Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

1.5 mm white jumping bug in sink

(4 posts)
  1. bugration

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 29 2011 4:07:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a small whitish brown bug in the sink which I initially thought was a 1st stage nymph. Afraid I can't take a proper pic because my camera phone can't do good closeups of tiny objects. Anyway, I trapped it under a glass and although it generally crawled (being unable to crawl up and out of the sink) it jumped horizontally on several occasions. Not as far as a flea can but definitely several body lengths at least. Does this mean I can safely rule it out as a bed bug? It jumped on the flat part of the sink so it was definitely jumping and not falling. Thanks in advance!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 29 2011 6:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The jumping part rules out bedbugs. You may want to have a look at spring tails as a possible suspect.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 9:42:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, does sound like a springtail. They can be pale-colored, but some have mottling and some are more dark-colored. They do "hop" by quickly extending the extension that is at the rear of the abdomen and held under the body by a clip mechanism.

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  4. bugration

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2012 16:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David and loubugs. I compared the specimen with some online pictures of springtails, and indeed this bug seems to match. Even the profile looks the same. Anyway, most of all I'm pleased to hear that the jumping around rules it out as a bed bug!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,125 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter