Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

48 hours after the bed bug infiltration. What should my next steps be?

(15 posts)
  1. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 8 2013 19:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

On Friday night I went to a local restaurant that is your typical tree huger place. No genetically modified food. Only local produce and sustainably caught fish. Very naturist people. I have no issue with that and their food was always delicious.

I sat down in a upholstered chair, one of those really big and deep ones you'd find at your grandparents place, and pulled out my iPhone to wait. After 30 seconds I noticed a bug on my bag. I stood up and moved to a big glass table to inspect it. I had never seen the bug before so I just flicked it off and sat down at the glass table and waited for my meal.

I woke up around 10am on Saturday morning and started to clean my condominium. Around 1pm I was cleaned the hardwood floor around my coffee table and entertainment setup and found this
    It looks exactly like the bug that I flicked off my bag at the restaurant.

Without thinking I grabbed a kleenex, squashed the bug (no blood came out by the way) and threw it down the building's garbage chute.

I've now entered full on panic mode. I've never seen a bed bug in person before but I have seen pictures and so I immediately go to Google. I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) so after five hours of reading I'm driving myself insane and am convinced that within a month I'm going to be covered in bites, all my furniture will be infested and I'll need to burn down my condo.

This morning I calmed down a bit and went into defensive mode and have taken the following preventative steps:

Encasements
    I've bought encasements for both my mattress and box spring.
    CleanRest Premium Mattress Encasement
    CleanRest Simple Boxspring Encasement
    Unfortunately I screwed up and didn't measure my box spring or mattress beforehand. So my box spring is only 6" deep instead of 9" and my mattress is only 11" deep instead of the 15" to 21" required. I assume this is not good and will give the bed bugs a place to hide in the folds of the encasements but I figure it is better than nothing at this point because it will at the very least protect the box spring and mattress. I am thinking of ordering some replacement encasements from The Allergy Guy.

ClimbUp Interceptors
    I have put ClimbUp interceptors on the wheels of my bed frame and on the legs of the only chair I have in my condo. My leather couch has really big "feet" and I could not find any Rubbermaid containers big and short enough to create my own makeshift ClimbUp Interceptors with diatomaceous earth and talcum powder.

Traps
    I bought some Bedbug Early Detection System traps that I am going to put near the baseboards of the area where I saw the bed bug, near the area where I placed my bag when I came home, in the seams of the couch and near the legs of my bed.

Isopropyl Alcohol
    I've bought 99% isopropyl alcohol from my local Walmart pharmacy and a spritzer bottle from my local home improvement store that I am going to use to spray on any bed bugs I see.

Diatomaceous Earth
    If you are near Toronto you need to know about the Urban Nature Store. They had so many things to deal with pests. I was also able to find 200g of diatomaceous earth which I was intending to use for some sort of home made traps.

Best case scenario is that was a lone unfed 4th or 5th stage nymph and I'm in the clear. Worst case scenario is that was a adult female who had already been inseminated and has already laid eggs in my place and I am 5 days to a week away from more bed bugs looking to chow on me.

What do you guys think my next steps should be? After all the research I've done my brain is kinda overloaded and I'm not sure what I actually should do. Taking everything I own and throwing it into plastic bags is probably too much but at this point I am so freaked out that I'm pretty close to doing that and then just sleeping in my tub for the next 6 months.

But seriously this is what I am planning on next:

Call in a K9 professional to see if he can detect any of the eggs. I'm worried that at this stage of the infestation it could do more harm than good to my psyche. If the dog barks at my baseboards near where I spotted the bug, my bookshelf where I left my bag or my leather couch but we can't visually identify anything I think I would go insane. At the same time I'm wondering if it is worth it to call in a PCO when there is maybe no bed bugs in my place and only a dozen eggs. Just have them nuke the entire condo and be done with it. I've already gotten a quote of $400 for my two-bedroom place from Pesticon.

Spreading diatomaceous earth near all the baseboards in my place.

Spraying isopropyl alcohol into the cracks by all my baseboards and into the steams and crevices of my leather couch.

Wash my bedsheets every 5 days to a week.

Wash all the clothes in my dirty clothes hamper every three days.

Going back to the Urban Nature Store and buying one of their CO2 generating traps to be more sure that I don't have bed bugs.[/list]

Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 9 2013 19:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard back from the restaurant today and they told me that they inspected the chair and found no evidence of bed bugs. I know I have no reason to believe they would tell me if they found anything but she sounded very sincere. Also when I walked by the restaurant today the chair was still there so I can't imagine they would keep it if they found anything.

Since my whole plan of attack is based off the idea that I only brought home the bed bug on Friday I'm starting to get even more stressed. I haven't see any other evidence of bed bugs other than finding one unfed 4th stage to adult bed bug but I'm really starting to considering getting a PCO in.

I got a call back from NIMBY today and they said they would charge $350 to bring in multiple dogs to sweep the house. If there are any hits they would then transition directly into treatment which would involve vacuuming, heat treatments, putting chemicals in the walls and powder around the floorboards. They said the cost of the treatment would be a factor of how many hits the dogs made and they won't visually confirm anything. Wherever the dogs mark they will treat with their full arsenal. I'm very leery of this method because I could easily be taken advantage of but at this point I just want some piece of mind.

I can barely sleep anymore. God damn these freakin' parasites.

3. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 9 2013 22:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump for Expert

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 9 2013 22:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I got a call back from NIMBY today and they said they would charge $350 to bring in multiple dogs to sweep the house. If there are any hits they would then transition directly into treatment

It sounds like they don't do a visual inspection following dog alerts, which is not what experts we know of recommend. See our FAQ on canine scent detection for bed bugs, for more on hiring a dog team.

Some of the other teams local to you will surely do a visual inspection, so choosing someone else is an option.

You can also search the forums for prior discussions of Toronto k9s. Here's one with some useful background.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 9:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Some of the other teams local to you will surely do a visual inspection, so choosing someone else is an option.

Is there any documentation on visual inspection really early in a infestation being almost impossible?

My main fear right now is that there is maybe maybe a dozen eggs laid under my baseboards. If a dog came in and marked those areas should I still expect a PCO to tear up the baseboards to confirm the eggs?

I'm waiting for quotes back from 5 PCOs but a this point I'm debating if I should wait a week or two to see if I see any more or detect any more evidence or just go nuts and nuke the entire condo.

6. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 9:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Magical Pest Control got back to me today with a quote.

For $350 they will bring in a single dog who will mark any hits. They didn't say they would confirm any of the hits visually.

They have three treatment options:

A chemical treatment which are two sprays two weeks apart and there is no guarantee of success for apartments and condominiums. Cost is a function of how many rooms are treated.

A heat treatment which is only a single application but is guaranteed for 30 days. Cost is $1000 and up or $1.50 per square foot.

A Cryonite treatment and there is no guarantee of success for apartments and condominiums. Cost is $500 and up (whatever that means).

So far I am not impressed with Magical Pest Control. They seem to only do one type of treatment are are very stingy with their guarantees. Also, their use of only one dog and no requirement of visual confirmation is concerning.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 9:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can assure you there will not be a dozen eggs laid under your floor boards. Natures influence through maternal instinctual behavior means that is just not how a good mother behave, they will be laid much closer to a source of food. The floorboards and outlets line is just a fear mongering scam induced by those who don't know enough about bedbugs.

Personally having read through this I am going to be blunt and say its a perfect candidate for the logic and simplicity of "treatment by Passive Monitor replacement". The documents for which will also help you to learn inspection skills and may cost you as little as $20 per bed and sofa.

When I see such light cases I never rush to chemically treat, nor go over the top with a thermal and will do physical removal combined with area optimisation and monitoring.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I opnely disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 13:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Max Power - 4 hours ago  » 

Is there any documentation on visual inspection really early in a infestation being almost impossible?
    My main fear right now is that there is maybe maybe a dozen eggs laid under my baseboards. If a dog came in and marked those areas should I still expect a PCO to tear up the baseboards to confirm the eggs?

I'm talking about a dog handler confirming a dog's alert with visual proof. Without visual proof, the dog's alert proves nothing. So yes, they really do need to do a visual search.

Remember, the dog's job is to help the human find evidence of bed bugs. Not to save the human the trouble of looking. If the dog has any skills, the handler's job of finding visual evidence is far from impossible.

Note also I would not treat without a visual confirmation. You could be throwing away money on something that doesn't solve your problem, if your problem isn't bed bugs.

9. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 11 2013 8:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally having read through this I am going to be blunt and say its a perfect candidate for the logic and simplicity of "treatment by Passive Monitor replacement". The documents for which will also help you to learn inspection skills and may cost you as little as $20 per bed and sofa.

Thanks for the advice David. I would like to monitor the area of my living room where I found the bug (it is between the corner near my entainment centre and my couch) as well as my bedroom.

What passive monitors would you recommend and do you know where to get them in Canada by chance? It seems specific bed bug supplies are hard to come by hear.

10. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 11 2013 8:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember, the dog's job is to help the human find evidence of bed bugs. Not to save the human the trouble of looking. If the dog has any skills, the handler's job of finding visual evidence is far from impossible.

It is unfortunate that every PCO in Toronto I've contacted doesn't do this. At least not for "light" infestations.

Thanks for the advice.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 11 2013 8:40:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Max,

Technically there is only one Passive Monitor as I have the method patent but there are others who call their devices Passive Monitors int he hope of riding on the coat tails as it were. The one I developed is marketed as either PackTite Passive or BB Alert Passive.

They are available through a few websites but I know BedBug Mutts who post on here carry them in stock, if you look at:

http://bedbugmutts.com

They may also be able to help you in finding a professional K9 unit who are confident enough in their dogs ability that they conduct visual confirmation.

Hope that helps,

David

12. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 13 2013 19:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the link David. Bed Bug Mutts were great and I've ordered two passive monitors. I plan on placing one in my bedroom and one in the living room area where the bed bug was originally discovered.

In the bedroom my bed is at least four inches from the wall on every side and all four legs of the bed frame are in ClimbUp Interceptors. I was planning on putting the passive monitor under the bed near the head. Is this the best place to put it?

In the living room the bed bug was discovered about 2 feet from corner of the living room and also 2 feet from my leather couch. Do you think I could put the passive monitor in the corner or under the couch?

Thanks again for all your help.

13. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 7:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump to get a response from David. I've received my passive monitors today and am still debating where to put them.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 8:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The bed sounds like a standard install, the couch is also a standard install on the under side.

There are plenty of images online that illustrate where to install.

David

15. Max Power

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 24 2013 10:29:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome thanks David. I'll install them tonight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat