Another Cincinnati DIY treatment results in a fire (and this time, $100K in damages)

by nobugsonme on August 9, 2011 · 4 comments

in bed bug treatment, bed bugs, cincinnati, DIY bed bug treatment, fire

FOX19 in Greater Cincinnati reports that yet another fire was started at home on Monday by someone trying to do their own bed bug treatment, in an apartment in Avondale, Ohio:

The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental after a tenant was trying to get rid of bed bugs in her apartment using an alcohol solution.

Damages are estimated to be $100,000.

Thankfully, no one was harmed.

This is not the first time we’ve heard of bed bug DIY treatment leading to a fire, and it seems to happen an awful lot in the Greater Cincinnati area.

Could there be a connection between this recurring scenario and the fact that landlords don’t have to pay for bed bug treatment in Cincinnati?   And while landlords do pay for treatment in neighboring Hamilton County, the situation there is complicated — landlords of buildings with up to three units may treat the building without an applicator license. (More about that here.)

Why is this relevant?

Because Cincinnati tenants who can’t afford (or who believe they can’t afford) professional bed bug treatment are likely to self-treat for bed bugs.

And Hamilton County tenants whose landlords do not eliminate the problem may also attempt to do their own treatment.

DIY treatment methods can be ineffective and can even make bed bug problems worse. They can also be dangerous to humans and property, as in this case.

Warning: if you must self-treat for bed bugs, use caution.  Alcohol is a contact killer but is also extremely flammable.  Moreover, on its own, it isn’t likely to solve your bed bug problems.

Remember to use products in accordance with labeling instructions. Do your research before you start to treat.  If at all possible, get an experienced, knowledgeable professional to treat your home.

 

Update 8/10/11:

WKRC in Cincinnati reports that the Red Cross is helping to rehouse seven people who were made homeless by the two-alarm fire.

If no video is embedded above, click here to view the video on WKRC’s website.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
1 nobugsonme August 10, 2011 at 9:46 am

Update 8/10/11:

WKRC in Cincinnati reports that the Red Cross is helping to rehouse seven people who were made homeless by the two-alarm fire.

If no video is embedded above, click here to view the video on WKRC’s website.

2 CarpathianPeasant August 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

Housing (shelter) is a basic need. So, first of all, it’s fundamentally a social problem, and it’s arrived at on an unexpected individual basis. So (first of all), it’s not being addressed as a social problem.

When you are talking “landlords,” that’s a business matter. “Business law” can be as variable as the two sides of a street with a corporation line running down the middle of it. What someone learns on one side of the street isn’t applicable to the other side.

And, that’s my observation for the day. Location: Greater Cincinnati, more specifically Northern Kentucky.

3 denise horton August 11, 2011 at 11:44 am

MY GRANDMOTHER IS 90 YEARS OLD I NEED HELP SHE CANT SLEEP IN HER BED. I NEED HELP

4 nobugsonme August 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Denise,

Please come to our forums. Forum users may have able to give suggestions about trying to help your grandmother. You can register and then log in and post here: http://Bedbugger.com/forum

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: