70% rubbing alcohol(9 posts)
Sorry if this is a duplicated thread.
I looked for rubbing alcohol and I could only find 70% rubbing alcohol. (Isopropyl)
Is it strong enough to be a contact BB killer? I'm also concerned that it might damage the hardwood floor. Would it?
Thanks in advance.
I think it has to be at least 90% for it to be a contact killer. I have seen bottles that say 91%, have you tried walgreens, cvs or duane reade? I don't think it damages a hard wood floor but you might want to spray a little in a corner and see if it leaves a mark?
another poster here has found 99% alcohol in a spray bottle at walmart. i believe it was found in the pharmacy section. i also had to look and look for this stuff. keep it up, it's out there, but not in plentiful supply.
Denatured Alcohol is 100% alcohol and is sold by the gallon/quart in paint/home centers. I have not tested it on bb's, but I am sure it will work just as fine as 91%. Denatured alcohol is basically pure alcohol (like the kind you drink ;-)) that has ingredients added to make it poisonous to drink. This is strong stuff, so use at your own risk. If any of the experts have experience with this please post. Also, alcohol is a shellac solvent, so be careful if you spray in on shellac finishes unless you want to strip them.
As you said denatured alcohol contains stuff that poisons it.
91% isopropyl works and the other 9% is water or oil. Easily found at Wal Mart in SoCal.
Jim - I agree with you, but I think isopropyl contains poisons as well. I am not sure if one is more dangerous than the other.
On a side note: These all contain poisons so that they can not be consumed, otherwise they would have to be taxed as liquor.
Thanks. I can't find it where I live (in Asia) so I'm going to look for it in Cali when I'm there next month. This might sound like a stupid question but it's not something I can't bring on the plane, is it?
I'll be staying in multiple hotels and I don't think I will be able to sleep care-free like in my pre-BB life.
Can you fine grain alcohol in Asia? Will work exactly the same, and you can give yourself a shot for each shot you give a bb ;-).
You must log in to post.