Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

1st time dealing with bed bugs and cannot sleep. Also allergic to bed bugs.

(15 posts)
  1. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 3:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

First sorry for the long post but my hope is venting will help me. I am so glad I found this website. My story started in June when my son and I started getting rashes all over my body. I then started having breathing issues as well. After many doctor visits with no help for the rashes or breathing issues that kept getting worse. I also started getting full body aches along with extreme pain. I have a high pain tolerance and this pain keeps me up. I googled and came up with bed bugs. Since my husband had no symptoms the Doctors we went to kept thinking that it could not be bed bugs since we all would have rashes. Well I did a search of my bed's box spring and found bed bugs. During all of this my symptoms kept getting worse. We put the found bed bugs in a plastic bag, threw out my box spring and called Terminix. We paid over a thousand dollars to get their 90 day guarantee with bed covers. Since I was having such extreme reactions to the bed bug bites I left the home and came back once the treatment and inspection were done. Per Terminix I caught it early and should be able to repack all our clothes the day after the treatment and have no more bites and bugs should be gone. Good thing I did not unpack my clothing. The next day after the treatment when I was back at home I got more bites. Then the day after that I got worse bites and had breathing problems. It was so bad I went to the ER. I was then diagnosed as one of the few who is actually allergic to the bites which is why I have all of the other symptoms I have as well. My son has not gotten any bites as bad. I know have an EPI pen and an inhalor (I had asthma when I was younger so this could also be why I am having breathing issues). If I get any worse I will have to keep going to the DR. I called Terminix and after speaking with a rude agent I finally got someone who understood what I was saying and that I need the exterminator out again asap because I actually have an allergy to bed bugs. I now have aneixty and issues sleeping which I will also be getting help for. My son starts school next week. I am hoping that this issue is resolved soon. I don't know how much more I can take. We cannot afford to keep staying in a hotel but if it gets worse I may move in with my nearest family which is in California but then I would be across the country from my son and I need to be home with him and cannot take him out of school. My husband works and I am a stay at home mom so we would have no one to watch my son and my husband needs to work. Thank you for letting me vent.

2. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 3:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm not that allergic, but I feel your pain to a certain extent. I hope terminix is able to make things right since you've already paid them.

3. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 9:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep us updated. Thinking of you and hope it is resolved. I am starting to wonder if I am also allergic because my feet get very tingly (where the bites usually are), and I find it hard to breathe. However I also did not sleep last night so I think that may be part of it.

I am glad that you have an EPI pen now; I have allergic reactions to other things and EPI pens are my BFF. Hopefully your husband can administer it if need-be.

4. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 22:48:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you bitemelady. So far no bites again on me (knock on wood). However my son had bites on him. I have been looking like a mad woman for any signs of bugs. After my son's bites we contacted terminix(they are already aware that I have an allergy and doctor's note etc) and ended up destroying a chair, my son's bed frame, and laundry basket I noticed bugs on. We got the steps on how to destroy the furniture without making the situation worse. We now have all metal bed frames that my mom found that deter bed bugs on all the beds. I am sleeping on an air mattress that I can check each day and normally wash my bedding every day or every other day. We still have all of our clothing in bags in a room that did not have bugs. Terminix is coming tomorrow to do a check for any more bugs. If any other furniture has bugs that will be destroyed as well. I know that is not the method for most people but in my case if there are still bugs in the couch or other furniture we are replacing it. I cannot take the risk of getting bitten. The two silver linings I have are I guess I caught them early because of the allergy so according to terminix my home is not badly infested. Not on the walls etc. I also found out what I was allergic to. Here is hoping that tomorrow goes well. I am also going with the chemical treatment so if they need to do another treatment I am to keep an eye out to see if that contributed to me feeling so bad the first night back home. Reason for chemicals is I was told that this method would get rid of them the fastest. It does cost a lot of money and nerves are tight and getting rid of things is hard but I am sure that things will hopefully get better soon.

5. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 23:11:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have any tips for living out of bags? We live in a small home and the rooms that were found bed bug free were the kitchen bathroom and playroom. So all of the clean clothing and bedding is in the playroom. Would love any organizational tips for finding things. Right now it is a huge pile of bags we are sorting through and not working well.

6. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 0:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! Me too! I only have a one bedroom condo and it's tiny. I have kitchen bags of all my clothes piled in the only other room! Bags bags bags...

When can the clothes go back in the cupboards and dressers? PCO comes for 2nd treatment tomorrow. I've been trying to mentally figure out how to get ready for work everyday while sleeping on the couch! What about big plastic bins? or are they not seal proof enough?

I don't understand the contamination process very well. My clothes are laundered at a regular Fluff and Fold service every week and they deliver them in plastic bags (see through). I've been with them for several years. I still have unopened packages of clothes from them BEFORE I learned of the BB. Would these clothes need to be rewashed? And what if your clothes are cleaned, kept in bags, you wear one item one day in your house. Does that mean what you wear that day is now contaminated?

7. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 0:54:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody who "reacts" to bed bug bites on any level is allergic them. Some reactions are a lot more severe than others. I tended to get hives and painful hard swellings under my skin that took many weeks (and in a few cases, months) to resolve. Bites on my hands did not itch so much as they stung and swelled with those hard knots under each bite.

Little bitty reactions to bed bug bites are also allergic reactions, though.

Sorry you went through all that. Be sure to launder your clothing on high heat for at least 30 minutes before sealing them away, and keep them sealed away (except for the ones you wear) for a good amount of time after treatment, so you're not starting the whole process all over again (the times I've seen quoted on here vary, but I'd wait several weeks after you cease having reactions or other signs of bed bug infestation before unpacking). It's a good idea to change into clean clothes immediately before leaving the house and immediately putting all discarded clothes into more sealed bags. A dryer is your best friend in this fight. Bed bugs can live a very long time without a meal.

PS, I'm not an expert. But I didn't have an easy time with my own battle two years ago, which about stole my sanity. It was all over with in relatively short order, but the emotional scarring remained. I risked exposure again a little over a week ago, which is probably why I've been around posting again lately...it's anxiety, even though I took about every precaution under the sun, and I've had no questionable reactions, or detected any signs.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  8. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 18:25:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you're going through this. I also hired Terminix ad they are doing their 2nd chemical treatment this Thursday. I have been seeing more bugs than ever since the first treatment. But they told me that I could put all of our bagged clothes up, so I did that.

9. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 20:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

OpenMyEyes - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry you're going through this. I also hired Terminix ad they are doing their 2nd chemical treatment this Thursday. I have been seeing more bugs than ever since the first treatment. But they told me that I could put all of our bagged clothes up, so I did that.

If you are still seeing bugs, I have some doubts about that course of action. I'm not an expert, but personally, until I know for sure they are all eradicated, I'd stick to the bags. BB's are masters of hitching rides.

10. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 0:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone. I am definitely going to not unpack. I was wishfully thinking that after today they would say bed bug free. However they found one live male bed bug. They did not see any eggs or casings. To be on the safe side they will be coming in on this Friday to do another type of spray. Then wait 14 days and check again. Then keep checking again and again until the 90 days is up. At least they are wanting to make sure this works. Also going to have my husband sleep in the room that had the most bed bugs. Since so far he has had no reactions he will be what they call the bait. They found the one bed bug in that room but need a live bait in that room. I am so happy I found this website. Talking to people who understand the frustration helps. I am thinking of ways to organize the bags. This helps keep my mind off of things. It is an emotional roller coaster.

11. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 1:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

On a side note does anyone go around their home trying to smell bed bugs? You think you smell something then you don't etc.

12. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 16:13:42
    #

Login to Send PM

In regards to unpacking- I spoke with the second person from Terminix who came before my treatment this Friday and asked again about unpacking. They said in my case please keep clothes in bags until no signs of bugs for a period of time. Not sure if my case is different than yours open my eyes but the first person did not know that I had an Anaphylaxis breathing issue. I would say ask Terminix to verify. I am going by the second person and keeping clothing packed up for now. Next treatment on Friday is an IGR (I think that is what they called it) treatment. So far no more bites. I have stayed out of the room that had the worse issue.

13. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 20:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

They decided at last minute (this morning) to not do the IGR treatment since no eggs/only one live male bug and no other bugs, no nymphs no castings etc were found last time. They did another full spray of all of the house today and did another through check of the house today. All rooms in the home show no bed bug activity. No eggs, live bugs,castings nymphs,etc. At the last treatment that was not the case. Very thankful and happy about this. Not sure what next step will be. Checked ticket online. Husband has phone where they will call him with further info. Still living out of bags for a little while longer and will slowly unpack them and do a thorough check of them plus check and clean everything in rooms before going back to our full "normal" living without bags. Will keep everyone posted with any updates. Thank you for all the support.

14. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 20:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Still no bites or signs of bed bugs yet. after second spraying Still living out of bags and checking daily plus vacuuming, etc. Waiting for next step from PCO.

15. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 7:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

My hope goes out to you! I too have all my clothes in bags. Most of them are in organized bags, a few of them are not organized yet. I've been meaning to label mine but haven't had the time. I guess I got lucky this time around since I got bed bugs after moving into a new place crawling with them, so I hadn't unpacked much yet. But all of my clothes have definitely already gone in bags. I'm not allergic to the extent that you are, but I react pretty badly to the bites myself, which is why the first time I had these godawful things in '07, I was compelled to learn what they are.

You probably know, but the baby ones are almost impossible to see, the only reason I've been seeing them is because I have white encasements. Anyway I'm so sorry you're going through this, it must be hell to have to go to the doctor. And I was cursing my life again. I sincerely hope the nightmare is over for you. I also feel for you with the anxiety. I have severe anxiety and depression and this is certainly not helping me so I understand.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat