100% guarantee to KILL ALL BED BUGS

(14 posts)
  1. ICAN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 6:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Kill all the bed bugs: Torch the building-- or spray inside with a deadly gas or dangerous, toxic chemical pesticide. Maybe dynamite will work. (DON'T DO IT!)

Now, that makes about as much sense as using a machine gun to shoot a turkey.

Why not use the non-toxic, safe and effective ways to get rid of the bugs?

How about--
    Steam, high heat (in washing machine & clothes dryers, microwave, dishwasher, oven, sunshine inside plastic bags, vacuuming, starvation (plastic bags etc.), plugging cracks & crevices, mattress encasements, safe sprays and dust which kill them on contact, just as dead as the risky pesticides do.

My dear departed husband brought home SCABIES a few years ago. The doctor prescribed the usual remedy for them. I rubbed him down from top to bottom with it. Very toxic chemical. I had to wear rubber gloves. It did not make the itching go away, but after several days killed all the bugs. I think he had to repeat the treatment for a week. The side affects are liver damage etc. I kinda wanted to keep my liver.

I should have made him sleep in the car, but he stayed in the same bed. No snuggling or anything else from me! I made a cocoon for myself with a clean blanket. I didn't wash all our clothes like you're supposed to, and nobody else in the house got infected.

What I did was search Google for a SCABIES cure. I got some TEA TREE OIL, and slathered it all over my body. I only got one bite. The TEA TREE OIL took away the itch. I also put some of it in my bath water for several weeks, to discourage any new bugs from taking a taste of me.

I'm thinking that the bed bugs won't like the taste of that stuff, either. I kind of like the smell. Reminds me of the Eucalyptus oil they use in the spa. It might keep the bed bugs from biting my skin and might even kill them. It's worth a try--at least it can't hurt.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 6:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

excuse me, but i wonder why you titled your post as you did?

(or perhaps i woke up without my sense of humor plugged in? Or perhaps i'm so hungry for a 100 % cure that i was hoping against hope that after i clicked on your post i was a little disappointed to not find a some sure fire cure as promised)

3. ICAN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 7:30:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to disappoint you. Having bed bugs is no laughing matter. (How do I know?!) The topic is certainly "overkill". Pun intended.

The point I was trying to make is that you can kill bed bugs without using methods that harm humans. Dead is dead, 100%, whether you zap them with something harmless that really works, or use dangerous chemicals.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 8:08:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not attempt to kill BB in your stuff using a microwave.
    Tea tree oil is not a long term solution vs bed bugs. We have no indication that it has any beneficial effect. It's quite expensive and for many people in high concentrations is a skin irritant.

ICAN. Are you dealing with a bedbug issue? How can we help you?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. ICAN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 12:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic/articles/jaic21-02-001_2.html

You can use the microwave to kill bed bugs and their eggs on some things. You just have to be careful what you put in it, and how you do it, and for how long. Follow microwave rules and precautions.

Heat kills bed bugs. I've used the microwave successfully on a number of things, and had my share of failures, too.

Yes, I have some bed bugs. I'm working on the problem. I slept with the light on last night--not my favorite thing, but it helped me get some sleep, even if it won't keep them from biting.

Some day, in the not too distant future I hope, I can post my own success story of victory over those hated bed bugs.

I was successful in getting rid of Scabies with Tea Tree Oil. Yes, it can irritate your skin, but you aren't supposed to use it full strength. It's expensive, but there are suppliers onlne where you can order it for less. You might want to get a small amount to try at the health food first.
    People who have sensitive skin might not be able to use it, but it's one possible way to at least discourage bites and keep the ones you have from itching.

6. aaghbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 14:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

My ex-gf who got bedbugs and passed them onto me was always using Tea Tree oil in large amounts before she went to bed. She used it before she got bed bugs, but she still got them, still got bites, and still reacted to the bites. I am not saying that it has no effect, but unless you come up with some really unique and expansive uses for it, I doubt it is going to be the difference in getting rid of them.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 15:34:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Didja notice the word "experimental" in the paper's title?

People fighting bedbugs might be too overwhelmed to experiment safely.

Why would you recommend "remedies" that can't be applied safely and consistently by the average person, especially when more effective solutions are available?

8. BBGen0cide

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 16:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Herbs make them go into the walls.

9. ICAN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 18:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

So, cilecto oldtimer, how did you get rid of your bed bugs? (I was reading your posts, but there are a lot of them.) Can you share your story again, or refer us to that information in your file?

What did you learn from the bed bug experience? Please share, if you would like to. Thank you.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 19:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

ICAN - 6 hours ago  » 
    http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic/articles/jaic21-02-001_2.html
    You can use the microwave to kill bed bugs and their eggs on some things. You just have to be careful what you put in it, and how you do it, and for how long. Follow microwave rules and precautions.
    Heat kills bed bugs. I've used the microwave successfully on a number of things, and had my share of failures, too.

People here have used a microwave in the attempt to kill bed bugs in their stuff. A number of them have reported starting fires and/or destroying their belongings.

I strongly recommend that people do not use a microwave or regular oven to decontaminate items. It is dangerous to you and your stuff.

I was successful in getting rid of Scabies with Tea Tree Oil. Yes, it can irritate your skin, but you aren't supposed to use it full strength. It's expensive, but there are suppliers onlne where you can order it for less. You might want to get a small amount to try at the health food first.
    People who have sensitive skin might not be able to use it, but it's one possible way to at least discourage bites and keep the ones you have from itching.

Bed bugs are very different from scabies.

I can report from firsthand knowledge that tea tree oil will not keep bed bugs from biting you. It will not keep bites from itching, and in fact, even if diluted, it has a strong astringent quality and dries your skin, therefore you will likely see an increase in itching.

(And note, I've used tea tree successfully for other purposes.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I might have used this method. Does that make your methods safer and more effective? This will be my last response to you on this thread. I believe that enough experienced people on this forum have debunked your advice. Our work is done.

12. ICAN

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! Bed bugs are really tough critters. I was hoping getting rid of them would be a piece of cake--guess not.

I agree that you can set your house on fire if you aren't careful with the microwave. (That would be a 100% bed bug cure.) And the oven would do the job, too. Let's not.

You can make almost anything in the bed bug arsenal unsafe if you don't use common sense. So called safe methods can be very unsafe, like blowing DE around in the house without a respirator, and vacuuming it up and re-applying it some more etc. Some victims have complained that their lungs ache after treating with it. That's serious.

Or shooting some steam into electrical outlets. That was a good one.

Did you read about the heavy acetone spray job here in this blog?

Or applying dangerous chemicals and dust on the bed and then putting their face on it all night to breathe it in.

What we're aiming for is a 100% bed bug kill without the 100% human demise, the safest most effective way. I want them gone! (the bed bugs).

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

ICAN - 18 minutes ago  » 

You can make almost anything in the bed bug arsenal unsafe if you don't use common sense. So called safe methods can be very unsafe, like blowing DE around in the house without a respirator, and vacuuming it up and re-applying it some more etc. ...
    Or shooting some steam into electrical outlets. That was a good one.

All of which us "old timers" recommend against.

The site has FAQs on DE and steam which suggest safety precautions. They certainly do not support the methods you are mentioning above.

Did you read about the heavy acetone spray job here in this blog?
    Or applying dangerous chemicals and dust on the bed and then putting their face on it all night to breathe it in.

When I see suggestions like that, I respond that I think they are unsafe. (Sometimes they are simply deleted.)

I would be surprised if you saw a post like that where there were not old-timers responding with strong warnings.

If you find some posts like that which did not get questioned, please bring them to my attention (copy the URL). Or question their safety yourself.

What we're aiming for is a 100% bed bug kill without the 100% human demise, the safest most effective way. I want them gone! (the bed bugs).

Yes, and you're free to do anything at your own risk in your own home, but I repeat that microwaving items can be dangerous.

If you make a suggestion here that is not safe, you're encouraging others to do things that may harm them.

14. JDog_90305

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 1 2014 16:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I was shocked to find out I had bed bugs. Shout-It-Out will kill the bedbugs DEAD. I took my entire bedroom apart and CLEANED and even rearranged my furniture. I sprayed Shout-It-Out on the visible bugs. Allowed it to dry and then vacuumed them off. I then used Hot Shot Concentrate and sprayed EVERYTHING included my dresser and nightstands, my carpet and also sprayed the bed rails and mattresses. I then used tree tea oil mixed with water directly on both mattresses because bedbugs don't like the smell of it. I wash my linen in HOT water, Tide and Clorox bleach including my under bedding. I spayed Tree Tea oil directly on the under bedding.

For the next week I used only white sheets so that if any bugs were present I could see them immediately. So far so good. I will repeat the Hot Shot Concentrate by respraying my mattresses and the entire room carpet. After I wait 2 hours I will then again spray the mattress with tree tea oil (mixed with water of course).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.