Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

50 days and counting - anxiety escalating

(15 posts)
  1. Bedbugmom41

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

We are now 50 days post 2nd treatment, 41 days post seeing dead bedbugs, 50 days post seeing live bedbugs and 68 days without bites.
    However my anxiety seems to be growing as the 60th day post treatment approaches. I feel I will be defenceless once the residual chemical will stop being effective. I know there has been no trace of bug or infestation in a long time but my brain is refusing to register the info.
    Any tips on dealing with anxiety so I can enjoy my (fingers crossed) bed bug free life again?

2. nomorebuggs

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you set up passive monitors? That helped me when I moved and was afraid I brought them.

No signs is good, since if they were still about, you would likely be seeing dead ones. As much as some may want a repellant, there isn't a reliable one... but that's good! It means, if the bbs want to feed, they *will* cross the poison to do so, unknowingly.

Basically, I think no bites = no bugs crossing poison = no bugs trying to feed. But monitoring is good to calm nerves.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. Bedbugmom41

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

ClimbUp interceptors were place after the 2nd treatment. Never saw anything in them.

4. nomorebuggs

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:24:11
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a good sign! On-bed monitors like the Packtite passive are useful too. Just different monitoring styles.

I recently had a panic relapse and invested in a Bed Bug Beacon. Had to sleep elsewhere (temporarilly, just a few nights, but not enough to encourage spreading) while the CO2 lure works, but it gave me great peace when it only caught a fruit fly in the trap. I am now a big fan of multi-prong monitoring.

5. Bedbugmom41

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I think passive monitors have become a staple on many shopping list for the rest of our lives.
    Regardless of the bedbugs being gone, I'm excited that I will be getting a PackTite for Christmas.
    How life has changed!

6. nomorebuggs

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 18:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I will never not have passives on my furniture! And I love my Packtite SC. I use it after traveling and it keeps me feeling secure.

7. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 19:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already except that I think you'll be ok post 60-days! The residual won't be 100% for 60 days then suddenly drop off to useless, so by this point, it's already weakening, and things are still going well!! Just continue with good practices (I think all of us will prob follow our 'new methods' of cleaning, searching, and laundry for ever!), and keep monitoring. And most of all, good luck!!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  8. Bedbugmom41

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 19:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already except that I think you'll be ok post 60-days! The residual won't be 100% for 60 days then suddenly drop off to useless, so by this point, it's already weakening, and things are still going well!! Just continue with good practices (I think all of us will prob follow our 'new methods' of cleaning, searching, and laundry for ever!), and keep monitoring. And most of all, good luck!!

Thank you!
    I'm a logical person. But somehow I have an image in my mind that on the 61st day, thousands of bugs will come crawling out of hiding 😅
    I know it's crazy but I can't help it.
    For sure preventive measures and monitoring will stick with me forever...

9. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 19:43:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 6 minutes ago  » 

psychologically_messed_up - 30 minutes ago  » 

Thank you!
    I'm a logical person. But somehow I have an image in my mind that on the 61st day, thousands of bugs will come crawling out of hiding 😅
    I know it's crazy but I can't help it.
    For sure preventive measures and monitoring will stick with me forever...

No worries… The only reason I'm able to think logically is because it's not me. If I was coming up on day 60 of a 60 day residual spray, I would be posting the exact same thing. I'm in the medical field, and when my children get a splinter, I don't know what to do for them. I'm too emotionally involved… And I would be the same way no matter what! That said, I'm super excited for you to be 2 months (give or take) beyond bite and bugs! I imagine that's a pretty incredible feeling!!

10. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Dec 3 2017 0:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

long story short, i am in am upper apartment unit. My neighbor below me got bed bugs and did not report them. They made their way to my apartment. I'm furious that they were not reported and that it got bad enough that they moved upstairs to me. Anyway, I'm 16 days post heat treatment and found another live bed bug on my kitchen doorway on 11/27... the exterminator came the next day and sprayed something called crossfire on the baseboards the exterminator put bated sensei volcanos or art the initial heat treatment, in each room and upon checking them on the 28th he found nothing...and climb ups on 4 of the 7 legs of my bed ( I have a Hollywood frame inside an antique wood bed...) i check the climb ups every night and there's nothing in them... well last night I go in my room and there's a small bed big on the door jamb... just wedged into the corner... I'm beginning to think the heat treatment didn't work that well and that the traps are useless as I am catching more bugs than they are! I'm so tired of living this way... sigh... I miss not having to worry about dragging bed bugs to work and my moms house or anywhere else I go... tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

11. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Dec 3 2017 18:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider this, that the lack of activity is because there are no more bedbugs. Certainly within that time frame if bed bugs were around the odds are there would have been some evidence or bites. Ergo
    anxiety should be reducing. Good luck.

12. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 18:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 2 months ago  » 
    ClimbUp interceptors were place after the 2nd treatment. Never saw anything in them.

I bought talcless interceptors but then I read BBs can climb them IF they are not kept free of dust.
    I am not very good at cleaning so I may just put Cimexa dust (or whatever I can buy in Canada) in them and let them feed on me.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  13. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 18:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 2 months ago  » 
    We are now 50 days post 2nd treatment

Congrats,
    I only made it 19 days post the 2nd treatment, I hope the 3rd treatment lasts longer.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 0:31:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 1 day ago  » 
    Consider this, that the lack of activity is because there are no more bedbugs. Certainly within that time frame if bed bugs were around the odds are there would have been some evidence or bites. Ergo
    anxiety should be reducing. Good luck.

Wise words.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  15. Bedbugmom41

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 9:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I am happy to say that you were right.
    I have been 4 months BB free.
    Anxiety is fluctuating, especially when I see brand new furniture by the dumpster of your apartment building phantom crawling roars its ugly head.
    I don't know what's worse, bedbugs or headbugs.... !

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,828 posts in 45,106 topics over 138 months by 19,807 of 20,546 members. Latest: DaveC, TravelerK, ihatemynewroommates