(4 posts)
  1. SumGirl

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 2:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Thanks for all your helpful discussions so far.

I'm writing you because I need input- lots of it.

I came off of the plane from living in NYC and moved into a terrible demolition house a friend had set up a room for me in. It was god-awful, but I'm unemployed and was struggling so I thought I'd give it a try. I barely stayed there opting to be at my mum's instead, and then one time I went back I discovered a bed bug on my bed within 15 minutes of sitting down in the mid-afternoon sun.

I freaked out. The landlord refused to pay. I got an inspector that my friend had recommended who came and confirmed that it was a bed bug. He said that there were no signs on my furniture, and that markings found behind a baseboard may have been new or old. I had painted the room, which made it harder for him to detective. I had to pay the cost myself. Since then, my roommate stayed in the apartment, and put those dish things under the bed legs but hasn't seen a thing- that was almost a month ago.

I have processed all my clothing- at minimum putting it in the dryer for 30 minutes. I have checked my shoes, and moved most of this stuff to my mum's place. Her house is located far from Vancouver, so I have had to stay with friends in the city when I have interviews or fire dance rehearsals.

The other night, I was sleeping at a friend's place in a tent in the living room her kid had set up for me (he's 3, and had been playing in it). I came from fire dance rehearsal. I put down my bag near to the tent and went inside with some clothing. I was bitten multiple times during the night. In the morning I saw a bed bug near the crease of the tent. I showed my friend. She said she hadn't seen anything else like that. I'm scared that I put down my jacket on the pile of stuff with my friends at the fire dance rehearsal and it caught bed bugs- or that I brought it from home.

Now I'm struggling- I need to move out of my mum's house but am going to have to replace all this furniture I was recently gifted. But there is one of item- an antique dresser with detachable mirror panel- that I really don't want to get rid of. There are two suitcases. I'm thinking of paying someone to just 'spot clean' these two items. I also have metal flow arts props, which the inspector has assured me won't likely contain bugs.

I'm overwhelmed. And I'm paranoid that somehow I've brought bed bugs to my mum's place. I honestly don't know if I can handle this situation. And I'm super broke.

All advice is appreciated- did I take the bed bug to my friend's place? Is it dangerous for me to bring stuff from my house to my mum's house?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 18:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

How long ago since the inspector inspected the freshly painted room? It’d bed bugs arenpresent, they will be defecating and those signs will be visible. Depending how long it’s been, you might consider another inspection.

If you do have them in the room, you may move them to your mum’s. There are ways to make your belongings are bed bug free. You can read about them in the Useful tools for fighting bed bugs and Bed bug FAQs (getting them out of your stuff).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. SumGirl

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 19:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. My roommate is still living there, and hasn't found anything in his 'bug dishes' under the bed legs. I'll have another look when I go to pick the rest of my stuff up.

Do you think it's possible I could have brought a full grown male bed bug to my friend's place after 2 weeks of not being bitten at my place? I had already sent my backpack through the hot dryer for 30 minutes. Just did another 90 minutes today.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 5:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Note that interceptor traps (the "dishes" things) are not going to catch every single bug. They may catch some but not every bug will end up in them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd