Swiss Army Recruits Battle Bed Bugs in Dormitories

by bedbugger on July 6, 2016 · 12 comments

in bed bugs

Flag at Metsch Station

According to Yahoo! News, some Swiss Army recruits are battling a valiant foe: bed bugs in infantry training school dormitories:

The defense department said Monday that a parents’ day event planned for July 16 is being cancelled because bedbugs have appeared in dormitories and fabrics used by three companies at an infantry training school in several parts of French-speaking Switzerland.

It said no one’s health was in danger but “several recruits had bites typical of bedbugs.”

(Remember, though, that you can’t diagnose bed bugs from skin reactions, because they don’t look different from skin reactions caused by other pests and non-pest causes.  These photos of bed bug bites show some examples. Instead of trying to diagnose bed bug bites, look for visual signs of bed bugs: bed bugs, cast skins, eggs and fecal stains. Our bed bug photos may help!)

According to Yahoo! News, the affected Swiss Army dormitories are undergoing treatment by “specialists”, and the affected companies won’t travel to the planned Parents Day celebrations on July 16th, for fears of contaminating others.

The summer of 2016 is still young — what other parties will the mahogany-hued army ruin this year? Hopefully not yours.  But if you’re struggling, please come to our forums for support and suggestions.

A tip of the hat to forum regular BigDummy, who alerted me to this story.

Bed bugs have previously affected all kinds of living spaces, including US Marine Base Camp Lejeune, in North Carolina, in 2010,

Image Credit:
“Flag at Metsch Station” by Joeri Cornille, used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 winston o buggy July 6, 2016 at 10:27 pm

One can only ponder as to which tool works best on a Swiss Army knife?

2 nobugsonme July 8, 2016 at 2:49 am

They really should come with a loupe!

3 NotSoSnug July 8, 2016 at 1:21 pm

NoBugs, glad to see you posting up in daylight for a change!

4 nobugsonme July 8, 2016 at 10:08 pm

“The Vampiric Hordes of Satan’s Mattress” is high poetry, and highly accurate, NotSoSnug. I stand corrected!

5 BeenBedBugged July 21, 2016 at 11:43 am

Nobugsonme mine came with a little magnifying glass for starting a fire, I used it for looking at things though!

6 Rebekah August 16, 2016 at 6:48 am

Glad to see some current comments etc most here are old from 2007 and such. But yes we got Bed Bug and in researching how to get rid of these damned parasite have seen these products from domyownpestcontrol.com
A liquid you dilute: Demand CS Comments say nice smell
And Cyonara 9.7 also a liquid as above diluted sprayed from a Tank Sprayer Comments say horrible smell
And Gentrol IGR Concentrate which you mix in with one of the above
Has anyone here used these products? The Product Reviews at this website are most all positive just raving how these product eliminate Bed Bugs and Long Term! The reviews all look to be legit! But one has to wonder….
Thanks! Just sharing what I have found cant say if they work yet. Have to get paid again before I can buy them.
With this BB epidemic in America you’d think the EPA or some org would HELP with costs based on ones income. But O! Thats right because our immigration laws are NOW SO lenient NOW WE HAVE bed bugs AGAIN in the USA!

7 nobugsonme August 20, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Rebekah,
Please log in to our active user forums and repost your comment there as a new thread. This FAQ may help if you need to know how to register for and use the forums

I don’t want to go too off topic here but I will note that people in other countries are experiencing a resurgence of bed bugs just like those of us in the US. Immigration isn’t really the source of your bed bug problems.

8 MBB September 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm

““Mahogany hued army” got a laugh from me, but surely isn’t ominous enough to describe the utter horror of the Vampiric Hordes of Satan’s Mattress.””

Absolutely fantastic. I work in this business – those were also probably the “nicest” descriptions of these critters.

9 bkh1928 September 13, 2016 at 2:56 pm

YouTube bedbug forum. Do not know how to maneuver around. Short story. My daughter was given a bed bug infested mattress without her knowledge. Then six weeks ago my granddaughter spent two nights in my bed. Now I am waking up with welts bites on my arms. No sign of bugs so I need help with detection and then what to do. Desperate old lady

10 nobugsonme September 15, 2016 at 11:45 pm

bkh1928,

The best place to get input is in the Bedbugger Forums, where I believe you’ve posted. View your profile in the forums to see your posts and find responses.

I am not familiar with the the “YouTube Bedbug Forum.”

11 Mario September 22, 2016 at 10:47 pm

There really is a lot worse out there than the bed bugs, ya’ll lucky you aren’t in the Amazon or Africa messing with some real insects!