1 BED BUG NO OTHER SIGNS

(12 posts)
  1. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 20 2009 14:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

About 3 weeks ago I found a bed bug on my couch. I found it because I felt an itch on my back and when I checked it looked like a insect bite. So I started to freak out because my building has just been notified of a bed bug infestation in many of the apartments: a line, b line and c line...I live on an F line where there have been no complaints but I'm aware of how these things travel, so when I felt the bite I freaked out and started looking and I found it! Killed it! and began looking for more. I took down curtains, flipped my mattress, checked the crevices of the couch, my daughters crib and play pen, threw away clutter, and found nothing. I have not been bitten again. I am super paranoid, refuse to sit on my couch, and go to bed with a flashlight. I even bought DE and sprinkled it on the perimeters of the apartment, in furniture and around bed legs. I no longer sleep well and am constantly feeling phantom bites, meaning I scratch but nothing is there. My daughter has not been bitten at all. Could one have gotten in? if so that means more can get in...what can I do to help prevent an infestation. My lease isn't up until next may which means i have no choice but to stay... and when I do move I plan on leaving everything behind. I don't want to risk bringing anything with me. I need some words of encouragement... Or should I be freaking out?

2. BugzBGone

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 20 2009 16:40:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there.

I had a similar problem. My parents had an infestation, but I only had a few bugs in my apt that appear to have gotten treated early. (I had been on the lookout for them after what happened to my parents, so I was very vigilant!) I am still in that process and will have a 2nd spraying next week, but 3 visual inspections by a licensed bed bug PCO have turned up so signs of trouble.
    I know there are a lot of different opinions out there, but personally, I feel it is possible to just get 1 or 2 bugs, and if caught early, they won’t spread. We just don’t want to assume that’s the case since we know they can be sneaky! My advice: Can you get a FREE inspection by a PCO in your area, or look into a bed bug K9? (My parents did that and it was very helpful in locating the problem). Can you check with your landlord? If other apts have been infested, maybe they can have your apt checked, too? Try to stay calm and keep us posted. I would definitely have it inspected, though!

3. de-selftreat

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 20 2009 21:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

@trulysincere: stop freaking out. You don't need to leave all your stuff behind, especially if you are staying till May you have plenty of time to work out whether there are more. But are you really sure it is a bed bug? The level of hysteria on this forum is often ridiculous, and I'm afraid that to me, you fall into that category. Chill out, please. People lived with bed bugs for centuries and didn't make it into the main thing in their lives, and I think you're behaving in a slightly crazy manner, if you'll forgive me saying so. But I agree you should get a dog in for safety's sake, and if you get the all-clear then you have to make yourself relax.

4. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2009 12:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I called management. Exterminator came and I think I did a better job of looking for signs. Yes Im ridiculously freaking out cause I've heard some horror stories not just online but from people in my building. Plus I have a nine month old to worry about. I just cannot deal with possibly being badly infested somewhere down the road. I already have a stressful job, am a single mom
    and gradute work. High strung? Yes! With good reason? Hell yeah! Lol. And. Yes it was definitely a bed bug. No doubt about it. Confirmed by my fiancé. And sis in law who had them last year.
    So I've taken precaution. Isolated the crib and sprinkle DE in cracks and moldings and corners. Hoping to kill the ones who try to make their way in from other apartments. One apartment has had thrm for 3 years now. Another tenant opened the door to the exterminator with the damn things crawling on him. Another tenant fought them for months with an exterminator and they just came back. She moved out taking only her birth certificate and is now suing the landlord and is seeing a therapist

I am so out of here when the lease is up. Signs or no signs. And I prob take my things but only after checking, spraying, steaming, and dusting.

I wonder how long it takes for an entire building to become infested? I live in a building that has two sides and is 6 stories high and one below. It's pretty big. And not well kept. Shorty work. Lots of dogs. Smells like urine in the hallways from the dogs, people hang out in the halls doing illegal things. It's just not a great place which is another reason for me to get out!

5. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2009 12:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I always forget to explain that my fiancé lives in another state which is why I call myself a single mom lol. So no he's not here to help me or keep me calm. I'd probably feel better if I had someone around to distract me.

6. sisterfaith

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2009 14:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I also only found one bug, but I had about 20 bites, so I obviously had something around that was biting me. I've been bite and bug free for 4 weeks.

I totally understand your fears. I put my fears to rest a bit by firstly making my bed a "safe haven".
    I put stainless steel bowls under my bed legs, filled with diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. I later replaced these with Climbups, because I wasn't trying to discourage a bug from attempting to get on my bed...I needed to see if there were any bugs around, and Climbups would protect AND give me info.

I also washed my wooden floors with diluted Murphys, and vacuumed, every night until an exterminator could come and spray.

I moved my bed away from the wall, and make sure sheets/blankets don't trail on floor.

I put my boxspring and mattress in encasements...so I know there is NOTHING that can bite me.

I also panicked. I was ready to throw everything out. I did clean out some clothes, and threw out rattan baskets, but I bagged everything else. When you calm down, feel more in control, you can decide what to do with the things you bag. Make sure you either use clear bags or label your bags, or you'll be searching high and low (like me!) for the one thing you really need.

I still sleep with lights on. I still need some background sound to go to sleep to. I still swipe at imaginary things on my arms and legs. I try to NOT check in at bedbugger web site at night before bed.

I can see that you have a LOT to deal with, baby, job, life!
    This group is a great help....keep researching and asking questions, even dumb ones!
    Information will keep your panic at bay. Remember you are BIG, they are SMALL!

Good luck!

7. BugzBGone

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2009 14:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said, SisterFaith, and congrats on being BB Free! You've done geat work!

8. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2009 16:42:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sister faith did you eventually find more bugs hiding somewhere? 20 bites is a lot! I'm so sorry you went thru that and I hope my daughter and I never have to endure that... especially my daughter...
    What are climbups? How do you know that you are bug free? just curious... cause I would love to say that I only had that one and am bug free, but I feel like i'll jinx it...
    I have a metal frame bed which I know they could if they wanted to, climb up, but so far nothing, and my daughter has a wood crib and they (crossing my fingers) have not gotten into her crib...(GOD PLEASE DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN).

My mom comes over to help me sometimes and I fear she will bring some back to her cluttered apartment... in which case my dad will flip out... I'm trying to avoid that but my mom has very little concern. I give her a bag to put her belongings while she's here and she just puts her stuff down random places...I"m like ugh! you're gonna drive me crazy! so the other week I went to my moms house and slept over.... the next day I put the baby down for a nap and decided I would nap too. I removed my moms sheets and I saw a little black speck of "dirt". I picked it up just in case, even though I swore it was a pin head size dirt. then I squeezed it between my nails, and blood squirted!!! OMG! I freaked out again....made my mom check her bed, although she didn't do a thorough job... my dad says they always get these little black bugs.... but I told my dad "YEAH BUT THIS ONE HAD BLOOD IN IT"
    They still didn't panic... I wish I was that brave.
    They have so much clutter that even if they did have it, they probably would never find them until the infestation was really bad. I really hope that doesn't happen to them.

My apartment is clutter but my closets are, but I haven't gone into them at all cause I'm just scared to find something I don't want to see... should I clean out these closets? Should I wait to see if I really do have bed bugs?

btw, these are the things I have done:
    sprinkled DE around, and under furniture.
    Put tape around crib legs, and place plastic bowls under them... I haven't really done anything to protect my bed frame, i guess because then I won't know if I do have them unless they climb up and bite me (shriek!)
    but I did buy a mattress encasement and my box spring is in a plastic covered (duct taped)

I just bought silicone caulking stuff whatever thats called...lol... and plan on covering the cracks (many of them!)
    I also bought outlet covers

I know that it seems like I'm over doing it, but please remember that my building is infested so I have to take precaution even if I don't have an infestation.... and who knows, maybe they are in my couch, microfiber couch with lots of crevices and cushion...a safe haven for bed bugs (ew!)

I still let my daughter play on the living room floor. I have a little carpet for her which is probably a bad idea, but she's so little and needs the cushion...and I don't want to stop her from crawling and developing, as much as I want to protect her I don't want her to live with too much restrictions due to stupid bed bugs. And as much as I don't want her bit, I know she wont remember this later in life... me on the other hand is a different story

LMAO! For those of you who are parents, I'm watching Yo Gabba Gabba with the baby and they are playing the kids song "You don't have to, be afraid...don't be afraid, don't be afraid, it's ok!" I'll take it as a sign! ha ha ha

9. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 9:19:26
    #

Login to Send PM

oh boy! so this morning I found something near my face...I jumped up in a panic, got some tape and grabbed it... it's not alive...
    I'm not even sure what it is... I'll try to describe it:
    its an unevenly oval shape
    when held up to the light it is translucent but cloudy
    has two colors 1)cloudy white and a light brown or tan color.
    I don't see any limbs, well a possible little one, but really hard to identify
    i don't see a head.
    I'm wondering if this is a cast skin... or an egg from another insect
    it is not flat, more like a roach egg, but is not a roach egg!
    It appears to have a slight opening, not split down the middle, but at the top of it

I have been up since 5 am even though i'm really tired I can't bring myself to sleep in my bed.

The problem with me is, i have a phobia of certain bugs, most bugs... especially roaches and waterbugs, and now bed bugs. I'm like one of those people you see on Maury running and screaming at the sight of one... luckily when I moved in last year I put bait to kill the roaches and I have not had a problem since. I also sealed huge holes that keep the rats out and just when I thought I was safe from the top two vermin a New Yorker could have...boom! I may have an infestation of bed bugs...

I have not had any welts but I do have tiny, single, red dots on different places on my legs. Not sure if its from shaving, but most likely they are bites. They do not itch and I probably would not have notice them, but I check myself every day. When that first one bit me, it itched right away, but only for a little while and then I didn't even notice it, it even went away within a matter of a week

I check the bed every night, and last night there was nothing on the bed, so to wake up with something next to my face was sickening! especially for someone with a phobia!

I also have a rash like patch on my left leg... it looks like a whole bunch of tiny red dots... like when a bruise is healing, but I don't remember bruising myself.

I need some feedback cause I'm going to be an emotional wreck and thats not healthy for me or the baby, and i'm NOT going on Maury! hehe...

oh wait, and i found like black/brown like shavings in my daughters crib which i also checked last night and nothing was there... im so confused... i have absolutely no idea what these things are.

And I don't have a camera to take pictures and post. and the pictures come out very blurry on my phone.

what worries me most is that i'm freaking out now and have only a few signs, like the one big one we found, and now this weird looking egg/skin thing, as well as tiny red and painless/itchless dots... so whats gonna happen to me in a couple of months when these things are crawling up my walls??? Or if me and my daughter respond badly to bites?

what if I take them to work? I work in a public school!

Please let me know what you think... thanks!

10. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 11:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Your building is infested with bed bugs. Unless you start blocking access points, the odds are against you. If you are seeing over a two week period over eight bugs that is a bad sign, there is only one suggestion borrow a camera and take a picture. You don't need a digital camera, borrow a regular camera, get it developed and scan it digitally.

11. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 15:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

the "Shavings" I found on my daughters crib were not specks like everyone describes bed bug feces to be... they were long, flat and slightly curved ie. like very small pencil shavings..
    I poured peroxide on it just now, and it fizzed...what does that mean? blood? what could this be?

12. truleysincere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 25 2009 23:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a picture of what I found in my baby's crib
    [url=[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/41825128@N07/3857381057/][/url]]null

Does anyone have an idea? is this bed bug related?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,100 posts in 29,397 topics over 90 months by 12,677 of 19,937 members. Latest: needhelpidbugnyc, fireant, bugbastards