Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

A new gadget that kills bugs: Purelight UV-Light Wand

(18 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 13 2009 13:40:32
    #

Login to Send PM

This gadget looks too good to be true, and I actually do wonder if it's actually as effective as it says. But let's just look at it and give it the benefit of the doubt:

The Purelight UV-Light Wand sets the new industry standard in convenient portable UV-C sterilization - guaranteeing a 99.9% kill rate of bacteria & viruses, plus it will eradicate dust mites & bed bugs. [b]

That's all it said on the web site. Logically, this would have to be shined right on a bug to do any good. (it's not going to penetrate the cracks in the walls). I don't know if it kills eggs or just hatched bugs. These are the uses I can think of for it:

1) use it instead of rubbing alcohol on a lot of things
    2) wave it around inside your big bag once in a while in case you missed something
    3) open up your electronics with a screwdriver and wave the light over the inside

Any thoughts?

2. bbitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 13 2009 14:24:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if this is like the vacuum cleaners they have been advertising on TV recently that has a UV light that is supposed to kill germs and if so, would the vacuum also kill bedbugs? I'm pretty skeptical about light's germ-killing power, much less bugs.

3. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 13 2009 18:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone else have visions of Star Wars?
    Sounds interesting but Mangy, if it acts like alcohol in that you actually have to hit the bug, not so fabulous afterall, although I suppose there are no fumes which would be a plus.

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 13 2009 18:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Just saw their ads...I think they've got bed bugs and dust mites mixed up. It claims it changes DNA! If it's going to change a bug's DNA what about the person using this gadget? A person would need major protective gear while using it, if that were true. Why just bed bugs and not any other bugs? KWIM? Sadly, I think it's too good to be true, since all those other germs etc it's supposed to kill, we can't actually see, so you wouldn't know if it was working or not. I'd love someone to shine it on a bed bug and see what happens.

5. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 14 2009 9:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I will never say that something isn't going to work without using it myself first, but if there ever was a time that I almost would, this is it. Be EXTROADINARILY leary of this product. All it's really worth for me is a chuckle.

6. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 14 2009 10:27:23
    #

Login to Send PM

ALAAA KAZAM!! Like magic...Bed bugs Gone! (LOL!)

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 14 2009 15:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

UV light is a great sterilizer on a microbiological level.

I can't possibly think that UV at levels sufficient to harm a BB, a dubious thought, is anywhere near safe for an applicator. Kill your bugs but get a gnarly "sunburn"

If it had any chance of success against bugs I would surmise the translucent first instars would be most vunerable.

ALAA KAZAMM indeed.

8. BugBoy911

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 14 2009 15:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I"m not even giving them a chance to look at their SCAM!!!! ITS BULLCRAP OF THE SMELLIEST KIND!!!! My professional opionion of this scam is just that.... A SCAM!!!!

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 14 2009 21:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

99.9% kill rate of bacteria & viruses

So, it will leave behind 1/10% of your bacteria. With a million bacteria thats...1000. How many bacteria are there in a typical household environment?

it will eradicate dust mites & bed bugs
    Like those magic pills, that (said quickly and softly combined with diet and exercise) will make you lose weight. I guess you can whack the bugs with the wand.

10. fastandbulbous

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 0:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought it to eliminate MRSA (lucky me) and have used it on bedding (had BB's last year, have had some questionable bites as of late, so I thought "why not?"). Quite frankly, I think, if it could blind me, couldnt it kill an instar, or at least damage an egg? My DNA is so whacked out from stress at this point, who cares...the wand has a lovely blue light, and I think it's the bees knees.

11. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 0:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You would be better off with a light saber luke, and a dash of the "force".

12. hoo2677

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 1:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

What's tragic is how desperate one becomes that you want to believe. It should be criminal to advertise a product that kills bb, but doesn't really. I've been feeding mine snake oil, and bathing in it. (not really).

But if i thought it would work......

: )

Portland OR

13. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 3:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I seriously doubt it will work... insects are generally resistant to UV, due to the chemical structure of their esoskeleton.

14. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 20:01:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Sadly its another example of someone trying to market a product as suitable for bed bugs without anything to back it up scientifically (I am sure we have been down that road a few times) just to get a larger target audience.

Its something that anyone around for a while will recognise as a semi regular feature on the forum. I will say however that I thought I had seen the last of the UV idea having been asked to comment on an odd design that isolated the bed using a series of mini vacuum tubes and killed the bed bugs with a plug in UV ray. I refused to comment on the main part of the device and left them with the comment why would you make a UV ray killing station when you could simply flush them down the toilet.

I think the best prize for a market shift has to go to the system that was developed to treat cockroach infestations in places where food was stored or prepared. It was non chemical and replied upon vapid cooling using a special jet of liquid carbon dioxide. After it failed at that someone managed to convince some investment bankers to give them lots and lots of money to relaunch it for bed bugs.

David

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 1:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm....

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. bhfine

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 19:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

UV-C light does not kill bedbugs.
    It does however kill dust mite's. Often dust mite's and bedbugs are confused because they both inhabit your bed or upholstery. You cannot completely eliminate your dust mite infestation but you can get it to a controllable level. After you kill most of the dust mites you have to thoroughly vacuum to remove their waste particles which is the allergen that causes the problems.

As for the 99.9% kill rate that simply posted as liability. You could not say 100% because you would have a lawsuit to fight. In a controlled environment if you exposed a petri dish of bacteria to UV-C light you would have a 100% kill. But in a home situation where every environment is different it would be impossible to claim 100%. Germs and bacteria can survive the light in the shadows of dust particles.
    UV-C light makes an excellent surface sterilizer killing germs and bacteria without the use of chemicals. On the items like your computer keyboard, your television remote control, your cell phone etc. where you cannot spray chemicals for disinfecting, UV-C light is an excellent tool. Germs and bacteria cannot build up a resistance to UV-C irradiation. The light breaks the DNA bonds effectively killing the germ by keeping it from reproducing.

Last year my wife contracted the H1N1 virus and I used the UV-C light around our house on all touchable surfaces. Doorknobs, telephones, keyboards, mouse, faucets etc. and no one else in our family got sick. You can even use it to shine in your refrigerator to kill the germs on the shelves and food/drink packaging without harming the food. This is because plastic and glass block UV light. It's not a one time process because surfaces continually get reinfected.

UV-C light is commonly used in air and water purification systems with great success. Hospitals are starting to use UV-C light because of superbugs which are becoming resistant to chemical disinfectants.

UV-C (short-wave ultraviolet light) is not new, it has been around since the 1950s. Because it is dangerous it's not widely used. If you look at the burning light with unprotected eyes it can permanently damage your eyes, like looking at an arc welder. Prolonged exposure to your skin can cause burning and eventually melanoma. UV safety glasses which block 99.9% UV must be warned when using this light. Ordinary clothing would protect your skin the same as it would protect you from a sunburn.

17. Johnp

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Sep 13 2013 15:18:02
    #

Login to Send PM

We had bed bugs AND a round of fleas and the UV light was actually the ONLY thing that got rid of them. We got the Verilux one that has a hand vacuum attached. We combined that with using a UV light wand for cracks, corners and things like electrical outlets where they can hide. We used the small handheld vacuum on couches, the mattresses, even the rugs -- running it slowly across each, about 15 seconds per section. It's super tedios, but it works. The UV light damages their eggs, thereby preventing any new creatures from hatching. We tried EVERYTHING before this and nothing worked, so I don't care what anyone says -- it does work. Twice a year we run it over the mattresses and couches just to zap everything. We also use the wand on any suitcases that come into the house after a journey as we don't want any hitchhikers putting our family through this whole crazy bed bug thing again.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Sep 14 2013 2:25:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Johnp,

Can I ask you to confirm you have no association or connection with the product you have given a rave review because there are some strong indications that you post may not be accurate.

You are the only person outside of the marketing team that has said anything good about these type of products for bedbugs in over 8 years.

May I also respectfully suggest that if you tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked then you did not try DE or steam or heat because they work all the time when done correctly.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,360 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter