fire

Self-treatment for bed bugs probably caused Cincinnati fire

January 26, 2009

This article from Local 12 in Cincinnati, Ohio reports that a resident’s attempts to self-treat for bed bugs likely contributed to a fire last night in Scottwood Avenue in Bond Hill. Investigators believe the resident was treating a bedroom with a mixture of alcohol and bug killing solution. A cigarette may have ignited fumes generated […]

4 comments Read the full article →

Out of the fire and into the frying pan

September 27, 2008

The Red Cross relocated the Mathis family to a Cleveland Days Inn, after a fire chased them out of their home. And guess what they encountered in their hotel rooms? That’s right, bed bugs. Imagine having your home burn down (due to arson, no less), evacuating, and then having to deal with bed bug bites […]

2 comments Read the full article →

Salt Lake City Firehouse closed due to bed bugs

January 25, 2007

According to kutv.com, the firefighters blame the infestation on a homeless shelter they are called out to regularly. “What are we going to do? Strip everyone down and make them take a shower before we let them in the shelter?” asks Diane Keay of the Salt Lake County Health Department. “I don’t think we’re going […]

13 comments Read the full article →

How about a nice 277-year-old remedy?

December 21, 2006

One reader asked how people got rid of bed bugs, say, about the year 1910 before modern chemical treatments were invented. Well, how about the year 1730 and this published formula? Warning: This is extremely flammable. We have not used this method and we strongly recommend you do not either. LETTER TO THE EDITOR (Note: […]

12 comments Read the full article →