Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

5 phone quotes: my experience trying to find a PCO in Toronto

(4 posts)
  1. sandflea

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Oct 23 2017 12:38:24
    #

Login to Send PM

A few months ago I had a bed bug scare. Something was biting in the night, and since I have a bit of a horror phobia of bed bugs my mind went straight there despite having recently been in contact with an itchy cat. I searched around for well recommended PCOs in the GTA, but the number I found was overwhelming, and it was hard to determine who to call. I ended up calling a bunch of the companies that came up most often in my searches, and I thought other panicky, overwhelmed people in Toronto might find what I was told over the phone useful.

Things to know: I am not affiliated with any pest control companies in any way. I did NOT end up using any of these companies because it turned out not to be bed bugs, so I don't know how effective their treatments are, but they all have lots of good reviews on the internet. All the quotes are for a house. This is only what I was told over the phone and may not reflect their official policies. All the companies offered chemical treatments with steam and DE.

-Addison: Quote for their regular service was under $2000. Said they would do 1 treatment, with a 3 or 6 month guarantee, depending on if I chose their regular or their more expensive chemicals. The 3 month guarantee consisted of a possible 3 additional treatments. Told me other companies did 2 treatments 2 weeks apart because they used inferior chemicals. DID offer me a home inspection for $100 dollars, and said that on finding evidence of bugs they could start treatment right away because they’d bring all their equipment with them to the inspection.

-Advantage Pest Control: Quote was around $1000. Offered 2 treatments 2 weeks apart. No guarantee. Told me if there was any additional infestation it would be my fault, and that further treatments were $300 each. Told me they did NOT offer inspections before treatment.

-Orkin: Quote was around $1000. Offered 2 treatments 2 weeks apart plus a 3 month guarantee. DID offer a home inspection for $75 which would be deductible from the cost of the treatment. I got the impression they would either throw in or sell me an encasement.

-Pestend: Quote was under $1000. Offered 2 treatments 2 weeks apart, plus a 3 month guarantee. Told me they did NOT offer inspections, but did say I could email them pictures of my bites for identification.

-Pesticon: Offered both chemical and heat treatments. Chemical was around $1000 with a 6 month guarantee. 2 treatments 2 to 3 weeks apart. Told me they did NOT offer inspections, and if something was biting me at night it was definitely bed bugs.

It was fleas.

2. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Oct 23 2017 21:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

No inspections sounds sketchy.
    Reviews on the Internet are often fake.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  3. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 24 2017 19:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't walk, run from a PCO who suggests they can tell you if you have bed bugs based on pictures of your bites.

4. sandflea

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 27 2017 11:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I wasn't especially thrilled with those answers. I found the process very frustrating, especially since I was already stressed about being bitten. These forums were were pretty helpful in getting me to take a deep breath and step back and actually find out what the real problem was.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7