29 2010 18:09:06
    #

Login to Send PM

HAHAHAA!!! Oh, that was great. Even if the magazine didn't want to publish it, I'm so glad that you shared it with the rest of us. Thanks for that.

And I realized something while reading it...a couple months ago I would have read this and thought you were at least slightly insane, suffering from paranoid delusions, and one of the crazy people (you know, the kind that attacks celebrities with ukuleles :P) that I used to imagine filled New York City. Now I empathize with you one hundred percent. I think the only thing that will make my mental image of you dealing with these little buggies even better is if I turn you into Howard Hughes, complete with tissue boxes for shoes.

8. elchinche

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Apr 29 2010 20:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, yes tissue boxes for shoes, why didn't I think of it before?!

9. Sylvie

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 1:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ironically, the safest place on the Internet is the forums section over at bedbugger.com because they require that all of the posts and even the comments be individually encased in plastic.

lol, this IS the only safe place, isn't it?
    /end plastic

10. Whisper

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 19:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I just completely buckled over laughing!! Oh my gosh, and it feels so good. Because after awhile in, I started to nod emphatically while I was laughing. You know, the "I know what you mean!!" nod. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can laugh at the situation. It's not so funny when you wake up at 5 AM slapping at your face and whimpering, and eventually opting to stick your head into your pillow case, but around 11 AM you can start giggling into your Wheaties at the memory.

You write so well! Do something with this talent! They should have published it! I bet more confessions would have come out of woodwork of New York, like bed bugs do! Thank you, thank you for making me laugh!

11. FMupsidedownL

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 22:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Well done

12. janebug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue May 25 2010 6:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Great read! I think I heard my Cheerios chuckling as I scratched a spot on my wrist that somehow was not wrapped tightly. 'Scuse me, gotta get this turtle-neck off, it is irritating that line of little exploratory bites under my chin. Can I also add I could not stand the thought of wearing socks to bed on a day where it was 88 degrees and my apartment was 68?
    All the best,
    janebug

13. Italy0219

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 29 2010 13:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG that was so funny, I just started dealing with the little vampires. I love the part where you are going to dress them...lmao...itch, scratch....

14. ap11385

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 29 2010 13:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I love the armoire part.

15. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 14 2012 10:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this isn't exactly fresh, but I'm bumping it up for anyone who could use a bit of levity in the midst of the chaos. Enjoy!

p.s. After reading the OP, I now have visions of the little guys scooting around the house, fully garbed in steampunk (No idea why steampunk vs fancy dress or resort wear, but there you have it. I may need more sleep.)

16. bb_overkill_girl

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 14 2012 16:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

elchinche - 2 years ago  » 
    Oh no, I forgot that last night at 3 a.m., I read that fire only makes them stronger!

OMG - amazing. Awesome essay, totally captures the mindset. You are brilliant and hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,736 posts in 48,882 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,862 members. Latest: nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver, get_out