Absolutely amazed at the efficacy of my duct tape barrier

(16 posts)
  1. ombrophile

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 20:22:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a very heavy infestation. Fortunately for me I'm a heavy sleeper that has virtually no reaction to being bitten; unfortunately for my apartment this has led me to be pretty slack on controlling the bugs. Also I have cats, so no poisons for me.

I want to tell (everyone) about my Duct Tape Barrier. It is simplicity itself, a strip of duct tape applied around the circumference of my box spring (which is itself enclosed in a bed bug cover. The 'centerline' of the tape is pressed as firmly as possible to the cover, while i peeled back the outer edges of the tape as much as possible, so that there's basically two sticky 'walls' facing in either direction (up and down).

When I first applied this, I had some serious doubts about how well it would work. Because the cover fits somewhat loosely I had difficulty fitting the tape securely across some of the unavoidable folds and wrinkles, especially around the corners. I figured they would just find these little gaps and avoid the sticky part of the tape. But I did my best, using the butt of a butter knife to press the 'centerline' of the tape in securely, and the tip to help fold out the edges.

Early on, though, I could see that the tape was in fact effective. There were tons of dead bed bugs in the crevices that I could see, all sizes, stuck to the tape. I removed the tape today after a month, and was just astonished at what was under there. Thousands and Thousands of dead bugs. It is really hard to describe the sheer mass of dead insect we are talking about here. More bugs than I'd ever seen before by a factor of hundreds. Removing the tape was a pretty disgusting job, leaving me with a 24' coil of dead bugs and tape. On the other hand, it was exhilirating to see just how many I'd killed with so little effort and expense.

There are gaps, and some will get through. But they're not as smart as I'd feared. Seems that the crevice of duct tape is just too inviting for them to pass up, and they're totally oblivious to the danger. I honestly believe that I killed 95% or more of the bugs that tried to get onto or off of my bed, all with about 30 minutes of work and a couple dollars invested. Please try it yourself and spread the word if it works as well for you. Best of luck!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 20:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have photos you can post for us to see?

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  3. jean127

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 21:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds good. Have been wondering how to use interceptors on waterbed feet. There are 9 total, and the bed sets on laminate flooring. If I use DE it will be easily removed when I clean. I'm concerned the plastic interceptors will break or tear given the weight of the bed. Wrapping duct tape, or better yet...gorilla tape, around the legs may be an easy answer. Also have a bed with risers.....the duct tape would work well for that too. I hope there is truth in its being a great trap for the nasties.

4. thecitymusthelp

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 21:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could wrap my entire body in duct tape right now

5. jean127

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 22:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Had another thought......provided the duct tape will work as a trap. For upholstered furniture why not double over strips of duct tape on the underside of the chair/sofa? This way the legs would not look unsightly. I would make sure the tape surrounds the leg where it meets the fabric underneath. This would work for furniture that does not touch the floor all the way around. It would address crawling up from the floor, but wouldn't address any bugs being deposited from clothing on those sitting on the furniture. Hmmmmmm

6. blargg

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 23:00:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thousands? Wow... At that point, I probably could have set a napkin on the bed, watched it fill up with bedbugs because they had nowhere else to go, and called it a 'success.'

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 23:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd love to see photos of this too -- the tape with caught samples.

We have heard reports of bed bugs approaching sticky tape and then walking the other way. If it works, it may simply be deterring a lot
    of them and spreading them elsewhere.,

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 6:59:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, various sticky barriers work better than others. Folded cloth works well (not sticky, but a series of crevices) to produce harborage areas and acts as a monitor. Non-sleeping areas and clutter in a home become infested at least in relatively heavily infested homes; small populations tend to remain around a potential host. Powder-type insecticides such as DE work better than liquid as far as efficacy over a longer period of time and is a product that physically assaults the insects rather than trying a chemical pathway. There has to be relatively inexpensive procedures and easily applied materials in order for the general public to be able to deal with bed bug infestations. There are still many people whose landlords don't assist properly or those who don't have money to spend on pest control professionals and need to do something on their own. Spending money on certain products that aren't efficacious but will kill on contact will not in the long run control the population of bed bugs in the home. In multi-family housing, treating one apartment and not seeing how extensive the infestation in the building is will also lead to failure.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 8:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree Lou, the public needs a cost effective option !

pb

10. peaches2dope

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 12:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

can u please post pics of this?

11. sese

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 12:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have personally tried duct tape(2 types) and izolating tape ... I caught a bedbug and I tested to see wether it goes over the tapes ... and yes ... the bedbug just walks freely on the tape ... one needs like a very excess sticky fly trap on the floor to get te bedbugs trapped ... but I have yet to try this

But what I did try was this, I took some syrup http://www.ciao.se/Dansukker_Ljus_Sirap__Recension_95418 and I applied it on the ductape making a circle of it and puting the bug inside the circle, when the bug wanted to get out of the circle and it touched the syrup it backed off immediately, it's like they don't like to feel their front legs getting dipped in substances and they backoff.

So I surrounded my mattres with ducttape + syrup on it and I got no more bites, even though no bedbugs were trapped, at least I am bite safe ... [admin: facebook link removed]
    It is an inconvenience still but the best I could come up with so far ...

12. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 13:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

sese - you provided a link that goes back to your personal FB page. For many privacy concern reasons this is not a good idea. I have flagged your post for moderation in hopes that it may be removed. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just looking out for your privacy.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 13:24:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, but the Facebook link was removed. You can post a photo via flickr or another sharing site but please use an anonymous account. Instructions.

I don't like getting harried emails from people a year later telling me to delete their posts because they can't get dates (or apartments or jobs) because Googling their name/email/etc. calls up a bed bug website.

(Seriously, you'd think people would want to date or hire people who are bed bug-aware, not to mention those with the smarts to use our site instead of getting their bed bug info. from the other guys, but apparently the whole "bed bugs" thing is a don't ask, don't tell with most folks, sadly.)

Please read the forum rules and Terms of Use linked from this post (or the sidebar) which explain further. Thanks!

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 13:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sese,

I applied it on the ductape making a circle of it and puting the bug inside the circle, when the bug wanted to get out of the circle and it touched the syrup it backed off immediately, it's like they don't like to feel their front legs getting dipped in substances and they backoff.

Unfortunately, this "backing off" means bed bugs are now locating themselves elsewhere in your home. They are surely biting elsewhere too. They can bite you as you sit in a chair. And causing them to spread around the home makes them harder to get rid of and can make that process longer.

(There would be other pest issues associated with sleeping surrounded in sweet syrup, but I am focusing on the bed bug issues here.)

Pitfall/interceptor traps with talc inside are preferable to your sticky plans (assuming your bed has legs) because they have been shown to stop the bed bugs and trap them, rather than deterring them. I think you're in Sweden? There should be some kind of pitfall/interceptor trap available there. (There are descriptions of some brands in our page on the pros and cons of bed isolation, but others are out there also.)

A different approach which many here use is the BBAlert passive which doesn't trap them but provides a harborage, so they're in one place. (It also would work in the absence of bed legs.) In your case, avoiding bites seems like a priority so that's why I would recommend the pitfall/interceptor option.

15. sese

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 13:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I isolated myself up to the neck, and I think I can sense them crawling on my neck or my hands if they get there, if they are that courageous ... to climb on me while on my chair while I am on my laptop ...
    I don't really care if they spread ... it is not my apartment(rental room) ... and I am thinking of moving, but until then I do not want any more bites!

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 14:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sese,

Most people don't feel bed bugs crawling on them or biting them when it is happening. They're designed that way. (A few have reported this in the six years the site has been running.)

They don't need to be courageous, they can just bite a sitting person and walk away unscathed.

I understand the desire to not be bitten, but unfortunately, isolating a bed won't prevent it.

However, as I said, if you must prevent bites, a pitfall/interceptor trap on each bed leg would do it. They're very inexpensive and I am sure they're available where you are.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.