(15 posts)
  1. ashkye

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 12 2012 2:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

I'm only 16 years old, and I'm quite the bug-phobic so my family seems not to take me seriously, so I'm taking matters in my own hands.

A while back (I can't quite remember the time), I received two bites. One onnthe sole of my foot and another on my ankle. They were weird looking bites, swollen, red, and something I've never seen before. The scars of the bites are still apparent and when I first showed my Dad the bites, he said it was
    a mosquito bite and shrugged it off.

Last Sunday, however, I went shopping and I tried on jeans and bought them as well. When I got home, my legs were extremely itchy and I didn't know why until I saw my legs and they were extremely red and swollen. I had a line of three bites on my foot and ankle (left), another perfect row of three on
    the back of my right thigh and also another pattern of three on my upper thigh/buttox area. I was freaking out thinking I was allergic to the jeans, and sadly, I washed the jeans TWO days after I bought it (stupid me). I visited my mom that following week/a couple days after I discovered the bites
    and she told me they were bed bug bites and googled a picture to show me. Now I was going to cry. I went to the doctor and she gave me some medicine and confirmed that it was bites, not an allergic reaction to fabric. I started to stumble on this site and research and now I feel like I def. have bed bugs in my room. I've been crying non stop since I've figured it out and I know it sounds over dramatic but I'm becoming insanely stressed and anxious. I can't eat, I can't sleep, and I can't focus even though school starts in a few days. I know it's stupid of me but I haven't been sleeping in my room. I check my clothes upon leaving but I just cannot stay in my room. My grandmother cleaned my room two times and rearranged the room and took my bed frame out and mattress to inspect because in her home country, she says there are always bed bugs but they don't have PCOs over there. She said she couldn't find anything.

Now I backtracked and remembered even before buying the jeans, I saw weird black dots on my floor. They looked like..boogers for the lack of a better comparison but small and black. I showed my grandma and compared it to a picture of bed bug feces I found online but she just wiped it off and said
    it was nothing.

My father bought me a mattress and pillow encasement, bug spray, and DE but I'm scared to apply the DE myself and my father has weak lungs so I rather not risk his health. I've also read that in the case where I need a PCO, they won't work with DIY methods and the chemicals will mess with each other. So I left the stuff in my garage.

I'm sounding over-dramatic to most of you maybe, but I've been crying nonstop, I'm so frustrated no-one believes me, I don't want to burden my family financially since it's not an apartment but our actual house and I've heard the costs of PCOs were extreme. I also feel like my parents will hire the wrong kind of guy and they won't find anything and they'll never discuss the matter again. I can't eat, I can't sleep in my room even though I know that's a terrible thing to do..

Now the reason I'm crying s much and becoming extremely depressed is because the fact that my allergic reaction to their saliva is extremely irritating. If any of you know a good bed bug exterminator at afforadable prices in the Baldwin Park, CA area, please let me know. And can you please help me. I'm suffering, and I'm scared that it'll affect my school work once school starts. I know you may be rolling your eyes at this point at a little kid who may just be suffering paranoia, but I can't do this.

Attatched below is a picture of the black matter I found in a crack from my room that I got off with tape and one I found on the floor. My grandma said it was just dirt or maybe spider-related but it looks oddly familiar.I taped that crack shut to see if I could catch a bug but I can't use myself as bait, the bites leave scars all over my legs and cause me to get small fevers and I don't want to risk that.

http://i47.tinypic.com/33m4npy.jpg

*EDIT: I think I found a dead bed bug that my grandfather killed, now I'm even more terrified. My aunt threw away the thing before I could take a picture. It was in the living room.

2. DreDay17

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 12 2012 3:18:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You said they were small and black?

I think that you should talk with your family about your concerns and see if they can be in fight along side you.

You said your father killed one but it would be best if you can get the bug id by a expert. If you so happen to catch be sure to take a pic and post a thread in it to have a expert ID it.

Also, read through the FAQ and resources.

3. Blackheart

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 12 2012 4:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashkye, so sorry for your suffering, I understand how you feel, don't feel bad about how you are reacting, I'm a middle aged woman and i feel much the same sweetie!

Yes, you need to convince your family you have a serious issue there, hopefully and get their cooperation.

I know its hard, but just breathe, remember bad times never last and life shall soon return to normal, maybe call the Property Standards people in your city for their advice and get some idea how you will beat this thing, you can and you will!

Hang out here, (it will keep you focused) and I know from experience it does help to talk to others dealing with this crappy problem!

Sam

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 12 2012 12:26:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry you feel like you're in this alone. It actually sounds like your family wants to help and if you get definitive evidence, they may do a lot more.

If your family is renting your house it may be the landlord's responsibility to treat for bed bugs, and this would be helpful cost-wise.

You need to try and be calm.

I understand you think you were bitten weeks ago and then again on Sunday. It is possible you have bed bugs at home, but it is ALSO possible you got the bites outside your home.

This is because there's usually a delayed reaction with bed bug bites (which can be from hours to days to even weeks later). So it's hard to know exactly when & where those bites occurred, if it was bed bugs.

Also, no one can diagnose bed bugs by looking at a skin reaction. Bed bug bites look different on different people and similar reactions can be caused by other pest or non-pest causes. Those are the facts.

Your doctor can guess they're bug bites, but my understanding is without a skin scraping, they can't even confirm it is an insect bite. And NOTHING the doctor can do can confirm a bed bug bite.

The only way to be sure you have them is to find evidence at home: bed bugs, cast skins, eggs, or fecal stains.

I am adding something to your title above so experts will know you need a photo ID here.

If you find any bugs, please post a photo. Read the FAQs -- especially the first four on that page (Bed Bugs 101), and learn more about how to look for bed bugs, but don't assume you have them.

Passive bed bug monitors may help you get a sample. Once you do, your father/other elders should take charge.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. ashkye

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 12 2012 15:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, still panicking and avoiding my room no matter how hard I try to stay calm and suck it up, it's really eating at me.

I'm going to beg my father to call an exterminator to check when he gets back, but I can't seem to find a reliable one based off reviews. Can you recommend me a good exterminating company? Pref. one that is near Baldwin Park?

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 13 2012 6:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Attatched below is a picture of the black matter I found in a crack from my room that I got off with tape and one I found on the floor.

You can't "get off" BBs faecals with tape, and BBs generally do not lay faecals on the floor.
    To my eyes, they're both not BBs related...

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 13 2012 10:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi is very experienced so I would be confident in his assessment.

If you do still want to get a professional to inspect, people here have had good experiences with Isotech in LA. (Most PCOs have a wider service area than just the town they're in and it looks like you're less than 20 miles from LA.)

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 13 2012 14:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ash,

Sorry but I cannot tell from those photos although I would add that it is somewhat unusual for bed bugs to leave fecal stains on the floor,l especially if it is out in the open on the floor.

> You need to stop crying, I can't think of any way that helps you.

> Are we 100% certain that it's really bed bugs? I'm not sure unless I find physical evidence.

> If you have a number of bites and it's bed bugs; there will be fecal stains, shed skins and live bed bugs to be found. As such, if you haven't found any bed bugs you either do not have bed bugs or have not yet found them. As such, you need to keep looking !

> Please refer to my articles, expecially the "Over 2012 Things to Know About Bed Bugs" which is posted on the resource pages of this website as that information will help you in your quest to become bug free.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

9. ashkye

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 13 2012 20:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't "get off" BBs faecals with tape, and BBs generally do not lay faecals on the floor.
    To my eyes, they're both not BBs related...

Really? The black matter I found in the cracks came off with fingers and tape.. so I'm assuming it could be a different thing? I do see a lot of black matter stuck on the floors that do not come off that look like pictures I've found on this site, but since many of you say it isn't, it reassures me for now. Thank you so much!

EffeCi is very experienced so I would be confident in his assessment.

If you do still want to get a professional to inspect, people here have had good experiences with Isotech in LA. (Most PCOs have a wider service area than just the town they're in and it looks like you're less than 20 miles from LA.)

I'm looking at their website right now, but my dad still refuses to even have a small inspection. I have a feeling if there is BBs hiding somewhere, it's going to take a huge infestation for my family to even care at this point. Thank you so much however! I will keep this website on deck.

P Bello - 5 hours ago  » 
    Dear ash,
    Sorry but I cannot tell from those photos although I would add that it is somewhat unusual for bed bugs to leave fecal stains on the floor,l especially if it is out in the open on the floor.
    > You need to stop crying, I can't think of any way that helps you.
    > Are we 100% certain that it's really bed bugs? I'm not sure unless I find physical evidence.
    > If you have a number of bites and it's bed bugs; there will be fecal stains, shed skins and live bed bugs to be found. As such, if you haven't found any bed bugs you either do not have bed bugs or have not yet found them. As such, you need to keep looking !
    > Please refer to my articles, expecially the "Over 2012 Things to Know About Bed Bugs" which is posted on the resource pages of this website as that information will help you in your quest to become bug free.
    Hope this helps ! paul b.

I'm 100% sure the dead bug I found on the table that my grandfather killed looked a lot like an adult bed bug. I'm still looking for shed skin but to no avail yet, it also doesn't help that we have rice on the floor that I mix up for being their skin or eggs (but its not). I'll continue trying to find proof to hold for a PCO since my family doesn't want to do anything about it. Thank you for the resources!

10. Blackheart

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 13 2012 20:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep on it Ashkye, and maybe print of some of the info from this site it seems you gotta convince your family this is a problem, lots of people stay in denial, I did in the beginning, I didn't want to believe it could happen to me. House is spotless.

Keep checking in and take care!

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 14 2012 7:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ash,

In my previous post my 1st point mentioned "stop crying".

Please understand that this comment was not made in a callous, gruff or insensative nature. Perhaps it's good to let out the anxiety in this way but, I'm a bug guy and not a psychologist type guy.

In any case, my intention is to coach you to help you to convernt your dispair such that you can focus on the resolution of your bed bug problem.

There are many here who will help you aong the way so, even though you may feel as if you are alone in facing this challenge, you have the folks here to back you up. And, rest asured that I'll keep an eye out for your posts and continue to comment if I can provide suitable assistance.

Good luck, you can beat this thing ! ! !

I hope this helps ! paul b.

12. ashkye

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 29 2012 21:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!
    So I thought I'd update everyone on what is the current situation. My father (after weeks of my convincing) called IsoTech for a free inspection for bed bugs. He checked every mattress and headboard in the house but not any wall outlets or drawers (which I shrugged off, he is the professional after all..) He couldn't find any evidence of bed bugs but indeed found carpet beetles in my headboard which he said looked liked bed bugs and I had probably mistaken it. After his inspection he said since the bites are around my legs that they could be fleas as well. Yet he did find it strange that everyone in the house was reacting to the same "bites" and recommended me to call a K9 inspection if we were still getting bitten and that the dog would pinpoint the source and is usually 98% accurate.

Just thought I'd share what is going on so far! I haven't got bitten (by "bed bugs" or "fleas", but now spiders are also biting me leaving even more disgusting bites) since I started sleeping in my grandmother's room which is good. My aunt and father have, however, but they don't seem to care~ So I think the case is closed for now, depending if my father gets more bites then I think we'd go through with K9 inspection just in case!

I'll keep you guys updated if we do proceed with further inspection.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 30 2012 1:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

ashkye,

If a human inspector from a reputable firm could find no signs of bed bugs, and everyone in your home is being bitten, it sounds like you might have fleas.

(People can react to carpet beetle hairs, but I am not sure of the likelihood of everyone in the home reacting. I really don't know much about carpet beetles at all.)

Why do you now think you're also being bitten by spiders?

14. ashkye

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 14:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 days ago  » 
    ashkye,
    If a human inspector from a reputable firm could find no signs of bed bugs, and everyone in your home is being bitten, it sounds like you might have fleas.
    (People can react to carpet beetle hairs, but I am not sure of the likelihood of everyone in the home reacting. I really don't know much about carpet beetles at all.)
    Why do you now think you're also being bitten by spiders?

It's most likely fleas, then. And yeah I'm not sure about everyone reacting to carpet beetles either, but the inspector said he saw at least one in every room he was inspecting. The spider bites occurred when I was in my grandmas room and the bite swelled up immensely, my knee was double its normal size and had two little holes smack dab in the middle. I just assumed it was a spider bite since it was that swollen! :c We have a lot of spiders in the backyard and my grandma's room's window is next to the backyard.

I'm not particularly liking this house right now.

15. bittenbitter

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 5:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my, but you do sound like me! We have a carpet beetle problem too, and springtails, and now spider beetles. We've always had harmless spiders. Most recently, put I've found house centipedes lurking about, and some kind of weird black beetle with grey dots on its wings. Its because this house is ancient. But nevertheless, it has my nerves frazzled. I'm working on my hubbie to move so I may preserve my sanity.

I have to say, though, bed bugs are elusive, but it doesn't sound like you have any. The best thing to do in your case is SLEEP IN YOUR BED and put a bed bug interceptor (they are very effective and sold cheap on Amazon) under each bed leg. Make sure your sheets don't touch the ground and your bed doesn't touch the wall. Since you haven't been in your bed forever, they've prolly wandered off and will find you again, but will have to climb the legs of your bed, which they'll never make it to. They will be trapped, you'll have definitive proof, and you'll not be bitten. Trust me hon, it'll work.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,407 posts in 44,515 topics over 136 months by 19,518 of 20,198 members. Latest: Amy2018, sleeplessinthebay, Bugsareicky