Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

2 weeks after first spray, found 1 bed bug.

(8 posts)
  1. BBGROSS

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2008 17:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all.
    It all started about 2 months ago. I found 1 bed bug on my bed. I never saw a bed bug in my life and asked my landlord if it was one and he said he was not sure. Thats complete bullshit anyway because he was faced with a bedbug problem and then they traveled down to our apartment. He did his own home remedy and it apparently didnt work, only gave them to us.

So, i started to get really bad bites on my legs and HANDS. It was when they started on my hands that I really started to freak out. It had gotten so bad that my hand was all swallon. This is when I convinced myself I had to have bed bugs. And, sure enough after I came home from a concert one night there was one crawling on my pillow. So, I killed that bastard and then saved it. Then, i found another one crawling on my boxspring. Then another one on my comforter. So that whole night I didnt sleep and I washed all of my clothes, I mean every article of clothing I possible owned, except my cap and gown from graduation. I have about 10 3XL Ziplock bags still sitting in my kitchen.

The next day the exterminator came and then sprayed the following day. I left my apartment for the weekend and stayed with my boyfriend. I came home only to find 3 baby bugs crawling on my bed. I then stayed with my father for the next week because the exterminator said this was normally it takes about a week and a half for them to die off.

So, I still refused to go home after a week, about twice a week I sleep on the couch and the rest of the week I stay at my boyfriends. Because, immediatly after we found the 3 baby bugs my mom threw my mattress out. We didnt at first because the exterminator did not use any chemicals to kill the bugs he steamed everything and he also treated my bed and said it wasnt neccessary to throw it out.

So, now I am still bedless cause I am going to wait for the exterminator to come back this weekend to spray again and make sure all are gone.

Everything was going fine and I was actually starting to feel comfortable in my own home again. So, I have been checking around the surfaces where my bed once was. Lastnight, I found a big bed bug again! It was not dead it was ALIVE.

So, now here I am flipping out again.

Will 2 sprays be enough to get rid of these guys?

What if they invade my furniture and I have to throw that out too?

I AM SO SICK OF LIVING OUT OF PLASTIC BAGS.

I am SO SCARED THAT I BROUGHT THEM TO MY BOYFRIENDS WITH ME.

My mother is sick of hearing my complain about it because some how they only made their way into my bedroom, so far anyway.

I sleep with a big blanket covered over my couch and me on top of it. I cant even get comfortable here.

I dont want to lose everything I have, especially my furniture saying goodbye to my bed was enough.

Now I have been bed shopping and I am going to go with a memory foam bed because they are supposed to be bed bug resistant.

This is just turned into a huge depressing, disgusting, upsetting, sleepless expensive. When i sleep at my boyfriends I freak myself out too checking his bed like psycho. I would feel terrible if I brought them over with me. I take my zip lock bag with me now. But there were many nights I just went from my bed to his. And, I have brought my over night bag with me sometimes.

I am thinking that maybe I am going to need a therapist to get through this! NO LIE!!!

2. effinbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 0:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I got really freaked out when I discovered bugs in our apartment too. My room mate and I attempted to pull an all nighter watching movies because we didn't want to go to our beds! I was really miserable at first...calling up my parents and boyfriend crying, having regular meltdowns, being super paranoid, feeling kind of hopeless about the whole thing, even taking time off work. It didn't help my landlord was really awful in dealing with it (especially at first!!) but you know what? Things will get better.

I was really disheartened this morning to wake up covered in bites (I went away and they were hungry when I got back!) but I'm at the point where I realize there's no use in getting upset about it or I'll just let it ruin my life. I find what helps for me is to make lists in my head of actions to take to get rid of them.

Something I have really found that works is vacuuming. It gets the ones you can't see and mine is a little, clear handheld one so the ones I can see, I am glad they are suffering muahaha. I admit I have become a little OCD with the vacuuming but hey, whatever helps!

I wish this site had more success stories but I highly suspect the ones who did succeed forgot all about the bugs and this site so that's probably why things seem so pessimistic.

It's good you have taken steps already, like getting a PCO. That's half the battle right there. My landlord wouldn't deal with it so I had to take a day off work and call around, then argue with them to pay the bill. Very stressful, but I figure that was the worst of it. Until last night, things have slowly gotten better so I hope things go the same way with you. Just be careful about when you go to other people's houses so you don't spread them. And I have read not to change sleeping areas but I'm not sure?

Good luck! I hope you feel better. It is a really shitty situation psychologically! Who knew such little bugs could cause us such big problems!!

3. BBGROSS

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 10:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been extremely careful going to other peoples homes. Especially when I go to my boyfriends I put my clothes in ziplock bags. I am worried about the times before I didnt realize I had begbugs and I brought everything in my overnight bag with me. It is such a nightmare. Getting out of the shower and inspecting your towel to see if there is anything on it. Not only that but the exterminator said that he could hardly even tell we had beg bugs! Then, why did I see one after 2 weeks of the first spray if they arent THAT bad! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I just want to take my things and run. I was reading other posts where people have their things infumigated and then move into another living environment. I have heard to to continue your normal sleeping pattern. But, I just couldnt do it. The thought of sleepings with bugs drives me crazy. And, then my mom went and threw my mattress out anyway, which really upsets me because I loved that thing. She said, I would have never felt comfortable sleeping on it again anyway. And, I said I will enver feel comfortable sleeping in this ROOM again.

But, I am happy you are thinking on the positive side, everytime I start to get over it something brings me back down, like finding another bug.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 11:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, I totally agree with your name. When I first found the bugs, I was so unbelievably skeeved out that I had no words for it. The idea that those little bloodsuckers are in your home is, in fact, a totally gross thought.

Secondly, I know it's hard because it feels so very much like your home has been invaded, and there's so much sleep deprivation involved, but try to take a deep breath and read carefully through all of the FAQs on the site. A lot of them will answer a lot of your questions in more depth, and many of your answers are there.

Two rounds of spraying may or may not be enough to get rid of your problem. On the other hand, it may be. It's going to depend on a lot of factors that none of us can know. The bad news is that being out of your apartment and not in your bed makes it less likely that two treatments will take care of the problem, since most chemical treatments rely on using you as bait. If you're not there as bait, the bugs may not come out of hiding and cross the residual pesticides and die. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but unfortunately it's true. It's one of the limitations of our ability to treat the bugs right now.

I would hold off on buying a new bed until you're at least 55 days clear of bed bugs. That means 55 days after you last saw any evidence of a live bug. If you're not bed bug free, they're just going to infest the new bed, unless you isolate it. More on that in a minute.

I don't think that memory foam mattresses are any more or less BB resistant than any other kind of mattress. Bed bugs don't just live in beds, as the FAQs point out. Read the FAQ on isolating your bed to get an idea about what you can do to make your bed bed bug proof. Since your bed is already gone, it might be a good idea to get an air mattress and isolate that and sleep on that in your bedroom instead of the couch. Sleeping on the couch leads to a greater chance that the couch will get infested. Bed bugs aren't partial to beds; they just want somewhere to hide near their food source. If the food source moves, they will too. I'm not sure if your PCO treated the room the couch is in. Did the PCO treat the whole apartment? I mean, yes, if the PCO treated the whole apartment, sleeping on the couch probably won't hurt, but it's not drawing as many of them out, and I get the sense that like me you also want more certainty that they are gone. If that's the case, getting a new bed and then finding a bug a week later is going to freak you out, so getting an air mattress would let you get some sleep if you isolated it and allow you to hold off on buying a new bed until you're more sure it'll stay clear.

You saw bugs two weeks after the first spray because none of the chemical pesticides on the market kill bed bug eggs. Any treatment for bed bugs that doesn't kill the eggs means that about two weeks after treatment, when the eggs hatch, you get more bugs. That's typical, which is why there are almost always multiple treatments

I know it sucks, but doing a little more reading to educate yourself (even if your skin crawls while you do it, which mine did) will give you a sense of more control over this situation and help you make choices that will help you get rid of the problem as soon as possible.

5. BBGROSS

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 15:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal, thank you for your words. The exterminator did the WHOLE house, all 4 floors, basement, first floor, second floor, and attic. I hate to ginz myself but the 3 times I have slept on the couch in the past 3 weeks I have been fine. I really hope they do not begin to spread through out the apartment because the exterminator is not due back until Saturday, and I heard waiting 3 weeks for your second spraying is just too long.

What is different about my case is that the exterminator did not use any chemicals through out the house, he steamed the whole house instead of using chemicals, it is supposed to be better for the environment, the cat, and you can be home while they do it. Even though at this point who gives a crap about the environment, my cat can go somewhere as well as us. However, it is just all and all supposed to be better.

The fact of sleeping on our airmattress in my room, creeps me out as I will then be closer to the floor where these things are coming from!

Was just thinking that it is a shame you cant even enjoy your own home anymore. I would rather walk around the mall all night window shopping.

6. belle72

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 16:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

BBGROSS - 1 hour ago  » 
    What is different about my case is that the exterminator did not use any chemicals through out the house, he steamed the whole house instead of using chemicals, it is supposed to be better for the environment, the cat, and you can be home while they do it.

That might be your trouble right there...you have no residual in your home w/ steam only so if the steam missed some eggs, they are hatching and there is no poison to kill the new ones.

7. BBGROSS

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 17:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Then why would they even RECOMMEND STEAMING INSTEAD OF USING CHEMICALS!!!!!!!!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!

8. momo-chan

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2009 9:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just thinking about the fact that I have bed bugs CREEPS me out. I got bedbugs from a friend when she came over. She was explaining to me that her father had to throw her mattress away. I didn't pay it any mind because I didn't know they can travel. So about 3 weeks ago 4 days before new yrs I couldn't take the bites and pain anymore so I inspect my bed. And when I saw the bed bugs I cried like a big baby. At 6 am I threw out my mattress and box spring and I spend the whole day cleaning with clorox and other cleaning products. I washed all the blankets in hot water but I have no dryer so I had to hang it up to dry. I even washed all the clothes that were exposed to the bed bugs.

I brought new mattress and I put plastic on the mattress and box spring. I still continue to wash the clothes like every hour with hot water. I clean every day and I'm always buying treatment from Home Dept.

I feel like I'm going crazy with this whole Bed Bug situation. Today I woke up itching a little and I'm freaking out. I already started washing my clothes again. The only good thing so far is that I haven't seen a bedbug and they my pets (3 cats and 1 dog) are not hosts to bed bugs. I asked there vet and google it too. Deep down inside something tells me to wash all of my other clothes that were in my draws I mean how do I know if there in there. i'm going to have to spray everything from my computer stand to my dressers. I'm even considering spraying my mattress. This is how crazy I'm going. Does anyone have any advice PLEASE HELP if YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,604 posts in 31,237 topics over 95 months by 13,513 of 17,223 members. Latest: kittykat123, acaris, Closesuise