Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

70 bedbug bites in 2 days. i am going crazy! i need help!

(12 posts)
  1. melis

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 0:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

i am a foreign student in my first semester in new york. i just moved from my first apartment in brooklyn to a room (railroad) on the upper east side i been here for a month. 2 weeks ago i got three bites on my knee and three on my left wrist. they were small and went away after a few days, although i scratched them a lot, you can see the scabs still.

anyway, i thought maybe it was a flea, i cleaned the sheets and my clothes, and i was okay for a while. until two days ago. i slept at my boyfriends place, the next day i got home and i sat down on my bed. after 10 minutes i felt something on my wrist, and then on my back, all of a sudden a bunch of bites appeared. they got really big, round/oval and red. they itched like crazy. i took the sheets off, put them in the washer, took a shower, put clothes in dryer, put new clothes on and left to see my boyfriend. i slept at his place again. i was unsure if my bites came from his place or my place, since i had bites two weeks ago, which appeared one morning when i woke up in my own bed.

the next morning i woke up with more bites on my hands and feet. i went to the emergency room and waited hours and hours, til a nurse practitioner (!) saw me, was very unfriendly and told me i shouldnt worry, those are bed bugs, i need to go home, clean my shit, and take allergy pills and cream which she subscribed. i went home. i was really anxious and didnt like the way they treated me.

so the same evening (yesterday) i went to a dermatologist, who sat down with me and asked a lot of questions. he said my bites look like hives, but he is 3/4 sure that i have bed bugs.

my mom (who is far away, and is just guessing too) thinks its fleas.

the dermatologist said its definitely not scabies.

i woke up this morning with more bites, although i put a cover on my matress and washed all my clothes and sheets and dryed them too!

today some bites developed in my face.

the dermatologist gave me cream too, and different pills which i am taking.

the marks on my left wrist, that came the first day two days ago, are slowly getting smaller today and fade away. although i have a huge colony of bites on my right thigh, 21 counted.

overall i have like 70 on my whole body.

also in my face and neck. i am very anxious, paranoid and scared.

i dont have enough money too move, neither have i money for an exterminator.

i might be able to move into a different apartment somewhere for cheap, but it would only be temporary and i will have to probably leave stuff behind, which i dont want to.

i am so scared of the future and i look ugly and i didnt go to school the past two days, even though my course just started. i am scared i will get more bites ever morning and will not be able to get rid of the bugs, and if i move that they follow me.

i am ashamed to talk to any of my friends, they already ask whats going on, why i dont wanna hang out. i told them i have a bad fever.

i am so scared. can someone please help me? somehow?

m.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 1:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are a tenant in NYC, then your landlord is responsible for paying for treatment. You need to tell them.

Then they will have to get a pest pro in to confirm this is a bed bug problem and treat.

I would let them do that. If they have any trouble finding bed bugs, you might employ monitors and/or consider hiring someone to inspect carefully (everyone doesn't take a lot of time, so you want to choose the right person).

But that's a few steps ahead of right now. Your landlord may call someone in who can confirm the problem so treatment can begin. And this may not be the building's first bed bug issue.

Try not to panic. Bed bugs can be treated. You did not do anything to cause this. It can get better, but you need experienced and knowledgeable help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. melis

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 10:45:58
    #

Login to Send PM

the problem is that i am just staying here temporarly and i am not the main tenant, so i cant just call the landlord, that is my roommates part. but he was really mean to me and said "i have no bed bugs, you brought them in" when in fact i found a dead bed bug in the corner of my bed frame, which appears to be older than a month (just guessing), and that is when i moved in, a month ago.

so i doubt he will do anything about it. i am so lost.
    who do i call first? whats my first step? i am clueless.

m.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 12:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It's very likely someone has bedbugs. Not everyone reacts though. You say you found one on your bedframe where you are staying temporarily? post a picture of it or take it somewhere to be identified.

Start taking precautions traveling between your place and your boyfriend's place. Educate yourself and inspect at both places. It can take up to 10 days for bites to show up, and, again, not everyone reacts.

Your roommate is the principal tenant? but being mean to you? Get out as soon as possible. Read FAQ's on how to decontaminate your stuff before leaving.

Find out your rights. Some educational institutions have legal clinics for their students. (Also medical clinics.) Just because you aren't the official tenant doesn't mean you can't call the landlord and tell them you suspect the unit has bedbugs. They won't be obligated to do anything about it for you because you aren't the tenant, but they still might actually want to know.

Tenants have an obligation to inform that landlord of issues in the units. (I am not a lawyer.) If there was a tap broken and water was gushing on the floor about to bring down the ceiling on the unit underneath, the landlord would want to know and probably wouldn't care who told them.

But, be careful and find out your rights.

Read the FAQS on how to isolate your bed.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 13:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

First things first. So the first step is you want to determine whether or not you have bed bugs or maybe something else. This is the most important thing to do, and unfortunately the step that many people seem to gloss over because these days bed bugs are on everyone's mind.

Bites are not definitive for bed bugs. There could be many causes including other insects or skin conditions.

The only sure way to know if you have bed bugs is to find the evidence they leave around -- either themselves, their cast skins or fecal stains. This is something you can determine yourself or get help from a professional. You can learn more about what to look for by reading the FAQ's.

If you have a dead or captured bug, by all means take a picture of it and post it on the forum. One of our experts will tell you very quickly if it's a bed bug or not. You can also purchase relatively inexpensive monitors to let you know.

If you want professional help, we have a very good PCO (pest control operator) who works in the NYC area who posts here under the name "KillerQueen". I don't know what he charges for an inspection, but at the end of the day finding out one way or another is certainly worth spending some money. Then, if it turns out you do have bed bugs, you have something concrete to bring to the attention of the person who is renting the apartment.

You will of course also have to work in concert with your boyfriend because if one of you has bed bugs there's a likelihood that you both do.

Good luck.

Richard

6. melis

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 14:33:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your Comments and advice.

Today I called the M&M Pest Control and brought them the bug to identify it (I dont have a camera to take photos).
    I am hundred percent sure it is a bed bug, I looked at so many photos on here that I am sure.
    I also found some fecal stains on the matress itself.

I also called 311 and reported this apartment as bed bug infested. I found a dead mouse behind my desk too, by the way (and I just moved in 5 weeks ago!).

I want to get out of here as soon as possible, but don't know how. I was refered to Bed Bug & Beyond to fumigate all my things (I really dont have that many) and store them in storage until I find a place to stay for longer. I would need to find a temporary place and live there without any of my things, which will be fumigated during that time.

Does that make sense? I feel like I just need to get out of here. I don't want to go over to my boyfriends place anymore. I don't really want to go anywhere. I hope to find a place to stay until my clothes and belongings are fully fumigated and I can bring them to a new place where I can move in and start being happy again.

Right now life is just hell.

Anyone anymore tipps?

7. melis

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 16:12:14
    #

Login to Send PM

On monday at 9 the movers are coming and they are bringing my stuff to a storage where bed bug and beyond will fumigate all my things on wednesday. this will take a few days and then they will put it into storage.
    i will have to find a new place but i dont know how fast i can find something.

i also dont know where to stay during those 24 hours or so that they gas my things, and also i dont know what to bring with me and what to not bring with me, and what to wear. i am so confused. i cant buy new clothes now, cause they will get infested once i touch them, right? i am so anxious. can someone give me tipps on how to proceed?

a

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 8 2011 19:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Mel, you seem to be in distress, that's understandable. You are a student, though. Even though you live off campus, there may be resources for you at your student life or counseling offices. You can't be the first student in your school who had to deal with this. Perhaps they have knowledgable people who can help guide you. Or shared tools (like a packtite or hot room). Or advice on a new place.

Before you do anything else, please check out this site's resources page and read two important documents:
    - The state of Michigan guide http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf
    - The Cornell guide http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/

You mentioned moving, storage and fumigation. What kind of fumigation are you doing? On this site, when we say "fumigation", we refer to Vikane gas, a somewhat expensive process, that (done right) will kill all the bugs and their eggs in one shot. Spraying an item is not fumigation and not (according to experts) a very reliable way to rid yourself of your problem. This is due to BB's tendency to hide deep in things, their growing resistance to current insecticides and that no chemical spray is 100% effective against eggs. And "foggers" or "bombs" (according to several leading entomologists) are one of the worst things you can do. This is because their mists do not fully penetrate the very tiny spaces where BB harbor, but can drive bugs into even less accessible places, making further treatment more difficult.

If you are moving and treating your stuff en route, take the same precautions with the clothes on your back that the FAQ gives for people with bed bugs who are going visiting places.

Please also bear in mind, if you're storing stuff, it must be sealed, or you risk picking up an infestation from the facility.

So, take a breath, do something nice for yourself and hit the books. Learn what you can do to relieve discomfort. How to inspect and actually find your BB and their signs (BB, eggs, shells, fecal marks. "Bites" don't tell you what you're reacting to, or if it's BB, where and when you're being bit.) What conservative steps you can take to reduce your immediate infestation. What you need to do to protect your visitors and the places you go (example: if your place has BB, running to your boyfriend for respite without taking precautions risks infesting his place.) How to treat (or get treated) effectively. Finally, how to move safely when the time comes.

I know that this can be overwhelming, so please pause, pace yourself and don't do this alone. Hang in there.

Ci

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. melis

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 8 2011 23:24:20
    #

Login to Send PM

i decided not to do the fumigation. but i need to move on monday anyway. i bought sealed boxes today and will wash all my clothes and bags tomorrow and put them into these boxes and store them away. monday i will move into a temporary place. i will make sure to shower and change into clean clothes before i go there. i am excited but also scared. finally leaving this awful place i am living at.
    my roommate is so mean to me, i cant take it anymore
    (he is in denial for sure about MANY things, also his mice and roaches!)

m

10. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 21:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there, you'll get through this!

11. Mawiwala

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 2:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Please look when the thread was last updated. Digging out old threads is bad for new threads in need of advice.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 3:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hang in there, you'll get through this!

Look at the posting date.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd